lyman cougar breechplug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokemaker

Reaction score
I just picked up a lyman cougar in 54 cal for $100.00 brand new unfired. I need to convert it over to a 209 ignition system if possible. Could :?: someone please tell me if there is a breechplug for it or if the breechplug from the new lyman mustang breakaway will work?

Not sure what the Couger looks like. Sounds like a deal but not sure what the rifle is set up for (#11 caps???). If so I am not sure I would convert to 209 primers anyway. I have converted all my 209 rifles to the .25ACP breechplug to get rid of the troublesome 209. If it is set up for caps the firing pin is likely not correct to set off a 209 primer and that would have to be changed also. Sounds like more work than necessary. I would just shoot the rifle as designed.

The lyman cougar pretty much looks like a tc black diamond but with a longer cocking handle, and it is Italian made. Iowned 1 in the past in 54cal and it shot good but i sold it to a buddy of mine and know he will not sell it back. Right now it has a #11 nipple in it To get the striker to work with a 209 should be an easy fix on a lathe. The reason that i am going through all this trouble is that i really like the feel and handling of this gun. The areas that we hunt up here in Ontario are pretty thick and i wanted to put together a short barreled dogging gun. I want to cut tha barrel down to about 19 inches and do a TCqla on the muzzle. My main hunting muzzleloaders.right now are a TComega thumbhole laminatedwith a 3x9 and a Knight disc elite with a 2.5x10, while these two are great for shooting across a corn field they just don"t cut it when your in the thick stuff.

I have a 54.cal Cougar that shoots big conicals really well with it's 1-24 twist barrel. I'm not much for #11 caps so I switched it to musket caps, with no problems.

One suggestion, if I may...fill in the hollow stock and change the recoil pad. My recoil pad would crush into the stock and you could really feel the edges of the hollow cavity cutting away at your shoulder :shock:

Back