Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice fg,

god I need to get started on my apex stock lol

did you every find out who makes that mold.

Wake that dog up this is exciting stuff :) Nice job FG I can never leave anything alone either.

That is a nice looking rifle for sure. You did a nice job. It always makes you feel good when you can have a finished stock like that. What did you use to strip off the old finish?

60 and 80 grit sand paper. There wasnt a whole lot of finish on it to begin with.

Most of the steel is ready for browning. Just need to work on the barrel and snail area a bit more and then heat everything up and brown.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

just heat it up with a clean burning propane torch and get it hot enough to sizzle water, then dip a swap into the solution and rub it onto the hot steel. Making instant rust.

I like to do 2 coats and then rub back with steel wool and do it a couple more times until i get the color i want.

yeah this time i will. I normally use the LMF brand but i dont feel like using a week of my time letting it slow rust. I want a darker rust color on the barrel as well and i get that with the BC Plum brown solution.

I was looking at the dixie site for bluing touch up and saw the bc stuff, wonder how a short barreled gun would look like browned?

Mainly showing the stock redo in this picture. 5 coats LMF Honey Maple, an assortment of hand rubbed and sprayed on truoil finish that was then buffed to a antique shine using 0000 steel wool soaked in linseed oil so i wouldnt cut through the truoil.
4.jpg

The barrel i did last night and invested almost 4 hours of time into it. My fingers are split open and hurting, burned my finger after heating the barrel up afterward prior to oiling. But it was all done with love so i dont mind.

Spent 45 minutes wrapping the barrel up with thin cotton string, filled a spray bottle with bleach and gave the string a good soaking. A total of 1 hour 20 minutes for the final look. Its really hard to tell due to the camera flash but the barrel is actually a gray-blue. I like the tiger finish on the barrel.
DSCN1398-1.jpg

DSCN1407.jpg

The lock i used 220 grit sand paper to rough up the surface and also left some of the color case on the hammer here and there to give it a worn - well used look. The lock took about 40 minutes with a heavy coat of bleach.
DSCN1403-1.jpg

Going to finish up the rest of the metal trim later tonight and then take a look at the under rib to see what material i can remove to lighten up the front end on this rifle.

Love that first pic you used for the forum banner.

Is the tiger finish something they did when the barrel was manufactured, and will that tiger finish remain after you are done finishing the barrel :?:

Aalso, what does the bleach do :?:

sitsintrees said:
I was looking at the dixie site for bluing touch up and saw the bc stuff, wonder how a short barreled gun would look like browned?
Not right.

Marty said:
Love that first pic you used for the forum banner.

Is the tiger finish something they did when the barrel was manufactured, and will that tiger finish remain after you are done finishing the barrel :?:

Aalso, what does the bleach do :?:
I do the tiger finish my self. Using thin cotton string i wrap the entire barrel up and then use a spray bottle full of bleach and soak the string. Where the string touches the barrel the tightest, it builds up more rust in that area and stained the steel a darker color, leaving a stripe look after the string is removed and the barrel wiped down. After i wash it down with a water - baking soda mixture to stop the rusting, i put the barrel onto the wood stove and warm it up until its a bit to hot to touch and spray it down with Barricade so it really soaks into the pours. Give it an hour to soak up and then just wipe down the excess oil. Its good to go after that.

The bleach mainly causes rust and light pitting.

Latest posts

Back