Lyman Plains bullet sized and PP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I had a little window early this morning to shoot my stock 1:48 twist .54 Cal TC New Englander with my Lyman Plains bullet sized to .533 and Paper Patched. Last time out i deep cleaned this barrel with my little handheld steam cleaner, knowing my first shot would be AWOL I didn’t even bother trying to catch it on my target, i burned that shot and then swabbed good, reloaded and started my 5 shot Group, All in all i am VERY pleased with the results, again this is a stock 1:48 Twist Barrel without the QLA Muzzle, My first shot was just to the left of the Bull (i ran up and checked) then i shot 2 more shots and ran back up to check, 1 was about 2 inches from the first shot, and the other was REALLY high? It barely caught the top of my target frame, breaking the top frame board, i have no idea what happened on that shot?? I headed back and shot the other 2, they were right with the other 2 just left of the bull. While this isn’t anything super great, it is VERY workable! I believe with some tinkering i might be able to get it better? But for a stock 1:48 Twist barrel and PP bullets this is about as good as i have ever done.

RVaj6jI.jpg

This is the Lyman Plains bullet i shot the above target with, they measure .85 in length in both .50 and .54 Cal, i have had REALLY good luck with this bullet in both .50 and .54 Cal, mostly Lubed and shot like a Maxi ball, but i have shot these bullets sized and patched in both my fast twist .50s and .54s with really good luck, FAR FAR better than Maxi Balls. This is a good bullet! I sent some of these to forum member Harleysboss a year or so ago and he shot them very well in his .50 GM LRH

NIAPCr6.jpg

Here is a target that Forum member Harleysboss shot with the above Lyman Plains bullets, i think this was the .50 Cal? As stated above, I have had AWESOME luck with both the .50 and .54 Lyman Plains bullets in Several different rifles, and a few different Guys shooting them, in fact i cant think of a Rifle that hasn’t shot the Lyman Plains bullets well? If i were on the fence about buying a Maxi Ball mold, I would buy a Lyman Plains mold in a HOT SECOND and DITCH the Maxi Ball :yeah:

d24L9f1.jpg

Latest posts

Back