Lymans great Plains hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
G'day all,

To ne upfront, I have no ability to buy this rifle in the foreseeable future but a man can dream!

Just wondering what peoples opinions of them are? I'd like to one day get a caplock but still have a fast twisting barrel suited to modern projectiles.

Any other considerations for such a type of rifle?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

JPHunting said:
G'day all,

To ne upfront, I have no ability to buy this rifle in the foreseeable future but a man can dream!

Just wondering what peoples opinions of them are? I'd like to one day get a caplock but still have a fast twisting barrel suited to modern projectiles.

Any other considerations for such a type of rifle?

Fantastic rifle . Shot many a deer with one using 90 to 110gr triple7 and a 425 gr conical . If you get one you wont regret it

I have the Great Plains Hunter with the 1-32 twist. If you load it light it shoots round ball real well. It will also shoot conicals and large sabots. Mine is a flintlock. And it is a beautiful rifle.

Re: RE: Re: Lymans great Plains hunter

cayuga said:
I have the Great Plains Hunter with the 1-32 twist. If you load it light it shoots round ball real well. It will also shoot conicals and large sabots. Mine is a flintlock. And it is a beautiful rifle.
Do you have much trouble with ignition in the flintlock version? I like the idea of them but lining up on a big stag and having a misfire scares Me!

Re: RE: Re: Lymans great Plains hunter

JPHunting said:
cayuga said:
Do you have much trouble with ignition in the flintlock version? I like the idea of them but lining up on a big stag and having a misfire scares Me!

I would like to say that I don't. But I do if the flint gets dull. But if the rifle is well prepared, and the powder dry, there is a 95% it will go off. And that is kind of the challenge. I really like flintlocks.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Lymans great Plains hunter

cayuga said:
JPHunting said:
cayuga said:

I would like to say that I don't. But I do if the flint gets dull. But if the rifle is well prepared, and the powder dry, there is a 95% it will go off. And that is kind of the challenge. I really like flintlocks.
Yeh I imagine it would be part of the allure. I quite often stalk through rain so I'm not sure how well that'd suit. Would caplocks be much better in terms of hunting in the rain etc?

I know a guy that is using the Lee 500 S&W bullet paper patched in his Lyman. It shoots sub 2" groups with a peep sight at 100 yards.

If it means anything, one winter in a snow storm, I hunted all day with a Lyman Trade Rifle flintlock. I kept the lock covered most the time. And every 30 to 45 minutes I wiped out the pan and put new powder in the the pan. When the time came, I shot a nice doe at 52 yards and the rifle went off without a flaw. Just like a summer day. If you take care of the lock in bad weather, they will go off. And a good sharp or new flint when you hunt takes care of a lot of problems.

cayuga said:
If it means anything, one winter in a snow storm, I hunted all day with a Lyman Trade Rifle flintlock. I kept the lock covered most the time. And every 30 to 45 minutes I wiped out the pan and put new powder in the the pan. When the time came, I shot a nice doe at 52 yards and the rifle went off without a flaw. Just like a summer day. If you take care of the lock in bad weather, they will go off. And a good sharp or new flint when you hunt takes care of a lot of problems.

+1 :yeah:

each rifle is at least somewhat unique. taking the time to work out its inherent reliability in all conditions would be a good prerequisite for taking it afield and hunting.

Back