Lyman Great Plains Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
I've had a lot of down time since catching the Covid 19 virus.
I just saw that Davide Pedersoli co is now building the Lyman Great Plains rifles. I also see that Pedersoli has changed the twist from 1-32 to 1-24.
This kind of surprises me a little. I can't help but wonder how well these would shoot paper patched bullets. I would have to do something about that butt plate but I would like to try one.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/newproducts/great-plains-signature-series

I have the Lyman/Pedersoli GPR Signature rifle in 54cal. It has a 1:66 twist.

Ron, I haven't personally shot any paper patch bullets in a 1-24 twist "Yet" but don't see why they wouldnt. If the butt plate is a problem for you then maybe you could check out the Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter ,it has the 1-24 twist and has a soft butt plate similar to your modified Hawken in fact check out the video Lewis did on one.

Ron, I haven't personally shot any paper patch bullets in a 1-24 twist "Yet" but don't see why they wouldnt. If the butt plate is a problem for you then maybe you could check out the Pedersoli Traditional Hawken Hunter ,it has the 1-24 twist and has a soft butt plate similar to your modified Hawken in fact check out the video Lewis did on one.

Its been a long time since I did any honest looking at the new guns that are out. I have not seen that model from Pedersoli. That one would be a very good option for guys getting into rifle that should be able to shoot conicals well at extended yardage. I do like the lines of that rifle better than the Lyman model. I also see that the Pedersoli Lyman uses a Drum. I am not a fan of those. I had one blow out on a CVA.

That peep sight would have to be replaced with a model that is adjustable.

Back