M90. For you real DWB’s viewing pleasure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All you DWB’s . I am considering getting an M90 . The breechplug is not a plug nipple combination like the super 91 but rather a breechplug that a nipple screws into.
Here’s the problem : the breechplug doesn’t come out . The previous owner rounded it off trying to remove it . Anyone know of a fix for this ? I don’t have a problem with changing nipples but I think the breechplug needs to be fixed so it comes out . What’s your suggestions ? Anyone have a breechplug that fits an M90 and any suggestions on removing it ? Heating it up would probably destroy the bluing.

Re: M90

you could take it to a weld shop and have them tig a socket to it then put a impact on it to take it out or a breaker bar.. have taken 2 Knights to welding shop and had this done on frozen plugs.. if guy is good tig welder it only takes a few minutes.

1874sharpsshooter said:
All you DWB’s . I am considering getting an M90 . The breechplug is not a plug nipple combination like the super 91 but rather a breechplug that a nipple screws into.
Here’s the problem : the breechplug doesn’t come out . The previous owner rounded it off trying to remove it . Anyone know of a fix for this ? I don’t have a problem with changing nipples but I think the breechplug needs to be fixed so it comes out . What’s your suggestions ? Anyone have a breechplug that fits an M90 and any suggestions on removing it ? Heating it up would probably destroy the bluing.

dbowling said:
you could take it to a weld shop and have them tig a socket to it then put a impact on it to take it out or a breaker bar.. have taken 2 Knights to welding shop and had this done on frozen plugs.. if guy is good tig welder it only takes a few minutes.

1874sharpsshooter said:
Thanks. Good idea. Any and all suggestions are welcome
I would love to have an M90 but want it usable
Waiting for pics and barrel condition description, then I will decide

So if you are able to get this plug out would you then have a new one custom made????

toytruck said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
toytruck said:
:huh?: What's a M90?
The predecessor to the super 91
10 prototypes were made and 60 regular. All handmade by Doc
This one is a prototype

Learn something new every day...thanks I never knew that!
Quote from Doc

DOC: I started designing the 91 in the late 60s when, as a joke, I built a bolt-action muzzleloader to spoof the traditionalists at Green River Rifle Works. I used the Springfield as a guide with its pull-cock action and with a Model 70-like stock and lines. We all laughed and went our way.

The rifle sat rusting for years until Tony Knight was bold enough to come out with the Knight M85. I got it out, spent several years messing with it, deleted the bolt and kept the pull-cock for simplicity, and brought it out in 1990 as the M90. I made 60 guns by hand and sold them all.

M90. .451 caliber
Walnut stock prototype ser# 4. A touch of White history

Attachments

• CAD91DDE-0451-4754-AB2E-E5D18BE48A77.jpeg
    CAD91DDE-0451-4754-AB2E-E5D18BE48A77.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 444
  • AEF8C209-8A8F-4237-826C-FAE9D16DF968.jpeg
    AEF8C209-8A8F-4237-826C-FAE9D16DF968.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 444
  • 534638F9-5D90-41C7-8BD1-426A3A2939E0.jpeg
    534638F9-5D90-41C7-8BD1-426A3A2939E0.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 444
When you say heating it up would destroy the Bluing i assume you mean torch Hot? You could try a Steam cleaner, if you Point the nozzle of a steam cleaner directly at that Breech plug and nail it for about 1 minute with piping Hot Stram it will get HOT, REALLY HOT! But safe Hot, it won’t hurt the Bluing. Depending on how Rounded it is, A little handheld steam cleaner might just do the Trick? A steam cleaner should be in every Blackpowder finatics Bag of tricks :yeah:

Looks good, other then breach plug what's the difference from a S91??

sbuff said:
I haven’t compared real close but the two obvious ones are a plate with 2 screws on left instead of one screw for bolt removal and the m70 safety style versus s91 safety
Bottom two pics kinda show those two features

Re: RE: M90. For you real DWB’s viewing pleasure

1874sharpsshooter said:
Personally I would try a good penetrating oil letting it soak multiple time then just use a heat gun and heat action area then I'm not sure by the pics but if you can get a vise grip needle nose on that nipple you might be able to bump it loose maybe put some rubber hose in the bottom so the needle nose won't damage anything if it breaks free ?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

1874sharpsshooter said:
sbuff said:
I haven’t compared real close but the two obvious ones are a plate with 2 screws on left instead of one screw for bolt removal and the m70 safety style versus s91 safety

I thought some 91 and 91-11 came with the m70 safety, that's why it threw me for a curve ?

Steve

sbuff said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
sbuff said:

I thought some 91 and 91-11 came with the m70 safety, that's why it threw me for a curve ?

Steve
Not sure .. all my 91 safeties are different than the m90

Latest posts

Back