Magkor Black Mag '3 is now Black Mag Industries Black Mag XP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some BM3 and some Bh209 here and I just used my TC view measurer to pour out some loads and run accross my digital scale. Heres what I got. I like both powders, but I get faster speeds though the chrony with the BM3.

100gr Volume BH209 = 65gr
100gr Volume BM3 = 92.5gr

But you definetly get more shots out of a can of BH209!!

fisher2072 said:
I have some BM3 and some Bh209 here and I just used my TC view measurer to pour out some loads and run accross my digital scale. Heres what I got. I like both powders, but I get faster speeds though the chrony with the BM3.

100gr Volume BH209 = 65gr
100gr Volume BM3 = 92.5gr

But you definetly get more shots out of a can of BH209!!

fisher2072,

I used a beam scale to weigh my loads, and the T/C brass powder measure. I also tapped and settled the loads, which can add 5%+ to the weight/volume. Not all measures and scales are created equal, but I will take a beam scale reading over a digital scale reading every time.

I would say either your measure is light, your scale reads light, your powder is less dense, or there is less humidity. Have you got a weight to check your calibration? Try weighing 2 equal measures of powder individually and then together, see if the total weight is exactly double. Example, 2 of your 65 gr WEIGHT loads of BH209 should weigh 130 grains together. Sorry for doubting, but I don't trust digital scales for the final word.

Humidity and Lot #'s can change the weights of powders, my BM'3 is very fine like dust, if yours is cut more coarse it will be less dense and therfore weigh less.

Just got this e-mail reply from MDM, asking about any dealers in MI.

"Currently the BlackMag3 powder is available factory-direct and we're working on setting up dealers to inventory it. If you have a dealer in your area, have them contact us and we'll discuss the dealer program if they are interested."

I wonder if they can make it Happen?........like stay in business.

Busta,
I have a beam scale also, and my digital is a jewlers scale that is spot on with the beam and very accurate. I was using a TC u-view, but I did not tap the measurer to compact the loads. I just filled it flush with the top, and dumped onto the digital scale. There's just that much difference between a compacted load and uncompacted. Our percentages between the BH209 and the BM3 were pretty close though!

I think I'll stick with BH209. For almost the same price per amount, I'll go with the stuff that's non-corrosive.

Sounds like another just high cost & unnecessary blackpowder sub. Is it impossible to make a powder that we can afford, and that works in all modern muzzleloaders? It must be.

For me it has to be $20.00 a lb or less. It also has to work in any inline. Otherwise I won't be using it.

Swampman said:
Sounds like another just high cost & unnecessary blackpowder sub. Is it impossible to make a powder that we can afford, and that works in all modern muzzleloaders? It must be.

For me it has to be $20.00 a lb or less. It also has to work in any inline. Otherwise I won't be using it.

I'm more concerned with what works in the muzzleloaders I own. I don't really care if it works in others or not. And also which powder will have the least amount of negative affects on my ML. But that's just me.

Okie Hog said:
Looks like the gurus at BM have done it again. At that price i will stay with Goex Pinnacle.

Amen!!

Pinnacle Rocks! It's always worked fine for me. :D
If APP ever ground Pinnacle to dust(Like BM) it would be EXACTLY the same potency 8)

And also which powder will have the least amount of negative affects on my ML. But that's just me.

None of them have any negative effect if used correctly.

Swampman said:
And also which powder will have the least amount of negative affects on my ML. But that's just me.

None of them have any negative effect if used correctly.

I agree, but I would rather not use a highly acidic/corrosive powder if I can avoid it. Plus, most of the BP subs are hygroscopic which reduces shelf life and means it will immediately start collecting moisture once it's exposed to air or after being fired. I prefer BH209 over any of the other subs for those specific reasons.

Latest posts

Back