Mainly for SML but not exclusive

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
How many would be interested in a LONG RANGE, 1,000yd, SML muzzleloader match?

This is very preliminary, but I've been in contact with the Marksmanship Training Center here in Michigan and they state that they could facilitate a SML 1,000yd match. This would not take place in 2022 but rather sometime in 2023 when they have openings.

Shooting would be from the prone position using bipods at paper for score.

Honestly, I've never setup a match and don't have the first idea how to make this happen but, with help it could happen.

What say you?

http://www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.com/

Are you thinking about just 1000yds? Or maybe others, too? I am a long way from shooting 1000 but would be interested in going whether or not i shoot.
At the present time, just 1,000yds. Depending on a mountain of things, including the number of shooters, a day of 3 relays, or even 3 on one day and 2 on the next.

The gentleman I've been communicating with appears to be very open to a SML shoot. He even made mention that if it were held when the F class shooters were there, there might be a possibility of electronic scoring and maybe even some help.

There's no possible way I could put this together for this year. My lungs are .. starting .. to get better but, on July 28th my knee is being replaced, so I'll be out of commission for 8wks minimum. (If the wife approved, I'd try to make the Sept Atterbury match. I highly doubt it).

If it were a BH shoot, I'd have to say that a 20moa base won't get you to 1K and you'd need a 40. However with SML there should be no problem with a 0moa base.

I know that 45-70 knows exactly what I'm talking about :) but...... there will be many who want to shoot from a bench and use expensive full length rests, etc. At the MTC they do not use benches, which means that it'll be a prone shoot using a bipod. Its like Xring mentioned.... one standard for all. Lots...... of work.

At the present time, just 1,000yds. Depending on a mountain of things, including the number of shooters, a day of 3 relays, or even 3 on one day and 2 on the next.

The gentleman I've been communicating with appears to be very open to a SML shoot. He even made mention that if it were held when the F class shooters were there, there might be a possibility of electronic scoring and maybe even some help.

There's no possible way I could put this together for this year. My lungs are .. starting .. to get better but, on July 28th my knee is being replaced, so I'll be out of commission for 8wks minimum. (If the wife approved, I'd try to make the Sept Atterbury match. I highly doubt it).

If it were a BH shoot, I'd have to say that a 20moa base won't get you to 1K and you'd need a 40. However with SML there should be no problem with a 0moa base.

I know that 45-70 knows exactly what I'm talking about :) but...... there will be many who want to shoot from a bench and use expensive full length rests, etc. At the MTC they do not use benches, which means that it'll be a prone shoot using a bipod. Its like Xring mentioned.... one standard for all. Lots...... of work.
All bullets must be supersonic at 800-900 and 1000 yards to register on the electronic targets. The microphones in the 4 corners of the target backer will not pick up the supersonic crack if a subsonic bullet passes through the target. They do not have pits where the targets are pulled up and down to score. X

All bullets must be supersonic at 800-900 and 1000 yards to register on the electronic targets. The microphones in the 4 corners of the target backer will not pick up the supersonic crack if a subsonic bullet passes through the target. They do not have pits where the targets are pulled up and down to score. X
This is a conservative charge and a 300gr bullet.

Drop chart.JPG

How many would be interested in a LONG RANGE, 1,000yd, SML muzzleloader match?

This is very preliminary, but I've been in contact with the Marksmanship Training Center here in Michigan and they state that they could facilitate a SML 1,000yd match. This would not take place in 2022 but rather sometime in 2023 when they have openings.

Shooting would be from the prone position using bipods at paper for score.

Honestly, I've never setup a match and don't have the first idea how to make this happen but, with help it could happen.

What say you?

http://www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.com/
would be interested

This is a conservative charge and a 300gr bullet.

View attachment 21968
Just curious.....what M/V at 1000 yds with a 10mph headwind? If you drop below 1100 FPS the hit won't register on the screen at your firing point.
You need to contact Bret Solomon at the Mich. Rifle and Pistol Assn. He is the long range director. The B.P. Div. shot with the H.P. guys at our last match at Grayling before they raised the rates beyond sky high. If you could arrange something with him, you might be able to shoot with the H.P. guys. Bret is a good guy and a commercial diver. Be advised though, I believe there is no practice. Not sure about sighters, time limit, etc. I do know that the F class target is smaller but the backer is still 6X6. The L.R. flyers are posted on the MRPA website.
I know that MTC has gongs out to 1000 yds. so you would most likely be able to spot misses
If you are interested in mid-range, there are 3 matches at Cadillac every summer. NO SMOKELESS. Rules would be almost identical to Atterbury. Contact Bill Bruske, MRPA Black Powder Div. Director. You would have to arrange things with him to shoot with the BP guys. 3 man squads, 30 min. time limit. No pair firing. The BPTR flyers are posted on the MRPA website also.
It would be infinitely easier for you to shoot at an established match rather than to start from scratch. Advise from a former long time match director..................X

Just curious.....what M/V at 1000 yds with a 10mph headwind? If you drop below 1100 FPS the hit won't register on the screen at your firing point.
You need to contact Bret Solomon at the Mich. Rifle and Pistol Assn. He is the long range director. The B.P. Div. shot with the H.P. guys at our last match at Grayling before they raised the rates beyond sky high. If you could arrange something with him, you might be able to shoot with the H.P. guys. Bret is a good guy and a commercial diver. Be advised though, I believe there is no practice. Not sure about sighters, time limit, etc. I do know that the F class target is smaller but the backer is still 6X6. The L.R. flyers are posted on the MRPA website.
I know that MTC has gongs out to 1000 yds. so you would most likely be able to spot misses
If you are interested in mid-range, there are 3 matches at Cadillac every summer. NO SMOKELESS. Rules would be almost identical to Atterbury. Contact Bill Bruske, MRPA Black Powder Div. Director. You would have to arrange things with him to shoot with the BP guys. 3 man squads, 30 min. time limit. No pair firing. The BPTR flyers are posted on the MRPA website also.
It would be infinitely easier for you to shoot at an established match rather than to start from scratch. Advise from a former long time match director..................X
Bret is already aware of this possibility. The director of operations at the MTC is including him in our exchange of emails.

"George,

We could facilitate a 1000Y Smokeless Muzzleloader match. Whoever the match director is, have him/her contact us directly to schedule 2023 dates.

The only issue is, the match would be from one firing line which is 1000 yard. We don’t have 800 or 900 yard firing positions.

Additionally, CC’d on this email is Bret Solomon who runs the MRPA long range matches in Michigan and also Jim Grissom from the Michigan F Class team. With the 6x6 bullseye targets, they are using electronic scoring system. If coordinated, maybe they could assist."

1656375120527.png

Latest posts

Back