Maker Rex Subsonic Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_4684.JPG

This Maker 350g Rex Subsonic 0.451 bullet was provided by DJ_Brutus

IMG_4682.JPG

Distance between rifle, and bottles = 25 yard. Powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn.

IMG_4685.JPG

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

The first three bottles were destroyed. The fourth bottle had more damage than just holes. The fifth bottle has hole in, and hole out. The bullet did not hit the sixth bottle, instead it went out sideways, and was lost. The sixth bottle was undamaged. The petal was found on the right side of the horse below the middle of the horse. The petal weighs 47 grain.

Headed out this morning to shoot the bullet using 50 grain Blackhorn, and also to look for the bullet shot yesterday, that wasn't found

IMG_4693.JPG

When the bullet hit the target it made quite a noise, much louder than normal. Observing the target one sees the bullet went through sideways. No use to shoot the bullet using 50 grain load.

Well as long as the trip was made, and we were out there it was decided to make an eighty grain load, and see if the bullet couldn't be found this time.

One of things that has been an issue shooting at this location is the horse sits in a different plane than the flight of the bullet. To hit the rear bottles, one has to aim high on the front bottle. It was decided to shore up the front legs of the horse. Bottles in hand were set down on the ground. Looking for something to put under the legs, a stick was found right behind the horse. The stick was placed under the front legs.

IMG_4689.JPG

When the bottles on the ground were retrieved to set on the horse, the bullet was seen right there on the ground. Wow what a shock that was. The bullet wasn't found yesterday, because it ended up under the stick. The bullet was under the stick. Because the bullet was found, no more shooting required..

IMG_4690.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

Not sure this result isn't a good one. Seems the bullet would do much damage to an animal.............
That is a valid point. Acts similar to a controlled fracture bullet of sorts I suppose, yet should still open well at low velocity. I shot one into gel my last time out. 4FECFA90-F676-4D45-9B60-7536B2BC636C.jpeg
90gr (V) BH209, in an HPH24 sabot at 50 yards. I had the same issue as you, with my sawhorses not being on the same plane, and bullet bottomed out just after entry, which led to the third petal being bent inward. I tried twice more to capture another but couldn’t make it happen.
This bullet is designed for the .450 Bushmaster (.452 listed diameter). I also have the same bullet style made for .45-70 (.458 listed diameter), and it is .13” shorter (1.27” vs 1.14”) in length. Should stabilize a bit easier. I shot those using a black crush rib sabot. Had good accuracy from both bullets. (With limited time, had only shot them with the 90gr loads).
I wanted to see your results with them to have an apples to apples comparison with other known bullets, and really appreciate you taking the time and resources to do so. Thank you!

You might have to shoot it in a sabot. My 350gr bullet testing with 50grV (35grW) posted a MV right at Subsonic velocity.

I wanted to see your results with them to have an apples to apples comparison with other known bullets, and really appreciate you taking the time and resources to do so. Thank you!

No problem. Trying to catch bullets is kinda like fourth of July was when we were kids. You may have too much fun trying............be careful.

Latest posts

Back