Mama's cornbread recipe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds amazing espescially with jalapeños. But Im iin a small group of people who think that cilantro is nasty, poisonous, and should never, ever be put in anything except the trash. 🤮
I'm a hot pepper & hot sauce lover too bro, though I'd never thought about putting jalapeños or cheddar cheese in my country cornbread, I have had it made with both in it & it was really good with the southwest meal & plenty of cold beer.

Creamed Corn and jalapeno. I also dont add much salt and use sodium free powder for rising....Turns out perfect and a tiny fraction of the sodium.
HHLjPZ4.jpg

Up4BrXO.jpg

I do a blueberry cornbread too.
gtnjk1o.jpg

That blueberry is a great idea, really there's a whole lot you can do with cornbread, if you think about it not to mention remaking casseroles and other baked dishes out of it I like cornbread pie too.

Still working on the fustercluck but i will post the recipe or link to my reduced sodium cornbread later....You wont miss a thing other than WAY less salt.

I've been cutting the salt back on this recipe till just about a half a tablespoon I don't like over salty flavor either not to mention the health aspect

GM54-120, if you were making my recipe and going to add those blueberries would you change the buttermilk to maybe just one cup instead of two would you substitute maybe some sweet milk condensed or would you stick with the two cups of buttermilk and not change that?

1 cup whole milk or 3/4cup and 1/4 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons melted butter or lard
2 large eggs
14.5 ounces creamed corn (1 can)
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup chopped jalapeno peppers (optional)

Whisk together the milk, melted butter, eggs and creamed corn together in a small bowl.

Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and black pepper in a separate larger bowl.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together.

Stir in the chopped jalapenos

Pour the batter mixture into a lightly oiled baking dish and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the cornbread sets and when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly, slice and serve.

If I doubled your recipe and put it in a much bigger pan do you think that would be okay too?

If I doubled your recipe and put it in a much bigger pan do you think that would be okay too?
Its a whole lot easier to make it thinner than thicker. Thick and deep makes it harder to get done in the middle without burning the edges.

I use sodium free baking powder and no salt added cream corn....Yes they both really exist and work fine.

I'm always cooking at work for a lot of people maybe I'll just cook two different pans.

That round one i made took nearly an hour before a toothpic would pull out clean. The same thing in a 9x12" or 9x9" Pyrex worked great.

Back