Maximum load for CVA rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLKeith

Reaction score
I just received an email from Mark Hendricks the Technical Manager for BPI which indicates that due to input from me and several others; the maximum load for new BPI and CVA rifles (I suspect inlines only) is going to be raised to 150gr. loose powder with the stipulation that they do not feel it is efficient as most of the powder may not burn. This is a result of bad comments about BPI having lower recommended maximum loads which some have been attributing to lower quality barrel steel or other factors which was a false representation. BPI has in the past kept the 100gr. loose powder load recommendation based on old testing that showed more powder would not burn efficiently. With the new longer barrels and more substitute powders available, that is just no longer a factor and I have to give them credit for listening to the customers and making the correction to make them competitive with the other manufacturers.

My old X-150 loved 150gr loose pyrodex RS and a 245 or 295gr powerbelt. It costs $$$$$ to reprint the manuals so i can understand them not changing it.

Good deal... I think that was about the last thing left for people to complain about. Right now CVA is really on top of their game.

Without changing the design or materials they upped the allowable charge by 33%.

Recommended maximum loads do not necessarily mean that it is all the rifle can stand. In the case of the CVA recommendations they felt that more than 100gr. loose was an inefficient load but that is not to say they have not tested well above that level. Now with longer barrels and substitute powders the recommendation is being changed to be inline with other competitive manufacturers. I know you do not care for CVA but I personally feel the Bergara barrels are every bit as quality and safe as anything T/C or Knight makes. I own all of them also and only one CVA Optima Elite. What the deal will be with the barrels other than the Bergara manufacture will have to be seen when posted in manuals.

Swampman said:
Without changing the design or materials they upped the allowable charge by 33%.

CVA / BPI

150 grains of loose powder is wasteful - I maxed at 120 loose FFG Pyrodex in my Staghorn Magnum. It's bbl was only 22" long at best, not enough pipe to process that much powder.

Back