McStevens .45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
Thought I would share my finally completed project over the past year. In MN half our state is shotgun or muzzleloader only and the northern half is rifle zone. I hunt both areas and usually carry my Omega. I have a few stands up north that offer shots to about 325 yards so when I hunt those stands I use either my 270wsm or 300 weatherby. But being a one shot muzzleloader guy at heart it just doesn't feel right or as fun hunting with a centerfire. Don't know why it just doesn't feel right. So I set out to build a custom long range muzzleloader that I can use in all areas and not feel under gunned. I will still use my Omega for the muzzleloader seasons as we are not allowed to use scopes and this new one doesn't have open sights. Here she is...

Started as a Stevens 200 .308

.45 McGowan smokeless muzzleloader barrel
B&C Duramaxx stock
SSS Fluted bolt body
209 bolt head
Rifle basix trigger
Mscott bolt handle
NSS recoil lug
NSS precision barrel nut
Talley lightweight rings
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

Action and all the other parts that are black are cerama coated by me.

Still in the learning phase with all things smokeless but it is showing promise at the range.

IMG_20130710_084527_494_zpsbacdec86.jpg

IMG_20130710_084539_773_zpse69a7355.jpg

Very Nice!

Are you going sabotless?
How long is barrel?
Are you using a collapsible ramrod? If so, how well do they work?

I want to go smokeless with my Apex...someday.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Very Nice!

Are you going sabotless?
How long is barrel?
Are you using a collapsible ramrod? If so, how well do they work?

I want to go smokeless with my Apex...someday.

My plan is to go sabotless. I had my first sabotless range session this morning and lets just say I still have a lot to learn on sizing and knurling. But i'll get there.

The barrel is 25"

And yes I am using a collapsible ram rod. I just got it last week and gotta say the quality is great! It is well built and plenty sturdy.

I have seen a couple 45-70 to .45 apex conversions and they look like they would make a sweet still hunting/brush rig.

Back