Help with my first SML (TC encore conversion)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot them for years in my first ML.I hunt the Midwest so I need both long range accuracy and lethal at short and long range. I never got XTPs to shoot accurate long range. I went smokeless to shoot bore riders. I only shoot Barnes in my centerfire from 270 up to 30-378 Weatherby .Ive shot bonded Shockwave in my muzzleloaders. I don't think I can get the accuracy from them out of my smokeless encore. I'm looking at Pittman hardcore.Hopefully I can find a borerider to perform all the way around like Barnes do.
Richard over on Hanks shoots a lot of SML using the XTP's and they're accurate as heck for him. Never tried them myself. I've had excellent results using Fury bullets from 70 to 100yds. I'd have no issue shooting them to 300yds.
The Fury 400's I believe would work at short range.

I got a return email from Jeff Hankins today, he can do the conversion on any barrel that fits the encore and only has a 3-5 day turn around plus shipping time so I will probably order an SSK barrel soon and then look for a reasonable deal on an encore frame or a used complete rifle, luckily my older brother is an auctioneer and FFL so I have him on the lookout and he has a few of his auctioneer buddies on the lookout for them as well.

I shot them for years in my first ML.I hunt the Midwest so I need both long range accuracy and lethal at short and long range. I never got XTPs to shoot accurate long range. I went smokeless to shoot bore riders. I only shoot Barnes in my centerfire from 270 up to 30-378 Weatherby .Ive shot bonded Shockwave in my muzzleloaders. I don't think I can get the accuracy from them out of my smokeless encore. I'm looking at Pittman hardcore.Hopefully I can find a borerider to perform all the way around like Barnes do.
You probably gonna have a long search. Hopefully not. I wish you luck.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there really are any other choices that perform like a Barnes. Certainly no jacketed lead bullet. Perhaps, as you and I have discussed, another monometal like a cutting edge or Lehigh would be similar.

I think Lehigh is working in the right direction [think Barnes] but those blow off petals have to go. I shot Barnes in all of my 209 guns and have no plans to go back to XTPs. Smokeless, I wish Barnes would get off the pot and turn out the 195 grain .40 stuff. Or even a 225 grain in the Expander or XPB.

I got a return email from Jeff Hankins today, he can do the conversion on any barrel that fits the encore and only has a 3-5 day turn around plus shipping time so I will probably order an SSK barrel soon and then look for a reasonable deal on an encore frame or a used complete rifle, luckily my older brother is an auctioneer and FFL so I have him on the lookout and he has a few of his auctioneer buddies on the lookout for them as well.
There are a couple frames on 24 HR Campfire right now, I have an extra blued one but hate to part with it since so hard to come across for reasonable price.

I ordered from Arrowhead and had him build my 700 smokeless also. Brux barrels and both shoot his bullet with the same 300gr bullet working well with both. Encore is a 3/4" and 700 is a one holder. No sizing, easy loading, shoot great, and the customer service was wonderful. You can pm me any questions.

Jeff Hankins will do excellent work in a short turnaround time.

So how did everything work out?
My 45-70 conversion is inbound from NC, due on Thursday. Maybe I'll have my chores done before Saturday, so I can burn some smokeless checking it out.
Have you located a frame yet?

So how did everything work out?
My 45-70 conversion is inbound from NC, due on Thursday. Maybe I'll have my chores done before Saturday, so I can burn some smokeless checking it out.
Have you located a frame yet?
Who did your conversion? Was it jimbob from the Hank's message board?

I used CGAR, out of Mocksville, NC.
The 45-70 barrel I had was a lighter weight barrel than say a Katadyn barrel, so the smith recommends I use a lighter charge, and bullets less than 300 grains. The bullets he used to test fire the barrel were Pittmans.
I purchased the breechplug through Hanks, and while I was buying I got the .45cal adjustable sizing die.
CGAR is a licensed Type 07 establishment.
Thus far our transaction and interactions have been flawless. I look forward to seeing the results tomorrow.

Oh, I am a 150 yard more or less, usually less, hunter with my other Encores, so I am confident this conversion will fit into my hunting environment easily. Heavily forested lands don't usually present many 300 yard shots, so I don't feel in the least bit handicapped by the barrel I provided.

I used CGAR, out of Mocksville, NC.
The 45-70 barrel I had was a lighter weight barrel than say a Katadyn barrel, so the smith recommends I use a lighter charge, and bullets less than 300 grains. The bullets he used to test fire the barrel were Pittmans.
I purchased the breechplug through Hanks, and while I was buying I got the .45cal adjustable sizing die.
CGAR is a licensed Type 07 establishment.
Thus far our transaction and interactions have been flawless. I look forward to seeing the results tomorrow.
I used another guy in N.C. on Hank's message board.
Oh, I am a 150 yard more or less, usually less, hunter with my other Encores, so I am confident this conversion will fit into my hunting environment easily. Heavily forested lands don't usually present many 300 yard shots, so I don't feel in the least bit handicapped by the barrel I provided.
I'm in the same hunting situation. I have no doubt that with a few tweaks my Scout would be good to 300 or more.

Back