Measuring Loose Powder Questions?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFM

Reaction score
I seem to get a little confused as to what the differences are between grains like the pellets and volume. Can someone explain it as simple as possible. I am considering starting to use loose powder especially if the Blackhorn 209 is not that expensive.

I am looking at buying the T/C U View Powder Measure, what does this measure in volume so what would be that equal to in 100 grains since I am currently using 2 -50 grain pellets of T-7?

Seems I have not done it yet but just want to be sure I am understanding the differences. I like my Disc Elite a lot and more each time I shoot and use it. Just waiting on the Blackhorn 209 to come out and see just what the true costs will be and if it is worth all the hype. Then I will decide on whether I will make the switch to loose powder just planning ahead.

Any information would be welcome.

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
LFM

LFM said:
I seem to get a little confused as to what the differences are between grains like the pellets and volume. Can someone explain it as simple as possible. I am considering starting to use loose powder especially if the Blackhorn 209 is not that expensive.

I am looking at buying the T/C U View Powder Measure, what does this measure in volume so what would be that equal to in 100 grains since I am currently using 2 -50 grain pellets of T-7?

Seems I have not done it yet but just want to be sure I am understanding the differences. I like my Disc Elite a lot and more each time I shoot and use it. Just waiting on the Blackhorn 209 to come out and see just what the true costs will be and if it is worth all the hype. Then I will decide on whether I will make the switch to loose powder just planning ahead.

Any information would be welcome.

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
LFM

When you talk loose powder VS pellets it can get a little confusing.

Pyrodex RS pellets and Triple Se7en 2f pellets are approximately equal in strength. They accomplish this by reducing the weight of the Triple Se7en pellet so the energy they produce is approximately equal.

Loose Triple Se7en 2f is approximately 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS. If you were shooting two Triple Se7en pellets you were not really shooting 100 grains of them by volume. Actually you were shooting about 85-90 grains. So when you load loose Triple Se7en 2f drop the powder charge by volume down to about 85-90 grains of the loose powder. That should equal the two pellets. You might find that when you are working up a loose powder load, you get best accuracy with 90-110 grains of loose powder. Not a problem as most modern inline rifles can handle that.

So remember.. Triple seven loose is 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS or Goex Black Powder 2f. So 85 grains of T-7 = 100 grains of Pyrodex RS or Goex 2f.

Thanks for the info...

So what about the Blackhorn 209 Powder what will that be equal too if anyone knows yet? Will that be even more of a differences from T-7, to Pyrodex RS & Goex and the Pyrodex Pellets. Will it be more like the T-7 charge / amount wise?

I know it is still not out there but maybe someone knows something about it. I am waiting as many are wondering the true price and if it is all many say it is. Got my fingers crossed it will be more in line price wise than some are saying it is?

Thanks guys for that information...

LFM

I am sure if and when it breaks onto the muzzleloading scene, they will offer some ballistic comparisons for it to other powders. Until then, I know so little about it other then the one artical I read, I would hate to even guess about the powder.

Latest posts

Back