Midway USA covering up CVA 45 cal junk.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldranger

Reaction score
On Midway, if you click on the CVA MR-X 45, you will see very positive reviews. it's rated 4.6 out of 5 stars. The problem is, if you read the reviews, they are ALL for the 50 cal. So, I wrote a review, had to give one star which is not deserved, and said Midway, fix your reviews which are all for the 50 cal not the junk 45.
So I get a reply, basically saying sorry about your problem, talk to cva.
NOTHING about their misleading reviews. So now my hair is on fire.
My latest email to Midway.

Jason, the only thing I expect from Midway is to FIX your reviews of this item. You are showing positive reviews for the WRONG item. Your reviews are for the 50 cal. The problem gun is the 45 cal. Well known that the 50 is a shooter, and that the 45 is a dog. Your review problem is misleading customers. 4 5 positive. Read up on the internet. EVERYONE WITH A 45 CAL IS SENDING THEM BACK TO CVA. No one would purchase one if the reviews were accurate.
Oh wait. I understand now.

i saw that when i was considering a 45 and it is $135 less than the 50 with nitride and cerakote . THANKFULLY ....... i'm a member of this forum and knew to avoid it . amazon , wally world , midway , bass pro and a few other companies have rejected my negative reviews/comments on items purchased from them so i pretty much pay zero attention to sellers/dealers reviews . i'v learned to rely on comments from forums with regular folks when trying to make a buying decision on stuff i'm not very familiar with , but it takes time to get a feel for who seems to be truly knowledgable and who are fan boys . i fully admit i have my own fanboy moments though (and nobody here should think i KNOW what i'm talking abot) .......... youtube can be good for learing about features and seeing something in use . but IMO %90 won,t be truly critical because they know they wont get other products free or heavily discounted if they cross a line with their "totally unbaised reviews" .

Last edited:
I have a good hunting/dog running buddy that his daughter works for a real estate property management co. One of her jobs is to scrub the reviews. She can change those reviews to whatever she wants to change them to! When he told me that I look at all reviews as worthless pretty much!

i saw that when i was considering a 45 and it is $135 less than the 50 with nitride and cerakote . THANKFULLY ....... i'm a member of this forum and knew to avoid it . amazon , wally world , midway , bass pro and a few other companies have rejected my negative reviews/comments on items purchased from them so i pretty much pay zero attention to sellers/dealers reviews . i'v learned to rely on comments from forums with regular folks when trying to make a buying decision on stuff i'm not very familiar with , but it takes time to get a feel for who seems to be truly knowledgable and who are fan boys . i fully admit i have my own fanboy moments though (and nobody here should think i KNOW what i'm talking abot) .......... youtube can be good for learing about features and seeing something in use . but IMO %90 won,t be truly critical because they know they wont get other products free or heavily discounted if they cross a line with their "totally unbaised reviews" .
Probably less $$ because they are not moving them.

I also wouldn't doubt thats half the reason they aren't showing bad reviews, hard to leave a bad review if they aren't selling.

Plenty of bad reviews for other products on Midway for me to believe they aren't showing bad on the .45

Last edited:
That's not the gun I purchased.
Mine has 7 reviews, 5 mention 50 cal.
I get it just trying to show all of the options.

Here is one, only 6 reviews and 1 mention of the .45, they didn't cut the negative review.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023221954?pid=985799#reviews
Regardless they aren't selling near as many .45 as .50.

Hard to leave reviews for the .45 if they aren't selling nearly as many of them. Also shows that the X series aren't selling very good with only 12 total combined reviews.

Last edited:
folks it's not just the 45s with messed up barrels . i was excited to get my MRX 50 at first but the barrel is horrible . so over bored it wont even hold a cleaning patch and there are pits and bumps up and down the rifling in the barrel . post 16 is where i noticed problems and a pic .

click twiced to make the pic much bigger to see more detail

1672589753771.png

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/mrx-50-arrived.55529/#post-524569

Last edited:
The proof is in the pddin Jeff. Get some JB bore paste and treat the bore then take it out and shoot it. There are a million different patch thicknesses and its very likely you found a thin one in your batch and there could be others. There are an awful lot of guys on here who have had guns with bore that looked like the wreck of the Hesperus and they found they shot lights out after some care. Why go off on a company based on a visual assumption and a patch? Better yet why even buy the gun if you went into the transaction with a head full of doubts?

well .... IMO i haven't "gone off" yet . and i IMO i don't think anyone should have to fix a barrel on a brand new gun that is supposed to have one of their best premium barrels . i had concerns about the fit of the forearm and knew the scope rail was gonna need replacing but i thought the barrel would be ok , and i don't feel i had a head full of doubts . this is advertised to have a nitrided barrel and it came with the tag on the barrel confirming it , but if it's so hard it's impervious to rust so i'm not sure i could polish those marks out even IF i was willing to fix a brand new gun with a defective barrel out of the box . i tried 4 patches in it and used the same range rod and patches from the same CVA container in the old optima and there was no issue at all and i haven't had any issues using that same container to swab the old optima a few dozen times at least .

i appreciate your comments tom . maybe some of you folks here could turn it into a awesome shooter . but there is a huge quality control issue with these "premium bergara barrels" IMO .

I myself don’t own a single Cva rifle as I just don’t care for the quality of them and the fact that they try to force feed one one of the worst brands for muzzleloading projectiles to this day..but I will say..those marks in the bore don’t seem to look like pitting..could it be dried up packing grease? Not trying to defend them as I jjst can’t see a company letting that happen…but something to think about..hopefully you can get it evaluated…as far as barrel diameter goes I’d say slug the bore and let us know exactly what it is. I’d be curious to know myself

i appreciate your comments tom . maybe some of you folks here could turn it into a awesome shooter . but there is a huge quality control issue with these "premium bergara barrels" IMO .
With all of the negative press on the CVA guns and Bergara barrels over the last two years I wouldn't have spent a penny on any of the guns until I was seeing some positive commentary on them. I have a bunch of CVA guns and the barrels are pristine, but all of these guns are shooters and every bit as accurate as any White or Knight and they were all bought or made at least five years ago or many more. I just don't understand why anyone would buy something that has such a shaky background to it. I sure as heck wouldn't jump on a gun that has such a negative rep attached to it.

I feel for you not being happy with what you bought. I just can't see why you'd make the purchase in the first place when nothing good has been said about the LR and MR guns.

One thing I do agree with you on Jeff is I don't think anyone should have to spend another aftermarket C-note to be able to shoot bare primers cleanly like so many Knight owners have to do. That just goes to show that unless one gets into at least a semi-custom gun, the base price is probably not going to be the end of the money trail to make the owner exceptionally happy.

""" I feel for you not being happy with what you bought. I just can't see why you'd make the purchase in the first place when nothing good has been said about the LR and MR guns."""
I'll speak for myself. I don't spend much time on forums. I never saw these reports. I went on the past reputation of CVA. On Midway, they get 4.6 stars. Regrettably, they are for 50 cal. My gun came with a loose scope base, a catch in the trigger that is so bad that cancels the adjustability, and ""shoots"" 6 moa.
I am currently trying to find a bullet that will shoot 2 moa. My current track will be to resize .458 unless CVA replaces it with something else which I don't expect. I offered to buy a Paramount with this MR -X traded in. Not an option with CVA .

With all of the negative press on the CVA guns and Bergara barrels over the last two years I wouldn't have spent a penny on any of the guns until I was seeing some positive commentary on them. I have a bunch of CVA guns and the barrels are pristine, but all of these guns are shooters and every bit as accurate as any White or Knight and they were all bought or made at least five years ago or many more. I just don't understand why anyone would buy something that has such a shaky background to it. I sure as heck wouldn't jump on a gun that has such a negative rep attached to it.

I feel for you not being happy with what you bought. I just can't see why you'd make the purchase in the first place when nothing good has been said about the LR and MR guns.

One thing I do agree with you on Jeff is I don't think anyone should have to spend another aftermarket C-note to be able to shoot bare primers cleanly like so many Knight owners have to do. That just goes to show that unless one gets into at least a semi-custom gun, the base price is probably not going to be the end of the money trail to make the owner exceptionally happy.
Is your comment about LR and MR guns referring to the previous models or the LR-X and MR-X?

I bought an Accura MR 3 years ago based on research, a lot of it here. I have a Knight Wolverine I bought new in the 90’s and wanted something new and keep the Knight as a backup.

I set up the MR with BH209, CVA BH209 BP, Fed 209A primers and Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullets with the blue sabots that come with them. I installed an EGW rail, Warne mounts and Nikon scope. The gun groups good at 100 yards and am happy with it. The bore looks good and nothing like Jeff’s MR-X.

Maybe I’m missing something, my CVA doesn’t appear to be a POS yet. 😀

Latest posts

Back