MK 85 replacement nipple.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone is using on their Mk's and Lk's. I saw a flame thrower nipple for #11 caps but at almost $15 are they worth the money? I'm shooting Goex BP in mine.

Harleysboss said:
Just curious what everyone is using on their Mk's and Lk's. I saw a flame thrower nipple for #11 caps but at almost $15 are they worth the money? I'm shooting Goex BP in mine.

For the MK/Lk the best choice available choice might be from from Track of the Wolf. TOW use to carry a AMPCO nipple that was perfect but AMPCO changed their dimensions so TOW contracted for a new SS steel nipple that was constructed as the AMPCO.

This picture shows the previous AMPCO nipple but I the text box it shows it shows the new order number for the Stainless Steel nipple.

TOW_11_Nipple.jpg

When you use a capper to install the cap in the post, and install it tightly, the nipple becomes nearly impervious to water and the only way you are going to get the nipple off is to shoot it off or use a knife blade to peel it off.

Here is the link. Read the information at the top of the page then scroll down the RST-S nipple

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/159/3

I personally like the Knight Red Hot. I use them in my MK and LK plus my Custom .32. They are more money though.

For myself... the Knight Red Hots are to loose for me the cap can fall right off with just a slight touch. The TC red hots are some what tighter and what I have to use when shooting caps in the DISC.

The other cap (RST-S) I suggested and should only be used with a flat faced hammer with a strong plunger spring. When the cap is placed properly on this nipple it will actually stretch the convolutions in the cap and will in most cases make the cap and the breech impervious to water. But the down side is the only way you will get the cap off is to shoot it off or peel it of with a knife blade.

I have never had a problem with caps falling of my Knight Red Hots. I only use CCI Mag caps though. If I want to take one off I usually have to use a knife to get it off.

Sabotloader,

Do those new SS AMPCO nipples have a larger Flash hole than the previous Brass one? I tried those last Brass ones from TOW in my MK-85 and had ignition problems till I drilled them out. Red Hots never failed for me. Guess we all wind up with our own preferences.

ShawnT said:
I have never had a problem with caps falling of my Knight Red Hots. I only use CCI Mag caps though. If I want to take one off I usually have to use a knife to get it off.

Sabotloader,

Do those new SS AMPCO nipples have a larger Flash hole than the previous Brass one? I tried those last Brass ones from TOW in my MK-85 and had ignition problems till I drilled them out. Red Hots never failed for me. Guess we all wind up with our own preferences.

The new Stainless - yes they do! no need to drill them out as with the previous AMPCO's

sabotloader said:
ShawnT said:

Sabotloader,

The new Stainless - yes they do! no need to drill them out as with the previous AMPCO's
Good to know. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back