MK-85 year model identification

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinohyde

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get a Knight 209 conversion for my .54 MK-85 just for the sake of having one, but I don't know what year my .54 was made. It has the set-screw on the plunger, the narrow #11 striker face, and has a blued lothar barrel, I suspect, as it is definitely neither GM or Wiseman (based on the crown).

I can't find any serial number charts to go by either.

Is it safe to assume it is pre-1994? If not, how can I find out?

If my information is correct Knight had 2 plug sizes 5/8th and 11/16th.
5/8 = .6250 and 11/16 = .6875
If you measure the breech plug you should have an answer.

If my information is correct Knight had 2 plug sizes 5/8th and 11/16th.
5/8 = .6250 and 11/16 = .6875
If you measure the breech plug you should have an answer.

That would be the best way for sure, and you are correct. However, I plan on buying the breech plug removal tool at the same time since I currently don't have one, lol!

Does your current BP have a hex head nut? or is it the slotted type. Probably slotted - you could use a large flat blade screw driver to get it out. Since it is a 54 I would believe to to be a 11/16" plug. They also make a socket with a large flat blade extension.

I own two pretty early .54 mk-85's with the 20" carbine barrels. They are excellent rifles both in how they handle and they are accurate. They both use .625" breech plugs same as my .50 mk-85's. I have the 209 kit for one of them but haven't used it.
FYI a lot of the early mk-85's do not have Timmey stamped on the trigger but the triggers are great nonetheless.
I would be very surprised if your rifle is not pre 1994

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back