New MK-85 ?'s

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
Picked up another MK-85 today. This one has several different features from my others. Please help me figure out what I have. It is walnut and blued. Unfortunately, it had been converted to 209 priners and the original system lost. I had enough parts to get it back to #11 ignition. It has some honest wear. Thin bluing here and there and some minor wear on the stock. Also has what looks like 20 years of bore butter in the bore. Absolutely rust free. Looks used, but cared for.

Now the differences. It has a sharp funnel like crown with 6 lands. I don't think I've seen a Green Mountain barrel with a similar crown. Any idea what it is and a twist rate?

The ramrod is grey and appears to be fiberglass. One end is plain. The guide for the ramrod is not screwed into place it appears to be pinned or welded.

I have attached some pictures. Thanks for any help.

20201102_180804.jpg20201102_180717.jpg20201102_173620.jpg

That is am early MK and it is not a Green Mountain. He did not use Green Mountain until late in the MK85 run.

My memory is shot! I can pull the barrel maker out of my mind. It will come or somebody else will provided the answer.

I sent an E-mail to Knight asking about the twist rates on the MK-85's here is the response from Gordy.

Clifford,

To my knowledge there were actually 4 different barrel makers for the MK models back in the day. One being the Numrich I believe with custom 1:48, McMillan with 1:32, Wiseman with 1:28 ( I think) and Lother/Walther with 1:28. The latest being Green Mountain. Of course the GM barrels were all 1-28 if my memory serves me correctly. Sorry I can’t be of any more help.
This might help, or not

Ive got the exact same gun except my barrel is crap on mine same exact crown. Im thinking they are Wiseman barrels as that was what I was told about another one I had a long time ago.. But it was a long time ago so may be wrong as my memory isnt the greatest anymore either.

Should be a great rifle. I am fond of the Wiseman barrels. I'm glad you are going to use the percussion caps. I have a handful of mom's with those ramrod like that but I always use a different ramrod. Do you mind sharing the serial # of that rifle.(aproximate)
Good Luck

The serial number is in the 5600 range.

I measured it today and it would appear to be 1-28 twist. There is a black fouling in the barrel, smells like Bore Butter. Been scrubbing the bore, but patches still come out with it. Any suggestions?

Need to shoot it, probably have to wait until after rifle season. I would like to replace the cheap Tasco scope. Any period correct suggestions?

Boretech products are good and won't harm your barrel. I believe they have a carbon specific solvent. Also I have seen the concoction of equal parts hydrogen peroxide, Murphy's oil soap and alcohol soak and scrub produce excelent cleaning results.

I bet one of those steamers would work great its on my wish list. I think boiling hot water with some scrubbing would get that gunk out of there too. I have also used a CVA product called barrel blaster with success on some used rifles I've purchased.
Good Luck, Good to see you give a classic MK some TLC.

I'll have to get a steamer. I think I have some foaming bore cleaner, I'll try it.

Do you need a special adapter or just blow the steam the breech end?

They come with different nozzles, I just take gun from stock remove trigger and hold over sink and steam it from the bore end.. usually takes maybe 10 minutes on a really bad barrel. Just make sure to dry out immediately run a alcohol patch thru it then oil.

Latest posts

Back