MMP Blue 50/40 Sabots in an Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabowhntr

Reaction score
I noticed my bag of 50/40 blue mmp sabots said you should shoot a min of 100 gr BP. I have been trying 80-85 gr of t7 2f with my omega and either 200gr SW or 240 gr PR bullets. I am trying to work up a relatively flat shooting low recoil load, but I have been getting a flier every 4-5 shots. Two or three shots will go into half and inch at 50 and then one will shot about 1" high. Could it be that I am not shooting enough powder to get good sabot separation from the bullet with the thicker petals? I have not been able to find the sabots on the range, so I guess they are going into the woods behind the target (about 50 yards) while the short black MMP sabots (50/45) are always within 20 feet of the bench with the petals straight out to the sides.

What loads with the 50/40 sabots have worked well for others in Omega's?

My Omega loves those sabots with the 200 grn Shock Wave. The only other bullet I have tried is the .40 cal 200 grn Hornady XTP and they did not shoot so well (2 or 3" at 50 yds).

I have never tried light loads with the SW--always used at least 100 grains of Pyrodex or 777. A couple weeks ago I tried two of the 777 Magnum pellets and got three shots under an inch at 100. The 200 SW also shoots well with 3 777 regular pellets. Try hotter loads; the recoil is not bad 'cause of the lighter bullet. I never have tried them on deer yet, but I might in the '08 season.

Try 100 grns of loose 777 and go up 5 grains at a time to around 120 and see what you think.

And how are the 240 PR bullets shooting? I should try them.

I don't think your sabots are going past the 50 yard target. Mine don't, though they do fly further than the other Harvester or MMP sabots I shoot.

vabowhntr

I shoot the 10mm 200 grain XTP from my Omega very well, in fact I hunt ground sqirrels with it. They are very accurate. I shoot 110 grains of T7-2f with a 25 ACP.

For me it is an excellent shooting bullet....

A freind on another board has used them very effectivley foor whitetail and pigs... They do hold together a lot better than I thought they might.

Yesterday we were shooting Blue MMP and 200 grain XTP with 70 gr. of 777 ffg just for giggles, and MAN it was Lights OUT @ 70 yards using an Elite.

Went back down to the range (far end of the yard :) ) and looked again. Found a couple of the sabots at the backstop. 48 and 51 yards from the bench by the rangefinder. I didn't look farther in the woods. Other than the marks from the lands and a little powder burn, they looked like I just took them out of the bag. The accuracy was not bad with the 240 PR bullets, about 1/2" at about 50 yards for 3 shots, but I would get several in one ragged hole and then a flier about 3/4" to 1" high. After looking at the sabots I don't think I am getting consistant separation with the .40 cal bullets like I am with the .45 cal bullets at this powder charge. I think I am going to try some of the 250 SW and 275 gr parkers with 85-90 gr of powder and see how they do. Out to 150 yards it should be +/- 2.5" which will work for hunting.

If I really want to shoot the .40 cal bullets, I was getting good results with the 200 gr SW with 100 gr of t7 2f.

I noticed my bag of 50/40 blue mmp sabots said you should shoot a min of 100 gr BP. I have been trying 80-85 gr of t7 2f with my omega and either 200gr SW or 240 gr PR bullets.

I have not found that to be so. I've have used 200gr SSTs/XTPs in blue MMPs with powder charges from 60gr fffg Triple Se7en and up. Accuracy was great. This out of a Knight Wolverine 209...

vabowhntr said:
I noticed my bag of 50/40 blue mmp sabots said you should shoot a min of 100 gr BP. I have been trying 80-85 gr of t7 2f with my omega and either 200gr SW or 240 gr PR bullets. I am trying to work up a relatively flat shooting low recoil load, but I have been getting a flier every 4-5 shots. Two or three shots will go into half and inch at 50 and then one will shot about 1" high. Could it be that I am not shooting enough powder to get good sabot separation from the bullet with the thicker petals? I have not been able to find the sabots on the range, so I guess they are going into the woods behind the target (about 50 yards) while the short black MMP sabots (50/45) are always within 20 feet of the bench with the petals straight out to the sides.

What loads with the 50/40 sabots have worked well for others in Omega's?

I have had your same issue myself and have seen this many times. Running an extra mount wet "patch" down the barrel in -between the 2 nd and 3rd shot helps remove additional "fouling" build-up.

Try this the next time you are out.

Choc-dog

I will give the extra wet patch a try, although I was using 50/50 mix of washer fluid and 91% isopropyl and the patches were rather wet (maybe too much?), followed by dry patches until they came out almost clean. Since I found the sabots so far down range and they didn't have extended petals, I am still concerned they are not separating as consistently.

I also was very pleased that I was not getting the bad crude ring. This was my first run with the t7 2f in this Omega and it was hardly there. I had worse fouling around the breech with pyro P in this one. This was with regular Win 209 primers.

I was happy with the 250 SW and Parker Jacketed Hydracon in regular black MMP sabots. These seemed to be more consistent (about 1/2"-3/4" groups without fliers at 50- a little better with the SW/SST than the Parker) with the 85-90 gr powder charge than the 200 gr. I guess I am splitting hairs here, when it comes to hunting accuracy I will be good to 150 with either but it gives me something to think about in the off season, and I still have to try the Parker 275 gr BE.

Latest posts

Back