More Knight Peregrine Problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is because of what you are doing
this isn't a cva product I see no need for any tape of any kind
never a leak in mine no tape either
the washer is supposed to fuse so it doesn't need to come out
Copper doesn't generally fuse to stainless steel without adding an additional material. This means that the Copper washer is merely mechanically locked in place which makes it vulnerable to moisture entrapment and corrosion between the washer and the barrel if it cannot be removed and cleaned. There are some things that don't add up here.

If nothing else, order a new copper seal and start at step one and do things in order again.
Yeah, I will have to wait and see what Knight says. The problem is that I can't start at step 1 because I can't get the old washer out of the receiver. I think it would have to be machined out at this point. Also, if I had all kinds of leaking between the washer and the BP, it stands to reason that there is also leaking between the washer and the barrel, and I have no way to clean it.

I can't understand your problems at all
I have no idea where you came up with the idea that teflon tape was the answer but they use that for plumbing not firearms
seems to me you are causing your own headaches
put your cooper washer in and put some grease on the threads and go to the range and shoot

I can't understand your problems at all
I have no idea where you came up with the idea that teflon tape was the answer but they use that for plumbing not firearms
seems to me you are causing your own headaches
put your cooper washer in and put some grease on the threads and go to the range and shoot
I guarantee there are more people on here using teflon tape to help seal breech plugs than there are people using a copper crush washer. I have no problem with the crush washer if that is their design intent. What I have a problem with is that Knight tells you absolutely nothing about it (removable vs non removable, tightened extremely hard vs just snug, etc.). This is lazy as hell on their part! Crush washers I have used on my machines are meant to be replaced each time so that a new seal is created every time. There is no way in this world that a little white teflon tape to hold the washer centered during installation of the BP has created enough gap to produce the kind of leaking that I am seeing. I have used teflon tape in other Knights in the past with no issues whatsoever just like countless others on this forum. I'm glad your experience with your rifle has been better than mine. Hopefully the corrosion buildup trapped behind that washer doesn't cause a catastrophic failure at some point.

who ever told you to hold it in with teflon tape has no understanding of the purpose of the washer which is to help reduce flame cutting of the barrel
being there is no where for the hot gases to go but out the end of the barrel the washer is a buffer
your machines are not firearms
plumbers tape is for sloppy machine work and I have not seen that come from Knight

who ever told you to hold it in with teflon tape has no understanding of the purpose of the washer which is to help reduce flame cutting of the barrel
being there is no where for the hot gases to go but out the end of the barrel the washer is a buffer
your machines are not firearms
Eventually that washer will no longer seal off your breech due to repeated re-use. What is your plan for replacement since it is "fused in place"? Crush washers aren't meant to be used repeatedly in that way. Eventually, it will leak on you too. Enjoy.

Best solution. Quit trying to make a muzzleloader perform like a centerfire. If smokeless powder , no blow by , completely sealed breechplug , easy cleanup etc etc is the defining factor then just shoot a cartridge gun and forget about muzzleloaders .
The whole new smokeless muzzleloader thing is the worst trend to hit the blackpowder industry . 😀 i realize opinions aren't liked but there you go anyway .

Lots of good innovations came from smokeless muzzleloader builders. If the manufacturers such as Knight and CVA would open their eyes and read what works, we would be better off. Why make a front sealing breech plug when rear sealing works so much better. Why use steel modules when brass works so much better.

I'm not sure if Bestill still works on Knights but I would contact him to see if he can set you up with one of his breech plugs, it would be a much better system.

Last edited:
I thought I would give an update on this. I have a customer who works up loads for people. He has been working on a Peregrine recently, but he hadn't cleaned it yet. When I asked him about any leaking issues, he went to pull the breech plug to check. He installed his using only grease like White Eagle did. However, it was all he could do to remove it, but he did get it out, and of course, it was fouled just as bad as mine was.

I did ask Steve Brian about all this, and the washer is meant to stay locked into the receiver. When I asked how one would remove it if they wanted to, he said to make a hook with a piece of wire and pull it out. However, this doesn't work because the washer diameter expands to the point that it is below flush with the barrel, so there is nothing to catch the hook on. It makes me wonder if Knight has even tried to remove one after a few dozen shots.

Anyway, I didn't try to remove the washer anymore. Instead I re-installed the breech plug but this time I really cranked on it when installing (not what the owners manual says to do). I tightened it as tight as I could with a short ratchet so as to not overdo it. I shot 16 more shots. The leaking was still there. But significantly reduced. I am still concerned about flame cutting and/or head space issues over time, especially with no good way to replace the washer.

I guess time will tell.

Back