More Knight Peregrine Problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I shot my new Peregrine for the first time today (12 shots total, 4 ELR to get roughly sighted in and then 8 sized Fury's with BH209 and Fed 209A - hottest load was 90 gr by weight). The sized bullets fall down the barrel for the first 12 or so inches before meeting some resistance. This is odd, I know, but apparently normal for the Peregrine.

I have two main concerns so far. My first concern is about the breech plug leakage I am seeing. There is definitely leakage happening on the sealing face and around to the outside and down into the threads. I used white teflon tape wrapped around the BP twice, folded over the face, added the copper washer, and then wrapped around the washer twice, and then folded over the face of the washer. But still got significant leaking. What am I doing wrong here? I don't remember this issue with my Knight Disc. Try a thicker tape?

Secondly, the copper washer has welded itself to the barrel. I cannot get it to release. The breech plug came out just fine, but the copper washer is stuck as stuck gets. Any ideas?

So far this gun has been quite the headache.
How did it shoot, accuracy wise? I’m skeptical of the claimed 3000 fps but 2750 would still have me interested.

How did it shoot, accuracy wise? I’m skeptical of the claimed 3000 fps but 2750 would still have me interested.
Well, I sent it into Knight for the barrel issue, so hopefully it comes back ready to shoot. Others have had better luck with their Peregrines than I have, so I may not be the right one to ask. Right now, I'm just hoping to get it back in time to work up a load before my hunt starts in 3 weeks.

Before I sent it in, I put about 27-28 rounds through it. Best group was about 1.5 MOA at 100 yards. I tried several different powder charges, but I was never able to improve my results beyond that, and I figured I was probably chasing my tail anyway.

I didn't chrono anything yet because my chrono is a beyonet-style, so it messes with my POI. My main focus was on accuracy.

I sent a follow up email to Steve Bryan last week. He replied on Friday, and said they had started looking at it, and that it should be ready either yesterday or today, but I haven't heard anything else from him.
I'm very curious to find out what Knight has to say and I had the same problem. I just got my Peregrine, sized bullets and they literally fall about 18" then they are so tight you can't push bullet any further. I will be calling Knight tomorrow.

I'm very curious to find out what Knight has to say and I had the same problem. I just got my Peregrine, sized bullets and they literally fall about 18" then they are so tight you can't push bullet any further. I will be calling Knight tomorrow.
They ended up replacing my barrel. When I received the rifle back with the new barrel installed, it had a considerable amount of lapping compound left behind, so they obviously had to put in some effort to make the required loading force more uniform. It is definitely better now than before, not perfect, but way better. The accuracy is significantly improved as a result. The breech plug also seals quite well on this barrel. There is a section about 8" down the barrel from the muzzle where there appears to be some pitting of some kind, but it doesn't seem to be affecting accuracy. They also sent me some free Fury's, which makes up for what I burned through before, so that was nice.

To others who are looking into buying a Peregrine, I would advise that you chat with someone at Knight, and make clear your expectations about barrel uniformity up front. While I am grateful that they took care of me in the end, this experience has been quite a headache and cost me a lot of precious time. It's pretty clear that Green Mountain has some barrel quality control issues to address, and I'm sure they will over time.

Overall, I still like the rifle.

They ended up replacing my barrel. When I received the rifle back with the new barrel installed, it had a considerable amount of lapping compound left behind, so they obviously had to put in some effort to make the required loading force more uniform. It is definitely better now than before, not perfect, but way better. The accuracy is significantly improved as a result. The breech plug also seals quite well on this barrel. There is a section about 8" down the barrel from the muzzle where there appears to be some pitting of some kind, but it doesn't seem to be affecting accuracy. They also sent me some free Fury's, which makes up for what I burned through before, so that was nice.

To others who are looking into buying a Peregrine, I would advise that you chat with someone at Knight, and make clear your expectations about barrel uniformity up front. While I am grateful that they took care of me in the end, this experience has been quite a headache and cost me a lot of precious time. It's pretty clear that Green Mountain has some barrel quality control issues to address, and I'm sure they will over time.

Overall, I still like the rifle.
How long was the turn around with Knight? Did you use email or have to call? I'm going to follow up tomorrow but wonder if there is any chance in getting this done for a hunt I have coming and it doesn't sound like it.

How loose was your bore? I kept sizing the bullets smaller and they would progressively go further down but I got down to .3995" to finally get them within 8" of the chamber but they are loose enough at the crown end that I can push them in with a finger and then tap the butt of the gun on the floor and the bullet drops down to where it gets stuck. I never did size them smalll enough to be able to push down to the chamber. I don't even think the Lee hand press will go much smaller. Makes no sense to me that this would be an accurate arrangement. How could the bullet engage any threads?

On one hand I'm glad you got a new barrel, which is the barrel and action since it's once piece right? Essentially a new gun. On the other hand this seems like a weak fix to lap the barrel.

How long was the turn around with Knight? Did you use email or have to call? I'm going to follow up tomorrow but wonder if there is any chance in getting this done for a hunt I have coming and it doesn't sound like it.

How loose was your bore? I kept sizing the bullets smaller and they would progressively go further down but I got down to .3995" to finally get them within 8" of the chamber but they are loose enough at the crown end that I can push them in with a finger and then tap the butt of the gun on the floor and the bullet drops down to where it gets stuck. I never did size them smalll enough to be able to push down to the chamber. I don't even think the Lee hand press will go much smaller. Makes no sense to me that this would be an accurate arrangement. How could the bullet engage any threads?

On one hand I'm glad you got a new barrel, which is the barrel and action since it's once piece right? Essentially a new gun. On the other hand this seems like a weak fix to lap the barrel.
From the time I sent it off until return, it was 2.5 to 3 weeks.

You will have to contact them through their website. If you call, it will simply go to voice-mail saying to use their website.

Before I sent it in, my bullets were sized between .4008 - .4012. Now my bore is still a bit on the large size all the way down. .4015 - .4018 range if I recall.

Yes, the barrel and receiver are one piece, but bolt, trigger, stock and breech plug would not need to be replaced.

I don't disagree about the lapping issue, and I was a little annoyed that they didn't even bother to remove the compound. In my personal opinion I think Knight is probably panicking a little about these barrels. Hopefully they get it figured out soon.

Cedarmtnqlguy,
Are you sure they replaced your barrel or just lapped it?
My Peregrine is loose 1/2 way down then gets snug. Is that why you sent it back?
Verde

Cedarmtnqlguy,
My Peregrine is loose 1/2 way down then gets snug. Is that why you sent it back?
Verde
The bore is not uniform all the way down, send it back and demand your money back I wouldn't own a gun like that. I feel bad for ya good luck with that gun

The bore is not uniform all the way down, send it back and demand your money back I wouldn't own a gun like that. I feel bad for ya good luck with that gun
I’m betting the vast majority of off-the-shelf muzzys have inconsistent bores but you’d never know it until you try to load a sized jacketed bullet. With sabots and lead conicals it’s not a concern.

I’m betting the vast majority of off-the-shelf muzzys have inconsistent bores but you’d never know it until you try to load a sized jacketed bullet. With sabots and lead conicals it’s not a concern.
Are any of you shooting copper jacketed bullets? That was my plan. This is in fact what this rifle should do.

Verde, how does your shoot if it's loose for the last 12"?

Sorry to come on this forum with post one being to *****. It looks like a troll I know but it is fact.

Cedarmtnqlguy,
Verde
I believe they replaced it, but only 90% sure. The doubt comes in because I sent it back a first time because the stock was off center, but I didn't pay attention to the serial number when they sent it back that time.

Yes, I sent it back a second time for the barrel being loose at the muzzle and tight at the breech.

I know the barrel I have now is a different barrel than what they sent me the first time.

Yes, I would agree with this statement. The difference here is that they market the Peregrine as a bullet to bore system. They even include the press and die. Yet their barrel tolerances don't really support such a system.

Are any of you shooting copper jacketed bullets? That was my plan. This is in fact what this rifle should do.

Verde, how does your shoot if it's loose for the last 12"?

Sorry to come on this forum with post one being to *****. It looks like a troll I know but it is fact.
Yes, I'm shooting the 250gr black-tipped Furys.

I don't blame you for your frustrations.

Back