Most accurate bullet/sabot combo?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShawnT said:
This review just came out and accuracy was not very exciting.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/remingt ... zleloader/

Did you notice this review in the same article.

Ed Clapper October 6, 2014, 7:08 am

I am a contributing editor for Shotgun Sports Magazine and have one of the laminated stock 700UMLs for testing. While my accuracy jury is also still out, I’m getting much tighter groups with heavier bullets. Having tried numerous Barnes, Traditions , T/C and Hornady bullets, Powerbelts have been by far the most accurate for me in 245, 250 and 295-grain weights. I’m on Federal’s waiting list for their new 270-grain Trophy bullet.

As far as optics, I started with a Leupold VX3 UltimateSlam in 3-9x mounted in Leupold dual-dovetail bases and rings but changed to a VX2 A.O. in 4-12x to allow my 67 year-old eyes a better chance at 100+ yards. So far, I’m getting 1-1/2″ groups at 100 yards with 295-grain Powerbelts over 90 grains (by volume) of loose Triple Se7en FFFg or FFg powder. Fifty-yard groups are pretty much of the one-hole variety. Muzzle velocity is slightly over 1,700fps and given that 100 yards is a long shot in south-central Pennsylvania, I see no need to abuse my arthritic shoulder with hotter loads.

I can tell you that gun shoots so cleanly that group size and POI won’t change with a dirty bore. I’ve shot as many as five consecutive shots without cleaning and the on-paper results were no different than with cleaning after every shot.

You’ve only scratched the surface with your test gun. Try other bullets and loose powder – weigh some of those pellets and you’ll see a three to four-grain difference between them. What would a 10 to 12-grain difference in smokeless powder charges do for accuracy?

Keep us posted!

I cant say that is very impressive compared to similar priced competition. A Knight UL will do that at less cost and weight. No form 4473 to fill out and the ignition system can be changed to comply with any state regs. I cant imagine buying a ML designed for long range and shooting PowerBelts either.

Its about time someone other than RW gave a range report. I have seen others, where the owners have shot MUCH better groups at 100yds, than was posted in the article. These rifles should be in many shooter's hands by now and the reports should be coming in more frequent. I knew before the rifle hit the market, that Remington was coming out with it. STILL............ I'm so glad I purchased my "real" Ultimate Firearms Inc." rifle. :yeah:

Powerbelts? Good grief!

I still want to see what happens with lengthy BH209 use and the official load data from Remington

GM54-120 said:
I still want to see what happens with lengthy BH209 use and the official load data from Remington

I would imagine only..... that if a shooter only used his brass one (1) time and discarded it, he may be ok. Each time that bolt is closed on a case, it collapses the case on the breech plug nipple. That it where the gas cutting came into play. I bought 1,000 pieces of brass and may order anther. No more than 2 rounds through my brass and the "real" UF rifle.

If you're only shooting 100yards in PA, you have a lot of extra $ that you put into a ML.

GM54-120 said:
ShawnT said:
This review just came out and accuracy was not very exciting.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/remingt ... zleloader/

Did you notice this review in the same article.

Ed Clapper October 6, 2014, 7:08 am

I am a contributing editor for Shotgun Sports Magazine and have one of the laminated stock 700UMLs for testing. While my accuracy jury is also still out, I’m getting much tighter groups with heavier bullets. Having tried numerous Barnes, Traditions , T/C and Hornady bullets, Powerbelts have been by far the most accurate for me in 245, 250 and 295-grain weights. I’m on Federal’s waiting list for their new 270-grain Trophy bullet.

As far as optics, I started with a Leupold VX3 UltimateSlam in 3-9x mounted in Leupold dual-dovetail bases and rings but changed to a VX2 A.O. in 4-12x to allow my 67 year-old eyes a better chance at 100+ yards. So far, I’m getting 1-1/2″ groups at 100 yards with 295-grain Powerbelts over 90 grains (by volume) of loose Triple Se7en FFFg or FFg powder. Fifty-yard groups are pretty much of the one-hole variety. Muzzle velocity is slightly over 1,700fps and given that 100 yards is a long shot in south-central Pennsylvania, I see no need to abuse my arthritic shoulder with hotter loads.

I can tell you that gun shoots so cleanly that group size and POI won’t change with a dirty bore. I’ve shot as many as five consecutive shots without cleaning and the on-paper results were no different than with cleaning after every shot.

You’ve only scratched the surface with your test gun. Try other bullets and loose powder – weigh some of those pellets and you’ll see a three to four-grain difference between them. What would a 10 to 12-grain difference in smokeless powder charges do for accuracy?

Keep us posted!

I cant say that is very impressive compared to similar priced competition. A Knight UL will do that at less cost and weight. No form 4473 to fill out and the ignition system can be changed to comply with any state regs. I cant imagine buying a ML designed for long range and shooting PowerBelts either.

Yea so far I was surprised at the reviewers accuracy claims. I expected them to state it was a 1 holer at 100. :roll: :wink:

Reread the OPs posts and the review quote i posted. It appears the OP gave his review in the GunsAmerica article.

I am shooting the parker ballistics extreme bullets 300 grain. I use blackhorn 209 at 160 grains by volume and it is giving me a 2389fps out the barrel it also are printing under 3 inch groups at 300 yards. I have talked to Bob Parker and he has heard the 160 grains by volume in the remington by numerous people have been the key in accuracy in sub moa groups. As for the cutting the breech plug with the bh209 its bull crap its only if you reprime the brass more than 4 times have went as high 6 times it shoots supper well. If by chance u don't like recoil don't go there I will say my 338 lapua has more and my 300 ultra mag but I love this rifle and will soon put it on paper at 400 and 500 so far it has out preformed my bp express muzzleloader.

With what remington has done with the case and breech plug they perfected it when they bought the pat. from ultimate fire arms.

As far as putting a 200 dollar scope on the bad reveiw on the accuracy that magazine did why put a 200 dollar scope on a 1,000 + dollar gun foolish. Im useing 2 different scopes I tried out my Hawke 6x24x50 and my Night force and they both did sub moa at 100 and beyond the bdc nikon printed a 3 inch group on my buddies remington he went to Hawke and bam sub moa 160 grains by volume and 300 parker ballistic extremes!!!!

Interesting review

Which Hawke 6x24x50 ? There appears to be 3.

BTW you can edit your original post to add additional comments.

Yes the 6x24x50 but I also am going to try out the one I just ordered is the 6x24x56 sidewinder pro and I also use leveling bubbles on scope and mounts my mounts are badger orandance match set and the badger base very expensive the base and 30 mm rings where 375 dollars these rings are mounted and honed out to 30 mm so absolutely no pinching are offset binding. Scopes are new to the market for a while not many people are sellers yet. My local gunshop can not get them yet. I got mine off line just takes some shooting to get down your ballistics and calculate on there app. Im one that does alot of long range shooting my 338 lapua and 50 bmg but im passionate of blackpowder and pistol hunting.

Which Hawke 6x24x54 scope did you already use on the Rem Ultimate? They make 3 different ones.

Im sorry reply was so late had to get some sleep for another work day of welding the scope was the Endurance 6x24x50 SF :mrgreen: Lr dot retical

Iceman76 said:
I am shooting the parker ballistics extreme bullets 300 grain. I use blackhorn 209 at 160 grains by volume and it is giving me a 2389fps out the barrel it also are printing under 3 inch groups at 300 yards. I have talked to Bob Parker and he has heard the 160 grains by volume in the remington by numerous people have been the key in accuracy in sub moa groups. As for the cutting the breech plug with the bh209 its bull crap its only if you reprime the brass more than 4 times have went as high 6 times it shoots supper well. If by chance u don't like recoil don't go there I will say my 338 lapua has more and my 300 ultra mag but I love this rifle and will soon put it on paper at 400 and 500 so far it has out preformed my bp express muzzleloader.

Many have found that when shooting beyond 300yds with the BE's, the groups started opening up, although you may not experience the same results. So little is known about he RU, even by the dealers selling them. There may be some gas cutting, as people will want to reprime them more often than they should. I know about that :( Some have been promoting that the cases can be reprimed up to a dozen times, if that's case, its my opinion we'll be seeing some gas cutting in the future.
Its great to hear a good long range report about the RU, as a few guys are having problems with the suggested loads from Remington.

I agree my bp express I have has gas cutting on breech also got new one I did notice on remington I have not had that problem but I will not go over 4 reprimes on it and my bp im only doing 2 the remington got horrible accuracy with t7 and pyrodex but the black horn 209 the hogher volume with parker bullets accuracy got alot tighter with a great scope I just can't see putting a 200 dollar scope on it when the gun is 1,000 I use 2 scopes so far hawke witch really suprised me in quality and my nightforce man they hold great groups 160 grains bp209 and 300 grain parker bullets. Did notice the lower weight did not do well at higher powder charges 275 parkers are better did the trick.

Wow that Endurance scope is huge 31.5oz. Hunting with a rig over 11lbs is not my cup of tea. My SavagePacnor45 is in that range too with much lighter glass and it sees very little field time but i love it on the bench.

I guess my 54-120 and 5lb NULA (just under 7lb ready to hunt) have spoiled me. :D

Latest posts

Back