Mrs. DeerNut Scores on a nice Mulie!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNut

Reaction score
Hey guys, my wife and I just returned from a romantic get-away to Southwest Saskatchewan chasing the Wiley Mule deer. This time my wife was the one holding the tag and I was acting as guide. All I can say is she is a very fussy trophy hunter and is probably a better hunter than I am!! I learned a lot from her on this trip.

We looked over probably 75 bucks in four days and she passed on a high 170's low 180's buck on day two because she felt if she held out she could do better. On the evening of day three she was right and had her big opportunity. We closed the gap on a 190-195 class typical mule deer giant, but fading light a very heavy trigger and a bit of buck fever led to a disappointing miss.

The very next morning (our final morning) we hiked back two miles in the dark to the same location and set up in some cover and began to glass. We looked over fifteen bucks that morning but never saw the BIG one.

Around 8:00, I located a very good buck and I suggested that since it was the last day she shoot it. She looked it over with her binoculars, and told me she wasn't sure, and passed on the buck. As he filtered over a large dune and out of sight, I told her we should sneak up to the ridge and have a peek over and see if any other bucks were in the area and possibly have a better look at the buck she just passed on. After a 20 minute stalk we were in position and were now looking at 20 deer, 10 of which were bucks. I looked them over and found the biggest. He was the same one she had just passed on, and I again pleaded and convinced her this was a good last day buck. She conceded and upon closer examination she agreed that she would be happy to take this buck.

She settled in to a prone position, aimed the 7mm Remington Mag and squeezed off the 200 yard shot, breaking both of the buck's shoulders with the 160 gr. Nosler Partition, putting him down for the count.

Here?s her last day buck?.pretty darn good I?d say!!! He has a 176 typical frame and grosses 184 NT.

IMG_3335.jpg

Who are kidding...shoot it

To most of us that is a great first day Buck...No discussion needed whether to pull the trigger on that one. :roll:

I see that one of you is left handed unless the 7mm mag is your wife's rifle which means she is.

Does you wife have a Sister???

Choc-dog

The left handed rifle is mine. When she missed the big buck the night before, she felt the heavy trigger on her rifle contributed to the miss....along with the excitement of course. I had brought my rifle along merely as a back-up in case of a failed scope or whatever. She has shot a couple animals with my rifle before, so, she said she'd rather shoot a lefty with a light trigger. The rest is history.

She plans on having a trigger job done pronto.

DANG !!! The body on that deer is HUGE. Tell Mrs. Deernut I said congratulations. Awesome. :!:

Congrats, Mrs. Nut!!
I think women who hunt are MUCH more sexy than guys that hunt.
Never the less, If my wife hunted...NOTHING would get done at home. :lol: :lol: :lol:

WONDERFUL DEER!!! You should be proud....

VENISONEATR said:
DANG !!! The body on that deer is HUGE. Tell Mrs. Deernut I said congratulations. Awesome. :!:

That is HUGE!! :shock: :shock:

Great story and nice muley! Congrats to you and your wife!!!

Excellant mule deer buck!!!! :shock:

I wonder what the bigger one looked like?
Man, there is absolutely no way I would have passed on this one.
Congratulations to your wife and cudos to you for helping her.

Hopefully I can get my wifes long time injured foot healed up as she would like to get out and do the same thing.

Again, congratulations to your wife.

I'm not sure how much it weighed, but I'm guessing it was 300lb+ on the hoof.
It felt like twice that much after I dragged it a mile :d'oh!:

Luckily, the landowner had a wheeled game hauler and he rented it to me for the second mile :yeah:

Here's another pick that really shows the body size...it reminded me of a BULL. He almost looks as thick as he is long!!
IMG_3338.jpg

Yup, he's a big boy. Must have been fun trying to load him to. Looks like he's got an extra tine on the right side.

Are mulies that much bigger than white tail? Never saw one up close... only does. :?: :?:

That thing is huge!!!

Yup, they're a lot BIGGER :shock: , harder to drag and lift into a truck :wink:

Hey RAF,
I just pulled him off the wheeler so it wasn't too bad, but I had to hook up a winch in my garage so I could get him off the ground by myself. My regular deer hoist just didn't cut-it.

Looks like he's got an extra tine on the right side

Yup he did, and his left side G4 was bust off....I call all that character :wink: .

I'm getting to old to be hoisting deer. That's why I installed an electric winch in my garage. Mounted on the wall and cables run along the ceiling to a pulling in the middle of the ceiling. Back in, hook 'em up and up they go. Makes skinning a butchering a lot easier. Got get something to put in the reciever of the truck that lifts them and then swings them into the box.

What do you use as a power source for your electric winch? I attached some clips to the leads and when I need to use it, I hook it up to my truck battery. It's a little awkward, but it works.

That is a beautiful buck Mrs. DeerNuts. I would have never passed on one like that, but then seeing something that size alone would have got me excited. It looks like you had a very good guide and a wonderful hunt. Congratulations.

I long ago put a deer hoist system in my garage. That pulling them things over a rafter was all fine and good when I was a young man, but us old buggers get smarter with age... I bought a pully deer hoist system they claim is good to 500 pounds. So far it's worked great.

Deernut, I bought one of those portable battery boosters from Canadian Tire. The winch is on the wall near the ceiling and the wire hang down along my cabinets. I just clip the leads from the booster to the wires, turn it on. The hand control for the winch is right there so I can lift deer or lower it as I need to.

Back