Mule ear 'Kit'???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalshaper03

Reaction score
anyone recognize the "Kit" these were made from??? Evidently, back in the day, they were offered as a kit? My Bud Pat Donahue had the steel
plated version and was working on it for a guy. He never said where it came from, although I think it was 3rd or 4th hand to him? Just trying
to figure out the who, where, when these were offered..

I make my own Muley's ( the lock with the outside mainspring is mine, unfinished ) but it's always nice to see how someone else did it? would be nice to find an
example and have it in hand.. but I've never come across one in the wild!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Attachments

• Muleyc.jpg
    Muleyc.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 19
  • muleyd.jpg
    muleyd.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 21
  • Muley.jpg
    Muley.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 20
The Mule ear lock is a late percussion era variation and seems to be localized in the east coast < kinda like Underhammers>
their timeline is 1830's +/- and they are a true American design. There are a 'few' examples from Europe but they credit US
builders for the inspiration. The Civil War Jenk's carbine is a Mule ear rifle. The Jenk's was the third breech loader design to be adopted by
the military and the only gun design to feature this style of lock..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

L&R now markets a Mule Ear lock that is a drop in for their Durrs Egg flint lock. I have a Pioneer Arms Mule Ear lock that I put on my Lyman Great Plains Flinter. Pioneer Arms is no longer in business.

I know about both of those.. I think L&R bought the rights to Bernie Tolino's Pioneer version?? I'm just curious as to the history of these "snow Flakes":D
we know these kits are/were real, just seems you can't hold one in your hands!!! I make my own locks, but it's always interesting to me to see how
someone else approaches the same problems??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

they weren't popular, most had no safe & when carried at full cock they would hang up in the brush. not a good idea. jmho..

Toot,

funny this is always mentioned, "they hang up in brush".. I have had and have seen the normal side lock rifle, hang up in brush and create interesting situations.. Not saying with a Muley, this isn't a problem but everyone points this out as particular on Side Slappers?? I believe, like underhammers, these were not typically a hunting gun, per se?? most I think were target rifles?? My Locks typically have a half cock notch, but as with a traditional lock,,, this is not a safety or a safe position.. I am not arguing that point, but there are ways to carry a Muley in other than a full cocked position??

Just not everyone's cup of tea?? Again, I'm just trying to figure out where this 'Kit' came from????

metalshaper, I agree with your analogy of the side slippers. they have a very different design for Shure. and yes I would not pass one up iffen it landed in my lap!!!

Toot,

funny this is always mentioned, "they hang up in brush".. I have had and have seen the normal side lock rifle, hang up in brush and create interesting situations.. Not saying with a Muley, this isn't a problem but everyone points this out as particular on Side Slappers?? I believe, like underhammers, these were not typically a hunting gun, per se?? most I think were target rifles?? My Locks typically have a half cock notch, but as with a traditional lock,,, this is not a safety or a safe position.. I am not arguing that point, but there are ways to carry a Muley in other than a full cocked position??

Just not everyone's cup of tea?? Again, I'm just trying to figure out where this 'Kit' came from????
I've seen a few O/U MLs with this feature with one reversed on the same lock on one side of these creations. There is a gunsmith in Casper Wyo that used to mfg a neat side slapper carbine and I bought several unfinished bbls from him when he quit the MLs due to his modern rifle workload. I'm a switch bbl under hammer guy only with 5 'lopes to my credit...Trader

Mossie,
Yeah, there are double locks, that use the same sear to operate both hammers ( one up and one down ) there is also another one that has a single hammer, with dual positions for the 'striker' portion to hit a o/u double.. I also build underhammers and such.. Here is a portion of my things.. My templates are shown around a pic of the single hammer double muley versions made by Billinghurst and I wanna say Miller??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Attachments

• DS UH1.jpg
    DS UH1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Brass Box Lock.jpg
    Brass Box Lock.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 6
  • templatemuley.jpg
    templatemuley.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Miss Muley.jpg
    Miss Muley.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 8
I believe that Deer Creek used to have a mule ear rifle, back when the original owners ran it. Just like they had an underhammer rifle. Give them a call. I did a while back and they said they had underhammer kits available, but that was a couple of years ago.

Thanks Hawk,

No Joy at Deer Creek or Dixion's..DGW is out as well???
I equate them to the ML version of a snowflake... We know they exist, you just can't hold one in their hand..:p

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Kid,

Pat has made his own and then he found a 'kit' that I think he was building for another guy? it's the one I showed in the pic.
I've never been able to find one, but assume they were from 'back in the day'? I make my own but thought it'd be nice to find one of these
and put it together or at least use it as a template for others..

Respect Always
Metalshaper

I always thought of trying a left hand mule ear lock. I like the idea of direct ignition from them.

Tho I like the idea of direct ignition, I’ve never cared for the look of an underhammer, but the mule ear has always intrigued... I did not realize there was no “halfcock/safe” position, as mentioned above...

Tho I like the idea of direct ignition, I’ve never cared for the look of an underhammer, but the mule ear has always intrigued... I did not realize there was no “halfcock/safe” position, as mentioned above...
ON my mule ear, I built a 1/2 cock stop made of deer antler that rest between the hammer and the lock plate and is attached to the trigger guard with a thong. When the hammer is pulled to full cock, the stop drops down and out of the way to fire the gun.

Latest posts

Back