The “ELITE” .45 Cal Hotrod Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a Hawken? Carrying it all day, I thought maybe you had something lighter, handier. I someday hope to find a fast twist WMC. Or a Hawken carbine or sporter. Of course here in Mich, we don't often see long shots like you might. I wouldn't look forward to carrying my Renegade all day.

It’s hard to say if I will hunt with this Rifle or not? I am certainly not Afraid to hunt with it, i take good care of my Guns, So no worries there.

The problem is .45 Cal not being allowed here for Elk, My Muzzleloader Hunting is Geared toward our little 6 Day Cow Elk Hunt, Muzzleloader ONLY Hunt. I stil Prefer my Centerfires in our Deer Season, I have a Dream Quest for a TROPHY Whitetail Buck, NOT that I couldn’t do it with a Muzzleloader! But a LOT of them that i see are a STREEEEEEEETCH Out there, And we only get 1 Tag, 1 Chance a Year.

My All time Favorite Place to Watch for Whitetail is a 350 Yard Shortest Shot, out to 400 Yards Longest. That is Just WAY To far to Shoot at Big Game with Open/Peep Sights, You guy’s see me do this ALL THE TIME on Targets, Even with Patched Roundball! But I would never EVER Take a Shot like that at Big Game. Sure i could go with a Scoped inline, But i see ABSOLUTELY ZERO Challenge There, That is partially why i got Rid of my inlines, in my opinion A Scoped inline is NO DIFFERENT than a Centerfire Rifle, They Belong in General Centerfire Hunts. When i do make the Switch to Muzzleloader (if i do?) it will be my Sidelock Muzzleloaders with Open/Peep Sights
Here in Michigan its a draw/lottery system for elk with any weapon be it gun or bow . Gotta have a guide too last i knew .
During our regular firearm deer season if i have my choice i carry a cf . Im not against giving myself every advantage i can have . A 300 win mag for the northern rifle zone 2 and a 45 Raptor for the southern zone 3 . Ive had no problems either to 600yds with a 1 1/2 x 6 Zeiss Diavari sitting on both for 1 shot Kills . No Dials , No crosshair marks , NO BS !!!!!!! I Prefer a low power scope for everything personally . To me much is lost without them that is vital for a hunt . AND if a lung shot is no good then non believers should explain right here right now why a bow works just dandy . Good Luck . Lol !!!!!
In Michigan we have a strictly mz season thats in December . I can understand how you feel about an inline's optics combined with some of the high rent jobs abilities . My eyes wont let me personally use a peep but i Still stick to a low power 1 to 6 or 1 1/2 to 6 and it still isnt really fair . IMO of course .
If nothing else the fellas that Do like Big Optics should be kinda embarrassed of themselves given what you can do with yours Lewis . Thats the truth too......

That's a Hawken? Carrying it all day, I thought maybe you had something lighter, handier. I someday hope to find a fast twist WMC. Or a Hawken carbine or sporter. Of course here in Mich, we don't often see long shots like you might. I wouldn't look forward to carrying my Renegade all day.

You are definitely right about Weight, these 29” long 1” across the Flats Octagon Barreled Sidelocks do get HEAVY! Buy I don’t seem to be Bothered By them? I have carried my Renegade, GM LRH .50 Cal Elk Hunting 6-7 Miles, A few of them Miles were ROUGH, Steep Country! I didn’t mind having it :lewis:

I do have a Little TC Seneca in .40 Cal, Hoyt Re-bore Barrel, Twisted to Shoot .40 S&W Pistol Bullets, I REALLY NEED to get back out with this thing! I had it Shooting Jacketed Bullets EXTREMELY well, But was Struggling with My little lead Bullets? It Shot them ok, Just not the GM LRH Type Good that i am so Accustomed to.

This thing would be a PLEASURE to Tote Around, These guns are lightweight, and Nimble. They are basically a VERY Scaled Down Hawken, 13/16” Barrel
E8uxPbgl.jpg

DT3IAkyl.jpg

You are definitely right about Weight, these 29” long 1” across the Flats Octagon Barreled Sidelocks do get HEAVY! Buy I don’t seem to be Bothered By them? I have carried my Renegade, GM LRH .50 Cal Elk Hunting 6-7 Miles, A few of them Miles were ROUGH, Steep Country! I didn’t mind having it :lewis:

I do have a Little TC Seneca in .40 Cal, Hoyt Re-bore Barrel, Twisted to Shoot .40 S&W Pistol Bullets, I REALLY NEED to get back out with this thing! I had it Shooting Jacketed Bullets EXTREMELY well, But was Struggling with My little lead Bullets? It Shot them ok, Just not the GM LRH Type Good that i am so Accustomed to.

This thing would be a PLEASURE to Tote Around, These guns are lightweight, and Nimble. They are basically a VERY Scaled Down Hawken, 13/16” Barrel
E8uxPbgl.jpg

DT3IAkyl.jpg
I kinda like this Lil' dude . Nimble and light are 2 of my favorite words !!! Can you tell more about this one ?? I do need a scope though , my eye just cant do peeps anymore .

Last edited:
It’s hard to say if I will hunt with this Rifle or not? I am certainly not Afraid to hunt with it, i take good care of my Guns, So no worries there.

The problem is .45 Cal not being allowed here for Elk, My Muzzleloader Hunting is Geared toward our little 6 Day Cow Elk Hunt, Muzzleloader ONLY Hunt. I stil Prefer my Centerfires in our Deer Season, I have a Dream Quest for a TROPHY Whitetail Buck, NOT that I couldn’t do it with a Muzzleloader! But a LOT of them that i see are a STREEEEEEEETCH Out there, And we only get 1 Tag, 1 Chance a Year.

My All time Favorite Place to Watch for Whitetail is a 350 Yard Shortest Shot, out to 400 Yards Longest. That is Just WAY To far to Shoot at Big Game with Open/Peep Sights, You guy’s see me do this ALL THE TIME on Targets, Even with Patched Roundball! But I would never EVER Take a Shot like that at Big Game. Sure i could go with a Scoped inline, But i see ABSOLUTELY ZERO Challenge There, That is partially why i got Rid of my inlines, in my opinion A Scoped inline is NO DIFFERENT than a Centerfire Rifle, They Belong in General Centerfire Hunts. When i do make the Switch to Muzzleloader (if i do?) it will be my Sidelock Muzzleloaders with Open/Peep Sights

It sure is a lot more rare to run into a buck of that caliber here anymore, let alone get a good shot opportunity at it. I saw one about 4 years ago (on private I didn't have permission to hunt), but before that it had been years. He was 150"-155", lots of extra "trash", wide and tall. I don't think he'd have made it as a non-typical and thus probably wouldn't have netted over 150", but I'd hand him on my wall any day. In my teens and twenties I used to see one at least every other year or so, but usually with a bow in my hand during elk archery season and out of range. They are out there and it is an awful lot of fun trying to find one, make sure you run several game cameras to try to help you locate one. Since getting into BP I've found that it has sparked a renewed interest in me to take most any nice sized deer, very fun yet challenging still-hunting in the timber with a sidelock. I still hold out for a buck for a while, as you know the season is pretty long and only one tag to burn. My main whitetail hunting spot simply does not hold mature bucks, they bed down in a thick, steep canyon just off my place and only make an appearance during the rut. It makes the rut a lot of fun though, you never know what is going to show up.

Back