The “ELITE” .45 Cal Hotrod Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt with a guy who's 10-12 years older than me who started ML'er hunting in the '70's with a T/C Hawken .50 cal. The stock broke somehow so he sent it to T/C for warranty back in the late '80's. It came back with a chunk of wood like Lewis' rifle. The first year I hunted with him was '97 and when he pulled that thing out my mouth fell open. What was worse is he beats the heck out of it doing deer drives. Lol
Some people, and my wife is one, don't care about or don't appreciate a nice piece of wood. They act like it just grows on trees.

I think Everybody here loves that bullet !!!! I wonder if somebody could make it in 409.5 for my super 91 ?? Oh wait , then this michiGANDER would have the GOULDen bullet too !!!! Ah , Sorry , wrong story........:D :topic:

Could always have Accurate Molds make you up one. I could send you a bullet for him to get the specs and size it down to what you are looking for?

I like yours MUCH BETTER Lew! That Medallion kills it for me. Guess that's one reason why I like the Renegade so much, it has none of that brass glitter on it.

Love that Sax.mod. that wood is beautiful, going to do my brothers Hawkin next winter with great wood and water buffalo horn butt plate ,grip cap and end cap, the same as I am doing to my English sporting interchangeable build I am doing now, pics will come.

Like you Lewis, I found my stock on Ebay. The recoil pad was already on the stock when I purchased it and appears to be done very professionally. I have both 45 and 50 Caliber stainless LRH barrels that fit in this stock.

Like you Lewis, I found my stock on Ebay. The recoil pad was already on the stock when I purchased it and appears to be done very professionally. I have both 45 and 50 Caliber stainless LRH barrels that fit in this stock.

Some people are just Blessed! You are one lucky Guy!

Man that's a pretty rifle Lew. I tried to find a donor to do that with. The closest I came was actually here in Buhl. I found a cougar but the stock was cracked. I would have bought it for the parts but they still wanted an arm and a leg for it.
That's not the first 15/16" gun you have shot, don't forget you shot mine.

yqLv2yT.jpg

tNMDiNY.jpg

Man that's a pretty rifle Lew. I tried to find a donor to do that with. The closest I came was actually here in Buhl. I found a cougar but the stock was cracked. I would have bought it for the parts but they still wanted an arm and a leg for it.
That's not the first 15/16" gun you have shot, don't forget you shot mine.

yqLv2yT.jpg

tNMDiNY.jpg

Awesome trip down Memory Lane Ron! I didn’t even think about your Rifle Being 15/16” But it DEFINITELY is! That was a lot of fun, I think about that Whitetail Hunt with you often. We REALLY Need to make that Happen Again :lewis: You are always Welcome here, Jax and i both Really enjoyed your Company

Lew, when are you going to shoot your rifle with bullets that we’re nade with 1-40 lead and sized to fit your bore? Dying to find out if that made a difference.

The lead in my “Alloy Pot” is Closer to 1-30 in Hardness, i just recently checked it. This would be fine to test this as well :lewis: It’s a Pain to Completely Empty a Lead Pot to Swap out Alloys. But Now that I know i can Shoot Soft Lead Bullets in this Rifle this well, it is less interesting to me to bother with the Harder Bullets

I am confident the Harder bullets will shoot in the Gun with a Little Tinkering, But it sure is neat to know that this Particular Barrel Shoots PURE Lead really Well, And isn’t finicky about it. I know from Hands on Experience that Not all of these Stainless GM LRH Barrels will do this. My Old .50, And Idahoron’s Stainless LRH Barrels Prefer a Bullet with a pinch of Hardness to them in order to Shoot to their Full potential.

Are you going to hunt this rifle Lew?
My guess is no, since this one is so purty and all and you have several others to use, but I know you've found with bump tests that soft lead doesn't hold in the barrel real well. I figured you might mess with finding a little harder alloy if you were going to hunt it.

Are you going to hunt this rifle Lew?
My guess is no, since this one is so purty and all and you have several others to use, but I know you've found with bump tests that soft lead doesn't hold in the barrel real well. I figured you might mess with finding a little harder alloy if you were going to hunt it.

It’s hard to say if I will hunt with this Rifle or not? I am certainly not Afraid to hunt with it, i take good care of my Guns, So no worries there.

The problem is .45 Cal not being allowed here for Elk, My Muzzleloader Hunting is Geared toward our little 6 Day Cow Elk Hunt, Muzzleloader ONLY Hunt. I stil Prefer my Centerfires in our Deer Season, I have a Dream Quest for a TROPHY Whitetail Buck, NOT that I couldn’t do it with a Muzzleloader! But a LOT of them that i see are a STREEEEEEEETCH Out there, And we only get 1 Tag, 1 Chance a Year.

My All time Favorite Place to Watch for Whitetail is a 350 Yard Shortest Shot, out to 400 Yards Longest. That is Just WAY To far to Shoot at Big Game with Open/Peep Sights, You guy’s see me do this ALL THE TIME on Targets, Even with Patched Roundball! But I would never EVER Take a Shot like that at Big Game. Sure i could go with a Scoped inline, But i see ABSOLUTELY ZERO Challenge There, That is partially why i got Rid of my inlines, in my opinion A Scoped inline is NO DIFFERENT than a Centerfire Rifle, They Belong in General Centerfire Hunts. When i do make the Switch to Muzzleloader (if i do?) it will be my Sidelock Muzzleloaders with Open/Peep Sights

It’s hard to say if I will hunt with this Rifle or not? I am certainly not Afraid to hunt with it, i take good care of my Guns, So no worries there.

The problem is .45 Cal not being allowed here for Elk, My Muzzleloader Hunting is Geared toward our little 6 Day Cow Elk Hunt, Muzzleloader ONLY Hunt. I stil Prefer my Centerfires in our Deer Season, I have a Dream Quest for a TROPHY Whitetail Buck, NOT that I couldn’t do it with a Muzzleloader! But a LOT of them that i see are a STREEEEEEEETCH Out there, And we only get 1 Tag, 1 Chance a Year.

My All time Favorite Place to Watch for Whitetail is a 350 Yard Shortest Shot, out to 400 Yards Longest. That is Just WAY To far to Shoot at Big Game with Open/Peep Sights, You guy’s see me do this ALL THE TIME on Targets, Even with Patched Roundball! But I would never EVER Take a Shot like that at Big Game. Sure i could go with a Scoped inline, But i see ABSOLUTELY ZERO Challenge There, That is partially why i got Rid of my inlines, in my opinion A Scoped inline is NO DIFFERENT than a Centerfire Rifle, They Belong in General Centerfire Hunts. When i do make the Switch to Muzzleloader (if i do?) it will be my Sidelock Muzzleloaders with Open/Peep Sights

So, if you are on a still hunt, not in a stand or blind, which sidelock is your go to gun? If it's going to be an all day, or longer, hunt? I know the renegade isn't the lightest thing to carry around.

So, if you are on a still hunt, not in a stand or blind, which sidelock is your go to gun? If it's going to be an all day, or longer, hunt? I know the renegade isn't the lightest thing to carry around.

I would choose my TC Hawken, With Rice 1:20 Twist Barrel, that thing is just plain WICKED :lewis:

Back