Muzzle Loader Silhouette Match, anyone tried this?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mallen

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has participated in one of these. They hold these at a local gun club. I wouldn't mind to try.

Muzzle Loader Silhouette Match Course of Fire:
Targets are steel silhouettes, 20 rounds total. Possible score is 20.
String consists of one shot at each of five targets starting from left to right. Hitting a target out of sequence is counted as a miss.
After the line has been declared hot participants will load their first round.
Timing will start at the fire command with a maximum of fifteen minutes per set of targets.
Chickens at 40 yards, five round string, fifteen minutes allowed per string.
Pigs at 60 yards, five round string, fifteen minutes allowed per string.
Turkeys at 77 yards, five round string, fifteen minutes allowed per string.
Rams at 100 yards, five round string, fifteen minutes allowed per string.

Muzzle Loader Equipment and Firearms Two Classes:
Hooked breech, exposed hammer
. For example but not limited to Hawken, Mountain and Plains, Kentucky and Pennsylvania rifles. Iron sights only, any bullet.
Modern In-Line. Any sights, any bullet.

NOTE: Muzzle Loader only, no black powder cartridge firearms.
No practice or sight in allowed on the day of the match, no exceptions

Yes, similar but targets were paper and spread out from 50-200yds. Even matches that have proportional silhouettes on paper.
3min/shot is typical NMLRA timed events.
Enjoy and have fun.

Where is the match being held? Always good to promote for others that may wish to attend.

Council Bluffs Rifle and Pistol Club, Council Bluffs Iowa. It looks as though it's only open to members, which I am not...yet. They have no dates set up yet either. Assuming because of Covid.

We did this for several years at the Oklahoma City Gun Club. It is a lot of fun and very challenging as we were using the 1/2 size targets used for the lever action, pistol caliber rifle targets. We stopped a couple of years ago as our match dates were always preempted by scheduled silhouette club events but I would take it up again were it offered. While it looks pretty simple the best scores ever shot were 18 and 16 would often win.

For those that have shot these, if there's a tie for # of hits, what's the tie breaker generally? Quickest round? Since it's accuracy driven would you swab between shots? You would have time for the windex swab. I guess it would depend on how your rifle is sighted in, dirty barrel or clean barrel.

Mallen:
Ties: usually are determined by the number of hits at the longest distance and/or the number of consecutive hits at the longest distance, if still tied - the next longest distance and so on.
3 min/ shot is enough for swabbing.

45-70:
thanks for posting.

We used the number of hits on the Turkeys as tie breakers since they are generally the hardest to hit. At our range we had 10 minutes for 5 shots. If you were shooting a flinter that could be challenging so we changed to 15 min.

Yes we shoot this most of the time in our club lot of fun and shooting steel is my favorite!

Back