Muzzleloader Doe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boreal

Reaction score
I put down the bow and picked up the .50 cal Omega on Monday. Morning hunt was a bust. Nothing moving and temps around 10 degrees with a very light wind. I hunted a different stand in the afternoon. I had a line of 6 does followed by two spikes pass by me. The does were small and my trigger didn't get tripped. A while later I spotted a larger doe behind me. She was very cautious and took a while before she moved down off the bank towards the river. At the shot of about 60 yards, she charged towards the river with no indication of a hit. She stopped at the waters edge, was still for a second then fell over dead. The load was two 50 grain 777 pellets and a Hornady SST 300 gr bullet and sabot.

Attachments

• 20221226_184224 (2).jpg
    20221226_184224 (2).jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 0
That's a nice one. Congrats on your take there. Good eating size.

I put down the bow and picked up the .50 cal Omega on Monday. Morning hunt was a bust. Nothing moving and temps around 10 degrees with a very light wind. I hunted a different stand in the afternoon. I had a line of 6 does followed by two spikes pass by me. The does were small and my trigger didn't get tripped. A while later I spotted a larger doe behind me. She was very cautious and took a while before she moved down off the bank towards the river. At the shot of about 60 yards, she charged towards the river with no indication of a hit. She stopped at the waters edge, was still for a second then fell over dead. The load was two 50 grain 777 pellets and a Hornady SST 300 gr bullet and sabot.
:lewis:

I no longer hunt deer or any other game animal for that matter. The last deer I killed was with my 20 ga. smoothbore using a patched ball. That load is exceptionally accurate but the bare ball load isn't too far behind. The doe was only about 20 yards away but was running away from something. If I'd only waited another 15-20 seconds I'd have had a shot at a buck.

Latest posts

Back