Muzzleloader Max Loads.....maybe not what you think!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher45

Reaction score
I made the following post on a local/regional hunting forum I belong to, that was motivated by another thread on there about a muzzleloader that was said to have blown-up. I am continually amazed at the lack of understanding I see from all sorts of muzzleloader shooters (from "old-school", to "newbie") as to just what "maximum load of 150 grains" REALLY means.

I wanted to share this with you all, and hear some feedback on this issue. The first response I got was "Thank you.....would have never put that together!".

"I see a whole lot of confusion in the muzzleloading industry as to what constitutes a "maximum load of 150grains".

All powder measurements referred to in this post are measured by VOLUME, not weight. If you measure grains by weight, you must realize that it doesn't measure the same as measuring by volume at all with MOST substitutes. From my understanding, most substitutes weigh much LESS than BP given the same volume.

From my understanding, the term "150grain maximum load" is not being communicated well at all by the muzzleloading industry. It is to the point I see long-time muzzleloader regulars on online forums misinterpreting it ALL THE TIME when making recommendations to newbies. It makes for a lot of confusion to the new guy like me that just bought his first, and is looking online to see what others are doing with theirs, and/or recommending.

When in doubt, CALL THE COMPANY.

To my understanding, the muzzleloader industry as a whole is not making it clear enough that when they say the max load in their magnum-rated guns is 150 grains, that means a charge that is equivalent to 150 grains of Black Powder.

TO MY UNDERSTANDING (which is not a strong one in this scene), that means (in terms of max loads/pressure).

1) 110grains of FFF 777 is the equivalent of 150grains of Black Powder. (Note: for some reason, CVA says no FFF in their guns......?).

2) From Hodgdon's 777 load notes page "To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%. ". They say "velocity", but does this correlate to pressure the same way? My understanding is that this would make the max load of 777 2f used in a CVA muzzleloader to be ?120grains?

3. Haven't seen an official conversion chart as to the equivalency of BH209, to Black Powder, so I would have to operate under the assumption that Western Powders recommended max of 120 grains is most likely equivalent to 150grains of Black Powder. Would CVA intentionally recommend a maximum load for their magnum rated muzzleloaders, that exceeds the powder manufacturers recommendation by 30 grains?

DISCLAIMER: The following is to the best of my recollection.........don't take my word for this. I do not know what I am doing. Call CVA if you want to know for yourself.

I called CVA to clarify their "no sabot loads over 300grains no conicals over 400grains" rule, as I insist on using at least 440grains for conicals used on our Roosevelt Elk we have out here. After some back and forth, I was told that 440grainers would be OK in a CVA OptimaV2 or AccuraV2, so long as the charge did not exceed 100 grains EQUIVALENT to Black Powder. So I should be able to make a plenty reasonable elk load out of that.

So that would make the maximum charge by volume in a CVA muzzleloader with a 400+grain conical about 70(?)grains of FFF 777 (CVA says NO fff in their guns), 85grains of BH209/FF 777, or 100grains of Pyrodex (I didn't do all the math, so all those numbers could be wrong).

Just wanted people to look further into what "Magnum rated for 150grains" muzzleloaders actually means, and bring awareness to the confusion before someone messes up royally hurting themselves by loading 150grains of 777 or BH209 behind a heavy conical because they thought they knew it was OK from their research online, or are basing what they are doing on their past experience using lower-powered propellents/powders.

Again.........I could be wrong about everything in this post. You won't ever catch me sharing load data on a muzzleloader online, that is for sure.

So using that data (if it is correct), unless the shooter is shooting real black powder, or Pyrodex (which we don't know at this point), a 110grain charge is pretty close to maximum no matter what sub you use (other than Pyrodex) assuming a bullet weight of UNDER 400grains in a CVA (otherwise it is over max by at least %10!).

Almost every muzzleloader enthusiast I have ever seen online developing loads for bore-sized conicals in a .50cal, settled on between 70 and 90 grains of 777 (lower end for FFF, upper end for FF) due to heavy conicals not benefiting nearly as much from additional powder charges as the lighter bullets do, and the pressures/recoil going way, way up with the heavier conicals with little-to-any additional benefits.

Just some stuff to think about."

Butcher45

Good reading about powder loads, but some manufactures post different information about the loads in their rifles.

In this case I have pulled the information from the 2014 rifle manual that came with my Mountaineer

If you look a note #1 it indicates real black powder and or any approved black powder substitute.

Another problem comes with the theory when you consider real Swiss Black Powder - it produces pressure traces greater than an equal amount of most real black powders and/or the Pyrodex subs. It will produce nearly the same velocities as T7 and very close to BH.

Not sure why anyone would want to shoot 150 grain loads but I do know that some do. In the case of BH it often produces less peak pressure, since it is basically a smokeless powder but more importantly a progressive burning powder than similar loads of Swiss and T7.

That Knight chart is good stuff.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow, and clarify that they are saying that 150grains by volume of Blackhorn behind a 300grainer is OK in their guns.

Can't help but notice that no 150grain charge on the list had a bullet weight of over 300grains. I wonder what the Knight-approved charges are for heavy bore-sized conicals?

Interesting stuff. I'm real curious about where I can find the "Industry Approved Black Powder Substitute" list.

One thing to keep in mind is the law of 'diminishing returns'. One can't expect the same efficiency of burn with the highest charges, likely more so with pellets.

Let's take a 200 grain pellet charge advertised for the Rem 700 M-L. We can't expect twice the velocity of a 100 grain pellet charge in the same 27" or so inch barrel.

As far as recoil is concerned, a 120 grain charge of B209 has plenty of thump on each end for me. I use that as my max but usually back that off a bit to 110.

Butcher45 said:
That Knight chart is good stuff.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow, and clarify that they are saying that 150grains by volume of Blackhorn behind a 300grainer is OK in their guns.

Can't help but notice that no 150grain charge on the list had a bullet weight of over 300grains. I wonder what the Knight-approved charges are for heavy bore-sized conicals?

Interesting stuff. I'm real curious about where I can find the "Industry Approved Black Powder Substitute" list.

You are right, as a standard the industry is about as clear as mud. I'm gonna say that Knight isn't referring to BH209 w/150gr. Western Powders does not recommend using more than 120gr of BH209. You definitely don't want to shoot 150 of BH in any rifle, imo. Will or have some folks done it, yep.

Here is the load data sheet. BH209 load data

I have a feeling that Knight or any other mass produced rifle company, when discussing BH in their rifles, are probably going to relate back to the propellant manufacturer's maximum listed charge of 120grs volume or 84grs by weight. However one would also wonder, why the manufacturers haven't listed BH and a maximum charge, as BH has been in production for quite some time and is being shot by an awful lot of shooters/hunters.

ENCORE50A said:
I have a feeling that Knight or any other mass produced rifle company, when discussing BH in their rifles, are probably going to relate back to the propellant manufacturer's maximum listed charge of 120grs volume or 84grs by weight. However one would also wonder, why the manufacturers haven't listed BH and a maximum charge, as BH has been in production for quite some time and is being shot by an awful lot of shooters/hunters.

Agree. Certainly wouldn't be very hard to list two charts. One for BH, one for the other subs and black. Or at least mention that the chart is NOT for BH209, and see manufacturer for max loads. That would clear up alot, and certainly keep people safer. As it is, it could certainly be construed that the charts are for any powder.

I think of the people that aren't that knowledgeable in this sport yet... they've heard somewhere that this new BH209 powder is awesome, and they load up a 300g bullet with 150gr BH209.... :shock:

WV Hunter said:
ENCORE50A said:

Agree. Certainly wouldn't be very hard to list two charts. One for BH, one for the other subs and black. Or at least mention that the chart is NOT for BH209, and see manufacturer for max loads. That would clear up alot, and certainly keep people safer. As it is, it could certainly be construed that the charts are for any powder.

I think of the people that aren't that knowledgeable in this sport yet... they've heard somewhere that this new BH209 powder is awesome, and they load up a 300g bullet with 150gr BH209.... :shock:

Yup, they could even use the chart made by Western. http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/ ... erdata.pdf

I believe blackhorn powder clearly states load limits on container and reference to 150 gr comparison.

bestill said:
I believe blackhorn powder clearly states load limits on container and reference to 150 gr comparison.

That could also be a problem for the "new guys" getting into the sport. Their rifle manual states one thing, the propellant container states another and they may not even read either. IMO it should be in the manufacturer's manuals, if only to cover themselves. They all know about it.....

I will agree completely.
Seems to me most manufacturers are tightly connected to hogdon powders
They dont reference typically any other brand powder such as swiss.

Said if individuals dive it muzzleloading and don't read.
But a reality.

What manufacture is not standing behind what is put in the manual? And what manufacture is not standing behind all black powder substitutes? For example.

If Savage says the max load in there ML is 120grns of Black powder by volume and a 300grn bullet. What manufacture is saying you cant do that same load with 777 or BH209 for example?

CVA clearly states in there manual, that there magnum ML is rated for 150grns of pelletized powder only. Not loose powder.

1874sharpsshooter said:
My last knight manual says not to exceed 120 gr Blackhorn. Thats on page 14 .

This is my point? Knight is telling you what to do. Who is not telling you what to do?? Wheres the problem at?

CVA clearly states in there manual, that there magnum ML is rated for 150grns of pelletized powder only. Not loose powder.

Mine did not and the last few times ive looked at the CVA PDF files it said you could use either 150grV of pellets or loose powder. The only recommended pellets because they claim pellets burn more efficiently.

http://www.cva.com/pdf/AccuraV2%20Rifle ... -13%29.pdf

MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM LOADS
CVA recommends a minimum of 50 grains, by volume, of blackpowder or black
powder substitute in your .45 or .50 caliber gun. The maximum load in CVA break-
action guns is 150 grains by volume. This maximum load is generally known as the
“magnum” load and is best suited for pelletized powder due to the more efficient
burning characteristics of the powder pellets. Magnum loads of loose powder may
be used but are not recommended because of their inefficient and incomplete burning of the powder.
Some bullet designs depend on the thrust of the powder charge
to expand, or obdurate, the bullet inside the bore for best accuracy. Loads under
50 grains cannot be depended on to do this. In many cases lighter bullets are more
sensitive to this than heavier bullets and often require heavy powder charges to

GM54-120 said:

Mine did not and the last few times ive looked at the CVA PDF files it said you could use either 150grV of pellets or loose powder. The only recommended pellets because they claim pellets burn more efficiently.

http://www.cva.com/pdf/AccuraV2%20Rifle ... -13%29.pdf

MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM LOADS
CVA recommends a minimum of 50 grains, by volume, of blackpowder or black
powder substitute in your .45 or .50 caliber gun. The maximum load in CVA break-
action guns is 150 grains by volume. This maximum load is generally known as the
“magnum” load and is best suited for pelletized powder due to the more efficient
burning characteristics of the powder pellets. Magnum loads of loose powder may
be used but are not recommended because of their inefficient and incomplete burning of the powder.
Some bullet designs depend on the thrust of the powder charge
to expand, or obdurate, the bullet inside the bore for best accuracy. Loads under
50 grains cannot be depended on to do this. In many cases lighter bullets are more
sensitive to this than heavier bullets and often require heavy powder charges to

Your right GM54, I did read that wrong. But CVA still claims not to shoot a saboted bullet over 300grns.

People who are concerned about magnum loose powder loads should be terrified of 3 pellet loads. Lyman Ballistic labs tested a 3 pellet load with a 250gr sabotted bullet. Pressures exceeded 30kpsi without even cracking a pellet. None of the "magnum" loose powders tested broke 30kpsi in the test barrel.

Its ironic because Hodgdon does not recommend ANY 3 pellet loads or have any 3 pellet load data. Yet they have 100grV 3FG load data for 50cals. CVA expressly forbids using 3FG of any kind for 45 or 50cal yet that load makes FAR less pressure than 3 pellets. I was told flat out by CVA CS that if i used 3FG my warranty was void.

Its very easy to crack a pellet and peak pressure can rise to near the 40kpsi mark. None of my Savage loads even went that high with sabots and those barrels had some serious proof tests plus years of stress tests before going into production.

Back