Muzzleloading hunting & your knife .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwbaker

Reaction score
Ok when your out hunting whats your go to hunting knife ? My go to knife is a fox river made by Bark River . :wink:

Gerber gator, going on close to 20 years I would think

I use lots of different knives. Whichever one strikes my fancy. But this last deer I used the knife I made for my father. He died sept 6th.

That's it on the left next to my Buck 113 Skinner

rwbaker said:
Ok when your out hunting whats your go to hunting knife ? My go to knife is a fox river made by Bark River . :wink:

Always Kershaw. To me, they are the Best Buy in China-made hunting knives. :D

I have quite a few knives, all have various purposes. For field dressing, what I've found over the years through trial and error (and gutting over 200 deer)...I personally like a fixed handle knife with about a 5" long, thin blade. That way I can get in the anus and get it completely cut loose with no problem. That is where I start, so wide blades for me just don't cut it. (pun intended :lol: )

Here is my favorite....a 25yr old Smith & Wesson (top) and the Buck below is my sons. I have a number of other knives that I use for skinning, butchering, etc.

Attachments

• knives1.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 1,072
I have a G96 folding knife I carry while hunting/gutting an skinning. I did carry a fixed blade knife/sheath many years back an one day happened to slide down a bank an fell on the knife. I wasn't hurt but it got me to thinking what could have happened so I carry the folding knife now. Safety first, especially mine!!

Love my old buck 317 for the grunt work. I like my Knives of Alaska Cub Bear for capeing.

WV Hunter said:
I have quite a few knives, all have various purposes. For field dressing, what I've found over the years through trial and error (and gutting over 200 deer)...I personally like a fixed handle knife with about a 5" long, thin blade. That way I can get in the anus and get it completely cut loose with no problem. That is where I start, so wide blades for me just don't cut it. (pun intended :lol: )

Here is my favorite....a 25yr old Smith & Wesson (top) and the Buck below is my sons. I have a number of other knives that I use for skinning, butchering, etc.
Absolutely agree, long thin blind for anus cutting is the best from a practical standpoint, Actually have a switchblade (don't ask) that would be perfect for the task, but have a classic Buck 110 that I have owned for 25 plus yrs that I cannot let go even though I know from a practical standpoint is not best for the job. Still amazes me that alot of hunters (and or city slickers) cannot figure out that you can gut a deer without removing the front pelvic bone with a saw.

I have a number of knives but normally when hunting, I carry a four inch folding Buck Knife in my fanny pack. I also have two Green River Blades I purchased many years ago that I then turned into knives. One is a skinning knife and it comes in real handy when I am dressing or taking the skin off. Another Knife I have when I get ready to skin is a Primos "The Caper" knife. Small but holds an excellent edge. The joke with me is, I always leave my knives at camp and end up field dressing them with my swiss pocket knife.

lptroll said:
Still amazes me that alot of hunters (and or city slickers) cannot figure out that you can gut a deer without removing the front pelvic bone with a saw.

Isn't that the truth! :roll: I was asked to cape out a nice buck for a mount for my Nephews Mother in-law. Her and Her husband and the rest just all stood around and watched while I showed my Nephew how to do it. When I took the head off the neck right at the head with a Knife they were stunned I did not pull out a saw! I just said "what for?" :roll:

By golly, you boys made me curious so I checked my Buck Folding Knight. It is a 110 model also. Must be a popular knife.

I have used a Buck Crosslock for years...Hard to find these anymore.

Attachments

• saustin3_2008_03039.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 969
Mine was made by Blind Horse Knves. I don't think they are still in business. The blade is about two and a half inches long. It's carbon steel which seems to hold an edge better than the stainless used in some current production knives. It has a neck sheath with it. It is amazingly convenient when hunting.

I made a few this year to try. This one is the one I made for my son.

BirdeyeC_zpse3c0af66.jpg

This is the one I made for my self.

DoneBsmall_zps65df3650.jpg

This is the fillet knife I made for my Camper.

fillet2_zps1a25a87f.jpg

Latest posts

Back