My Accura V2 .45 dropped a 9 @ 9

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just moved my treestand location a few days ago. I hunt from a Summit Viper Mini.
I had this 2.5yr old 9 point buck with 5 does come thru the pine thicket at about 9am. I have very limited shooting lines, so the instant I have an opening, I shoot. I mostly do head or neck shots to drop them in their tracks. It's just too dang hard to track & retrieve a deer that's run off after bein shot. DRT is the only way to go. This buck was quartering to me, nose into the 8mph northeast wind. Head shot on a walking deer at 70yds. The does all ran & stopped 20yds from me. I didn't want to reload & blow my sweet new stand location. So I waited until they moved off. Then as I was reloading a much nicer buck popped his head up comin from behind that herd & the sun hit all them horns. My eyes got big lol but he busted me reloading & high tailed it before I could shoot him. Hopefully my body will let me hunt again tomorrow. I couldn't have hauled two deer out today anyway. He's broken down & in a cooler with 20lbs of ice now. I am thoroughly whooped. But I saw plenty of deer & made a great shot on this guy. Awesome day in all.
I can kill 1 more buck this yr then I'm tagged out. Then it's fall Osceola turkey time.9 point buck 1.JPG9 point buck 2.JPG9 point buck 3.JPGSummit Mini Viper.JPG

Nice shot! Sounds like you have to be quick from them stands.
Thank you. Yep, in the past I've tried to wait for the deer to stop or get a perfect broadside shot, but that is just rare & I've had several get behind some thick leafed undergrowth trees & never see them again. I have a small semi open area around my stand & about 40yds from it, then it's pretty thick everywhere else. There's a trail running N to S & another running E to W & I'm set up to utilize both. But usually by the time I see them, they're danger close & I can't move. Or I have to be able to bring my gun up & shoot in a second or two.
It's challenging & really fun. Getting them out, even with a deer cart is absolutely brutal.

Congrats brother, nice buck!
How do you like the mini viper stand?
Thank ya kindly. This mini viper is sound deadened & only 18lbs. It's a lil bit tight inside it when I have my cold weather gear on, but not unmanageable. It's easy to pack, easy & quiet to set up, easy to climb up & down quietly, and still comfortable enough for dark to dark hunts. I had the orig Viper when they came out, but it weights 26lbs & was not sound deadened. I still loved the heck out of it & hunted all over the place in 3 states with it. I won't have any other self climber than a Viper. Well worth every dime.

Thank ya kindly. This mini viper is sound deadened & only 18lbs. It's a lil bit tight inside it when I have my cold weather gear on, but not unmanageable. It's easy to pack, easy & quiet to set up, easy to climb up & down quietly, and still comfortable enough for dark to dark hunts. I had the orig Viper when they came out, but it weights 26lbs & was not sound deadened. I still loved the heck out of it & hunted all over the place in 3 states with it. I won't have any other self climber than a Viper. Well worth every dime.
My old API climber will need replaced one of these days. The mini viper is what I would want. I'm average height and weight.
5'9, 168 pounds. It should fit me pretty good.
Thanks

My old API climber will need replaced one of these days. The mini viper is what I would want. I'm average height and weight.
5'9, 168 pounds. It should fit me pretty good.
Thanks
You're welcome. Yes, that mini viper should suit & serve you very well. It can be used on trees as small a dia as 8". Thats how big of a pine tree its hangin on right now.

Nice shooting. That kind of shot will stop a deer dead in it's tracks. looks to be a young deer so probably dandy fixins right there.

Back