My Accurate Molds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Figured I'd show the molds i had made, This all started from Idahoron and the Lee S&W 500 bullet, i absolutely loved the bullet design but i preferred them to drop under size, and i did away with Gas Check cut since i planned to Paper patch these, I had 2 molds made from the Lee S&W 500 bullet, a .50 Cal and a .54 Cal, I sent Tom a bullet to go off of, Again the Man did an AWESOME job!

Here are all 3 bullets, .50, .54 and .45

The .54 With a Hornady XTP .44 Magnum bullet sitting on the Meplat

My Lyman Great Plains Hunter .54 Cal 1:32 Twist, this rifle has taken awhile to grow on me, it is the only new current production Muzzleloader i own, I bought it brand new and to be honest I didn't really like it after i started messing with it, i hated the Crescent Butt! That was the first thing i did away with, most of it is little cosmetic things I don't like about it, they are kinda rough around the edges, tooling marks along the barrel flats in places, little stainless pins holding the nose cap in place were protruding out of the wood and would stick ya (i had to grind them off) just little tid bit things that I don't feel like I should of had to mess with. This rifle was also the Hangfire Champion my first outing with it, when i got home i took an 1/8" drill bit by hand and went through the side cleanout screw and turned it til I couldn't anymore, i got several little metal burrs out of it, That fixed it, this Rifle has never hangfired again since, here it is, kinda ugly, big long gangly lookin thing, but it does shoot REALLY well!

You need to have a Dump truck full of lead backed up to your Lead pot when you get on a roll with these molds!

Here is a Target i shot with the Lyman rifle above and the big .54 Bullet above, this was 50 yards to test

Weight of the big Paper Patch 54

Sweet!
Do you have the model/mold numbers if someone wanted to order one from Accurate ?

How has the .50 caliber bullet shot for you in a 1:28 twist?

Scott

Another question:
what material do you order these molds made out of?
Aluminum? Brass? Steel/Iron?
Thanks! :)

shguns said:
Another question:
what material do you order these molds made out of?
Aluminum? Brass? Steel/Iron?
Thanks! :)

I have 2 Accurate molds that are Iron/steel, and the others (3 of them) are Aluminum, The Iron/steel cost a bit more, but in my honest opinion they are worth it. A good quality steel mold is truly a pleasure to work with, and will literally outlast us if taken care of. On the other hand the Aluminum molds from Accurate are quite a bit cheaper, and built like tanks! They should last a lifetime as well if properly cared for. The Aluminum can obviously be damaged easier than steel, The Aluminum molds are easier to care for, no worry of rust. They both have their ups and downs. I have never owned a brass mold, nor used one so i cant comment on them, they are priced between the Aluminum and iron/steel. Tom is a great guy to deal with, very knowledgeable, and will make a custom mold to your specified tolerances, if you are unsure of exactly what you need/want he has been more than willing to help me make a few different decisions, he is truly a Craftsman with these molds, I highly recommend his molds!

Back