My Dad’s 2020 Buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Northern Idaho we are PREDOMINANTLY Whitetail (Mountain Whitetail) Elevation is 2300 Feet here in Town where i live. When you head up in the Mountains here, and get up around 5,000 Feet that is when you Start running in to Mule Deer, But even then We just don’t have Big Numbers of Mule Deer up here in Extreme North Idaho (i am only 50 miles from Canada) I would say the best Mule Deer hunting here in Idaho starts about Middle of the State, and runs down to the very Bottom of the State.

That's interesting how they're distributed, I had no idea. Mule deer have some of the most attractive antlers of any deer I reckon but I've read whitetail are hard to beat table fare wise. Interesting stuff anyway.

That's interesting how they're distributed, I had no idea. Mule deer have some of the most attractive antlers of any deer I reckon but I've read whitetail are hard to beat table fare wise. Interesting stuff anyway.

I have successfully hunted And Killed MANY of 3 different Species of Deer. Blacktail Deer (I grew up hunting them) Mule Deer, And Whitetails the last 11 Years that I have lived here in North Idaho. In my opinion Whitetail are FAR Superior eating Deer. I have had some pretty Rank Blacktail & Mule Deer over the years that were killed in the Rutt, On the other Hand i have killed Several decent Whitetail Bucks that were in the Rutt here, They Don’t Smell ANYTHING Close to a Rutted up Mule Deer or Blacktail, And the Whitetail Tastes no Different to me than when Killed earlier. Thats been my Experience anyway

Mule Deer are NO DOUBT Cool looking Critters, They can get BIG. I Killed a Record Book P&Y (Pope & Young) Wa State Mule Deer with my Bow several years ago, He is in the Wa State Book :lewis: I have killed Several Mule Deer over the Years, i am no Stranger to them :)
7fu215s.jpg

This is a GIANT Mule Deer a Friend of mine Killed in Southern Idaho 20 something years ago, He had it Mounted, He is deceased now, I am not sure where this Head is anymore? This Buck belongs in The “Idaho’s Greatest Mule Deer” Book.
AQN517s.jpg

And this is a Nice Blacktail Buck from the Wa Coast. Antler wise, They look IDENTICAL to Mule Deer, But don’t get near as Big. Like i said earlier, i grew up hunting these, Cut my Teeth on Blacktail :lewis: I have Killed several of these over the Years as well
AXswD6o.jpg

This is my best Whitetail so far, These guy’s are my ABSOLUTE favorite of 3 Species to Hunt. Whitetail are INCREDIBLY Smart Deer, it’s not even fair to Compare them against the others, Mule Deer and Blacktail are NOWHERE Near as Smart as these Guy’s
ptEUdeD.jpg

Theyr
I have successfully hunted And Killed MANY of 3 different Species of Deer. Blacktail Deer (I grew up hunting them) Mule Deer, And Whitetails the last 11 Years that I have lived here in North Idaho. In my opinion Whitetail are FAR Superior eating Deer. I have had some pretty Rank Blacktail & Mule Deer over the years that were killed in the Rutt, On the other Hand i have killed Several decent Whitetail Bucks that were in the Rutt here, They Don’t Smell ANYTHING Close to a Rutted up Mule Deer or Blacktail, And the Whitetail Tastes no Different to me than when Killed earlier. Thats been my Experience anyway

Mule Deer are NO DOUBT Cool looking Critters, They can get BIG. I Killed a Record Book P&Y (Pope & Young) Wa State Mule Deer with my Bow several years ago, He is in the Wa State Book :lewis: I have killed Several Mule Deer over the Years, i am no Stranger to them :)
7fu215s.jpg

This is a GIANT Mule Deer a Friend of mine Killed in Southern Idaho 20 something years ago, He had it Mounted, He is deceased now, I am not sure where this Head is anymore? This Buck belongs in The “Idaho’s Greatest Mule Deer” Book.
AQN517s.jpg

And this is a Nice Blacktail Buck from the Wa Coast. Antler wise, They look IDENTICAL to Mule Deer, But don’t get near as Big. Like i said earlier, i grew up hunting these, Cut my Teeth on Blacktail :lewis: I have Killed several of these over the Years as well
AXswD6o.jpg

This is my best Whitetail so far, These guy’s are my ABSOLUTE favorite of 3 Species to Hunt. Whitetail are INCREDIBLY Smart Deer, it’s not even fair to Compare them against the others, Mule Deer and Blacktail are NOWHERE Near as Smart as these Guy’s
ptEUdeD.jpg

They're some beautiful bucks mate, very interesting stuff. P&Y means it was an archery shot deer? If so that's an impressive effort. I really don't know much about it, I thought WA had blacktails but no idea they had mule deer.

A friend of mine who I always consider honest did a guided elk hunt few years back in WY, winter migration hunt coming out of Yellowstone I think. He said he had the opportunity to fill his muley tag but his experience was that they were more dopey than a fallow so he declined the offer to even shoot one.

There are a small number of whitetail in NZ and the guys I know that have hunted them said they're wily buggers.

Thanks for sharing the pics and info.

A friend of mine who I always consider honest did a guided elk hunt few years back in WY, winter migration hunt coming out of Yellowstone I think. He said he had the opportunity to fill his muley tag but his experience was that they were more dopey than a fallow so he declined the offer to even shoot one.

There are a small number of whitetail in NZ and the guys I know that have hunted them said they're wily buggers.

Your friend is right :lewis: Mule Deer are nowhere near the intelligence level of Whitetail.

I enjoyed Hunting Mule Deer, they can get Big, REALLY BIG, and the BIG Bucks can carry some impressive Head Gear. If you have Snow on the Ground, and the ambition to do so, you can Track Hunt Blacktail & Mule Deer down, That is the way we hunted them in & out of Snow. Both species are Curious, and that’s your Chance to Shoot. It’s common to Spook them, they Bound off 50-100 Yards, Stop and look back to see what you are? BOOM! We Killed LOTS of Both Species that Way

Now try that same Style of Hunting on Whitetails, They will School ya!! Make you look Dumb!! You will get a Few like that, But you will wear out MANY pairs of Boots trying to Hunt these Mountain Whitetails that way. The Funny part is, Whitetails are actually EASY to Hunt, Patience is your friend here :lewis: (something i lacked most of my life :)) If you get in an Area where Whitetail are using good, Find yourself a place you can Tuck back in and Break your silhouette up, Sit down. DON’T Move around! Be patient and Watch. My Dad calls these Whitetails the “Old Mans Deer”

Your dad got a very good deer!!
those are nice ones.something in the feed or genes far as eating,can't be beat.i've shot deer oregon,wash,idaho,and a bunch of muleys. in montana.I 've always said you'll spit um all out for a idaho whitetail.

those are nice ones.something in the feed or genes far as eating,can't be beat.i've shot deer oregon,wash,idaho,and a bunch of muleys. in montana.I 've always said you'll spit um all out for a idaho whitetail.

Of all the Deer, 4 Species i have Hunted & Killed over the Years (Excluding Elk) Whitetail Deer are by far the Best Eating, in my opinion anyway, and MANY MANY Others

Congrats to your dad on a nice buck, Lewis. I agree on the taste of mule deer. I've never had one that i'd call good tasting. Mostly they taste like sage. A taste i'm not fond of. Even a high mountain buck not in the rut doesn't taste good. Not as much if any sage up above timber line and they still taste like sage to me. Maybe it's not sage at all but just how a muley taste. Even the does aren't good.

I'll just hunt for elk from what time I have left to hunt. When my Lakota friend is with me i'll shoot a mature bull or cow because he can help get the meat out. If i'm alone i'll hunt for a calf. They're about the size of a mature muley buck and I have a chance of getting all the meat out. I was told it's the best meat you'll ever eat. I guess i've finally gotten old enough to shoot a calf. I talked to the DOW and they prefer a calf is shot over a mature cow.

Congrats to your dad on a nice buck, Lewis. I agree on the taste of mule deer. I've never had one that i'd call good tasting. Mostly they taste like sage. A taste i'm not fond of. Even a high mountain buck not in the rut doesn't taste good. Not as much if any sage up above timber line and they still taste like sage to me. Maybe it's not sage at all but just how a muley taste. Even the does aren't good.

I'll just hunt for elk from what time I have left to hunt. When my Lakota friend is with me i'll shoot a mature bull or cow because he can help get the meat out. If i'm alone i'll hunt for a calf. They're about the size of a mature muley buck and I have a chance of getting all the meat out. I was told it's the best meat you'll ever eat. I guess i've finally gotten old enough to shoot a calf. I talked to the DOW and they prefer a calf is shot over a mature cow.

I was on the Fence about Shooting a Calf as well, But i went ahead and Did it with my Muzzleloader a Few Years ago in our little 6 Day Muzzleloader ONLY, Cow Elk ONLY Hunt. To be Honest, and I’m NOT trying to justify shooting a Calf, But i feel i made the Right Decision & here is Why i feel that Way.

First off a Calf Elk in December is a BIG Animal, They look a lot like the Cow when she isn’t standing right there beside it. 2nd, When you Shoot a Calf, The Cow LEAVES, She gets GONE!! She will have another Calf :lewis:

On the other Hand, When you shoot the Old Cow, The Calf will Hang around the Scene for Days on End, I have Witnessed it Several Times and it Bothered me BAD, I have Drew 3 o 4 Cow Elk Tags Here and Filled all of them. I was Deer Hunting an Area that i had Just Killed a BIG Cow in, EVERY Single Day for a Week her Calf was Right in the Area Where i had Killed It’s Mom, In all HONESTY i felt like SH&T Over that!

In Short, I would rather Kill the Calf, UNLESS i needed the Quantity of meat that only a Big Cow can Provide, But FACT is, me & my Wife Don’t need that Much Meat. Again, a Calf is a LARGE Animal, about like 2 average Mule Deer, or there close abouts? Thats PLENTY of Meat for me & my Wife. And last, The Calf will be the Best Eating Meat you ever had!!

I was on the Fence about Shooting a Calf as well, But i went ahead and Did it with my Muzzleloader a Few Years ago in our little 6 Day Muzzleloader ONLY, Cow Elk ONLY Hunt. To be Honest, and I’m NOT trying to justify shooting a Calf, But i feel i made the Right Decision & here is Why i feel that Way.

First off a Calf Elk in December is a BIG Animal, They look a lot like the Cow when she isn’t standing right there beside it. 2nd, When you Shoot a Calf, The Cow LEAVES, She gets GONE!! She will have another Calf :lewis:

On the other Hand, When you shoot the Old Cow, The Calf will Hang around the Scene for Days on End, I have Witnessed it Several Times and it Bothered me BAD, I have Drew 3 o 4 Cow Elk Tags Here and Filled all of them. I was Deer Hunting an Area that i had Just Killed a BIG Cow in, EVERY Single Day for a Week her Calf was Right in the Area Where i had Killed It’s Mom, In all HONESTY i felt like SH&T Over that!

In Short, I would rather Kill the Calf, UNLESS i needed the Quantity of meat that only a Big Cow can Provide, But FACT is, me & my Wife Don’t need that Much Meat. Again, a Calf is a LARGE Animal, about like 2 average Mule Deer, or there close abouts? Thats PLENTY of Meat for me & my Wife. And last, The Calf will be the Best Eating Meat you ever had!!
Been there ,not a good feeling.

I agree Lewis. I always tried to kill a cow without a calf but that's hard sometimes. In my early decades of elk hunting i'd only hunt for bulls but as I got older and weaker I couldn't handle a bull alone. Then the cows got too big. Now, i'm down to a calf. Mine will be smaller than yours because the hunt in in Sept. They look about like a big buck to me. It will still be a struggle with my back and knees but if I just take my time and take out small loads I think I can do it.

I have the benefit of a lot more flexibility than you guys, so I've shot different deer at all times of the year.

A red stag or fallow buck as they're stripping velvet or late winter are as good as anything else. In the rut, I mean I can handle it early on but once their juices get flowing I find it rough. A nice yearling female or spike is hard to beat though for tenderness.

In my local area over the past few years between government culling (don't start me) and a massive increase in hunter numbers the red deer population has really come down. I made the decision last year along with my brothers not to take any females for the foreseeable future.

Wonder how long that calf would last with our wolf population.not long around elk river that's for sure.Better to take calf i think.

Hey lewis what was the name of that goop you said worked so good for cleaning barrel

Latest posts

Back