My Remington 1100 shot-pattern...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
I went to the range today to pattern-out a turkey load. This boxed turkey load is 3-inch Magnum, 2 oz. shot with #4's. My Remington has a 30 inch barrel with full choke.
Here's my pattern at 25 yards
wuZwt5k.jpg

(circle is 13 inches in diameter)
and here's my pattern at 50 yards
jzFnupo.jpg

(circle is 13 inches in diameter)

Hoping to get out next week and do a little turkey hunting.🦃

I have a Primo’s Jelly head on my 11-87. I use either Remington High Velocity 3 1/2 Magnums with copper plated #4’s or the Remington Nitro’s 3 1/2 Magnums with #4 hard shot. Both loads are 2oz. The Nitro’s are a little cheaper and pattern just as well and drop em in their tracks. The combo will shoot far, but I limit my shots to 30 yards or so.

Pretty impressive pattern there Marty. Like matt I would agree you should have no problems even to 40. I use a n 870 with Remington turkey choke and now limit my shots to 40 yards. I have a fair number of misses because of misjudging distance. My friend in Maine s consistently take birds at 50 yds with his 870 however. I've seen him shoot 4 or 5 myself. He's a good shot and his gun is right on. Uses open sights. Firesight's I think.

Im about to turn 77 YO, hunted in the state of S Carolina for about 20 years and when Turkey season started down there i took up turkey hunting, killed 48(season was 5 per year at that time period) before i decided it was time to quit, sell my place down there and start hunting around home in N Carolina. Killed 2 in my home county of Lincoln then decided to entirely quit turkey hunting. Hung up my vest and calls, cleaned up the 11-87 SP, placed it in the safe. Didnt use anything but 3 inch #5 Remington mfg shells, tried others but always came back to the #5s

Im about to turn 77 YO, hunted in the state of S Carolina for about 20 years and when Turkey season started down there i took up turkey hunting, killed 48(season was 5 per year at that time period) before i decided it was time to quit, sell my place down there and start hunting around home in N Carolina. Killed 2 in my home county of Lincoln then decided to entirely quit turkey hunting. Hung up my vest and calls, cleaned up the 11-87 SP, placed it in the safe. Didnt use anything but 3 inch #5 Remington mfg shells, tried others but always came back to the #5s
Johnnyb you're to young to quit now...

All three of my Remingtons (2 - 870"s, 1 - 1100) and a Browning Highlander shoot the same pattern or close to yours Marty. All my shotguns have 18" to 22" barrels, good home defense weapons.

Nothing like a pump gun being racked at night, that gets everyone's (within hearing distance) attention .... o_O :cheers:

Last edited:
Having owned several shotguns so far, I no longer have the one I really wanted to keep. I owned a 12ga 870 for many years but eventually sold it. For one thing it was a large gun for a "little feller" like me. Another thing was that I am simply not a shotgun hunter like I was in my callow youth. But I really hated to have to sell the one that I really liked, could shoot and that was a 20ga; an SKB MXL 900 MR which could handle regular or magnum shells. I got it brand new for a steal back in the 1970s along with an elegant SKB 20ga "English" double. Sold the dbl first some time back because I could never hit anything with a double. But I could evermore shoot that 20ga 900 auto. Now my only slick bore is a 20ga flintlock, but that's all I need. I've owned and hunted with autos, doubles, bolt actions, pump actions and single shots in bores from 20ga, 16ga and 12ga. All varied among the likes of Remington, SKB, Mossberg, Winchester, LC Smith, Sears and more. But I do miss that nice SKB 900.
Only photo I have of it.
DSC00293.jpg

Although they were sometimes hard-to-find off the shelf, 5's are a good turkey shot. I usually had to re-load turkey 5's myself.

Having owned several shotguns so far, I no longer have the one I really wanted to keep. I owned a 12ga 870 for many years but eventually sold it. For one thing it was a large gun for a "little feller" like me. Another thing was that I am simply not a shotgun hunter like I was in my callow youth. But I really hated to have to sell the one that I really liked, could shoot and that was a 20ga; an SKB MXL 900 MR which could handle regular or magnum shells. I got it brand new for a steal back in the 1970s along with an elegant SKB 20ga "English" double. Sold the dbl first some time back because I could never hit anything with a double. But I could evermore shoot that 20ga 900 auto. Now my only slick bore is a 20ga flintlock, but that's all I need. I've owned and hunted with autos, doubles, bolt actions, pump actions and single shots in bores from 20ga, 16ga and 12ga. All varied among the likes of Remington, SKB, Mossberg, Winchester, LC Smith, Sears and more. But I do miss that nice SKB 900.
Only photo I have of it.
DSC00293.jpg
Although I never owned one ( and therefore never had the opportunity to reloaded it ) I was always fascinated with that " in-between" 16 gauge for the field.

In my senior years I now enjoy the recoil of an semi-auto shotgun.

Last edited:
Although I never owned one ( and therefore never had the opportunity to reloaded it ) I was always fascinated with that " in-between" 16 gauge for the field.

In my senior years I now enjoy the recoil of an auto shotgun.
I started dove hunting in the S/W as a Young man using Gramps' 16ga 870. Ever since to this day I've always had a .22 hornet, 45/70 and a 16ga. My present 16 is a Marlin 90 O/U. I've owned French, German and American made in that ga. I lament the passing of my Remington orig model 32 O/U in 16 ga. most. Mossie

H
Only photo I have of it.
DSC00293.jpg
Hanshi there is a difference between "auto" and "semi-auto". The Dems have a bad habit of miss-representing the term. That being said....a 20ga. semi-auto would be a good home self defense firearm and also a good hunting firearm for small game and fowl(grouse, ptarmigan, etc. Also herds of open range wild chickens 🤔 🤔

This year I decided to turkey hunt using a different gun from the 12 gauge Rem 870 my parents gave me on high school graduation. Worked up a load for a 20ga/60cal "Chief's Gun". Final load was 2 oz of copper plated #5 shot over 90 grains of 2fg. No cushion wad, just two over powder wads and an over shot. Patterns in this cylinder bore gun said to stay under 25 yards. Finally got a foothills Merriam to come in close enough last Thursday. Not a real trophy bird, but clearly an adult with about 4" of beard.

I must admit there were several times I wished I had the old 870 when bigger birds stayed out at 30-40 yards.....

Now I want to work up a ball load for the smoothbore flinter.

This year I decided to turkey hunt using a different gun from the 12 gauge Rem 870 my parents gave me on high school graduation. Worked up a load for a 20ga/60cal "Chief's Gun". Final load was 2 oz of copper plated #5 shot over 90 grains of 2fg. No cushion wad, just two over powder wads and an over shot. Patterns in this cylinder bore gun said to stay under 25 yards. Finally got a foothills Merriam to come in close enough last Thursday. Not a real trophy bird, but clearly an adult with about 4" of beard.

I must admit there were several times I wished I had the old 870 when bigger birds stayed out at 30-40 yards.....

Now I want to work up a ball load for the smoothbore flinter.
Can't eat the beard... a "bird-in-the-hand" is worth two in the bush when it comes to eating. Congrats on the gobbler!

H

Hanshi there is a difference between "auto" and "semi-auto". The Dems have a bad habit of miss-representing the term. That being said....a 20ga. semi-auto would be a good home self defense firearm and also a good hunting firearm for small game and fowl(grouse, ptarmigan, etc. Also herds of open range wild chickens 🤔 🤔
‐‐--------------------
p.s. I corrected my sloppy last reply. Thanks muzzleloader48 for reminding me to be clear about stating auto vs. semi-auto.;)

‐‐--------------------
p.s. I corrected my sloppy last reply. Thanks muzzleloader48 for reminding me to be clear about stating auto vs. semi-auto.;)
It is also known as an autoloader instead of automatic if I'm not mistaken.

I have a Remington 1100 that was made in 1974. It came used with a full choke barrel. I picked up a modified choke barrel for it several years ago.
I went with some friends to do bird hunting some time ago. My wife looked at the 1100 and the ammo and asked what type of shells I was bringing. "Peasant load," I said. She said, somewhat agitated, "You better mean "Pheasant load." I didn't respond. The expressions and words she then used are not suitable to show on this family site. o_O:)

‐‐--------------------
Not a problem Marty. In this day and age the gungrabbers take everything we say out of context...Happy Hunting!

It is also known as an autoloader instead of automatic if I'm not mistaken.
That is the truth, however, gun grabbers will take that out of context to mean automatic. It is a dangerous time for our freedom.

This year I decided to turkey hunt using a different gun from the 12 gauge Rem 870 my parents gave me on high school graduation. Worked up a load for a 20ga/60cal "Chief's Gun". Final load was 2 oz of copper plated #5 shot over 90 grains of 2fg. No cushion wad, just two over powder wads and an over shot. Patterns in this cylinder bore gun said to stay under 25 yards.
I have shot originals as well as custom built NW Trade Guns for over 50 years, even wrote several articles for different national magazines and a book on the subject. Was a personal friend of Charles E. Hanson, Jr for close to the same amount of time with visits to the Museum of the Fur Trade. The subject NW Trade Gun always makes me set up and listen.
I'm working on a load for a "on the Money" copy of a NW Trade Gun I had built the past years. Different than anything offered because of it's bore size; .50 caliber smoothbore using a custom barrel down sized to the spec.s of the original found in a displace years ago at the Denver Art Museum.

Interested in your load for a .60 caliber, will just lighten the load.

Side Note: The best small caliber shotgun I have ever had was my mistake. Took in a Springfield SXS in 16 ga in trade, never checked the barrel for swells. Later pulled it from the rack and saw a swell 22 inches from the breech !@#$% "Boy, screwed up on this one", pulled it from the long gun rack. This little guy sat for 6 months then one day a guy that worked for us says "Lets chop the puppy to 18.25 inch barrels". After playing with "Shorty" it bcame my truck gun, packing gun and general all around firearm when working on the farm ad well when checking fence on over 10,000 acres of the neighbors ranch. A very good rattlesnake killer with No. #5's, one hell of an attention getter for those doing or thinking about trespassing.

Worked very well for use in a fight breaking a few noses in two different disagreements (that got the local sheirff's attention which ended up with myself and one neighbor (good friend) becoming deputies). I now have kicked myself many times for selling that little Springfield.

If your shooting a traditional weapon go to: What are you shooting for a load for a traditional smoothbore ???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back