Nationals at Friendship

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 275gr Parker is very forgiving when it comes to accuracy. At the previous match, Mark or Mike Miller (forgot) shot them using a Mountaineer 45 1-30 twist with 83gr by weight of BH209. I would likely trade 30 275s for some 300gr BEs if you need some. I haven't tried any 300gr BEs yet

They probably wont hang with the E-MAX 270gr as the distances get longer though. Both should be .451 unless you have some older .4505 BEs like mine. An adjustable sizing die is a huge help and worth every penny regardless of which one you want to shoot.

1874sharpsshooter said:
Are the 275 parkers better in the old 1:20 knights? Or the 300?
Do the new 270 emax shoot good if sized to a disc 1:20?

I would recommend 270 emax but under300 yds 275 BE are extremely accurate. Of the 3 weights offered the 275 seems to be most versatile

ENCORE50A said:
GM54-120 said:
Great shooting guys!!! :partyman:

Top ten were all 45cals?.....What no Ultimate Firearms in the top ten? :p

I couldn't make the shoot.......... :poke:

UF needs to build a 45cal to remove the weak link (sabots) during warmer temps and timed events. Full bore 50cal projectiles will have a huge disadvantage such as extreme weight to achieve a reasonable BC.

Don't think that sabots will not work at 500.
Took this photo of Bob a few years ago when he shot the mini-creedmoor match (15 shots in 45 min) with a 400gr sabot in a 1:28 50cal. His group is not all center white, but with the wind it's still impressive. You can see his elevation is within the white. I know when Greg and I shot the mini sxs two weeks ago it was ideal wind conditions.

Attachments

• 2013 June Bob creedmoor.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 831
Im fairly sure sabots can shoot but barrel heat is a basically a non issue with sabotless.

This is a 300gr MH shot by another forum member at 300 yards using a 5lb NULA rifle like mine. 50cal 1-32 Douglas barrel.

DSCF4096_zps82016fa0.jpg

From experience, I can tell you its one thing to shoot off a sled or just off the shoulder with a front rest only. From experience, I can also tell you that when you step up to the line in a match or comp, things are much different than shooting at home or locally on the range. If possible, everyone should attend at least once. My hat's off to the Bestill Gunners and also those other high scoring shooters, it takes dedication and steady nerves and a lot of confidence.

3-shots....... 300yds....... with sabots

Comparing the WM bullet with the common SST at 300yds.... with sabots

With Sabots also...........

GM54-120 said:
ENCORE50A said:
GM54-120 said:
Great shooting guys!!! :partyman:

Top ten were all 45cals?.....What no Ultimate Firearms in the top ten? :p

I couldn't make the shoot.......... :poke:

UF needs to build a 45cal to remove the weak link (sabots) during warmer temps and timed events. Full bore 50cal projectiles will have a huge disadvantage such as extreme weight to achieve a reasonable BC.

I don't believe that Ken Johnston will be building .45's. Ken is 76 and although still building Ultimate rifles and his new .450 Game Breaker rifles, Ken's not to far from retirement. I know he doesn't want to slow down, but age and health catches up with all of us.

The guy that helped me at the Friendship shoot was holding a magnetic clip board when we were shooting the 300m pigs. It had warmed up and of course being my first shoot, I loaded and shot faster than most, even though I tried my best to slow down. Each time I shot a pig, Steve would put a magnet on a pig outline on the clip board. Shot 1... dead center Shot 2.... higher Shot 3.... about 1" from going over the top. I looked over that before shooting 4 and 5 and tried to adjust for the barrel warming. I missed the last 2 pigs costing me 4 points and the same with the chickens at 200m.

So I have to somewhat agree that the sabot "can" be a problem with warmer temps. However in the case of the shooters who took much more time, more experienced and were not as intimidated, those guys shot well shooting sabots in the May match. In my case, when I had 30 minutes to shoot the relay, I completed it one of them in only 17 minutes. But then again, I'm also shooting pellets from a rifle designed to shoot pellets, a far cry from being able to weigh charges exact.

Agg Z is offhand match at 25 ,50,100 yds.
And id say it was marsh's shooting ultimates. And believe me they are fine offhand trigger pullers for sure.

Not heard of AGG Z for in-lines, but from what bestill stated it sounded like a RB match (distances) - same description as AGG U, only difference is U is flint or percussion, open sights and no sighters. AGG Z is any rifle (unlimited) with scope and again offhand.
I still had the program, here's the match.

Attachments

• AGG Z.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 471
52Bore said:
Not heard of AGG Z for in-lines, but from what bestill stated it sounded like a RB match (distances) - same description as AGG U, only difference is U is flint or percussion, open sights and no sighters. AGG Z is any rifle (unlimited) with scope and again offhand.
I still had the program, here's the match.

That must be it, AGG Z - Any rifle and off hand.

Agg. Z is correct but Ultimate rifle has dominated the Agg. being in hands of the Marsh Boys. They can shoot groups Offhand that most can't do from bench

I'll have to agree, congratulations to all. I was able to watch some of the activities at the inline range, and I was impressed with the shooter/rifle abilities to be able to consistently hit those targets at 300m. Good job.

Squeeze said:
I saw in the first one it was production rifles only http://www.thegunmag.com/nmlra-hosts-inline-ml-match-at-100-200-and-300-yard-ranges/ what is it now? any custom build? Is there a caliber restriction now? I see where white had some good luck with (i think) .38 and I know of at least one in .367 bore. Whats the regs now?

Basically identical. More shooters are using .45 rifles now. Points evidently changed on the steel targets, which were only 2 pts each this past May. Custom built rifles are being shot and I'm sure Bestill will chime in on his/theirs. Propellant MUST BE... BP or BP substitute and NOT smokeless. No rear rest or bag...

Those boys shoot'n smokeless may have the opportunity to shoot at Friendship, if they don't ruin it themselves before it even gets off the ground.........

This is a great read! It shows where we are in 2015 and where we are trending. Big difference between hunting loads /rifles and national match shooting.

ENCORE50A said:
Squeeze said:
I saw in the first one it was production rifles only http://www.thegunmag.com/nmlra-hosts-inline-ml-match-at-100-200-and-300-yard-ranges/ what is it now? any custom build? Is there a caliber restriction now? I see where white had some good luck with (i think) .38 and I know of at least one in .367 bore. Whats the regs now?

Basically identical. More shooters are using .45 rifles now. Points evidently changed on the steel targets, which were only 2 pts each this past May. Custom built rifles are being shot and I'm sure Bestill will chime in on his/theirs. Propellant MUST BE... BP or BP substitute and NOT smokeless. No rear rest or bag...

This article that Jim F. wrote about the first in-line match is slightly incorrect. The May In-Line match has always been 'any in-line'.
I noticed in June that the program p.12, AGG IH states 'any production in-line muzzleloader'. I still have the program and it's probably still on the NMLRA website. Bob and I talked about it and he's not sure why it's written that way. We assume because it was an 'NRA' sanctioned match, that they may have made this request. Neither of us care, but wording could cause issues with other matches as well..

No caliber restriction because: in the June & September National shoots - center of bullet is measured. May In-line match is NRA rules of cutting the line.

Points changed because after the 1st match there were multiple request to adjust the format. 10pt on an animal was like a miss on paper - which we felt was pretty substantial - hard to do on paper. The 50yd target has changed as well with the smaller x-ring.
I didn't win my silhouette request as I've never seen benches on the silhouette LR line since it started in the early 90's.. don't think benches should be there - especially since this is a hunters match.

I hope this helps.

Not sure why the 'Basically identical' paragraph from Encore is not highlighted? It picked up Squeeze wrote.

The 50yd target change came from the request of the Rifle Committee- it did make since.

Latest posts

Back