Navy Arms 2 Band Enfield-- turned Zouave

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cook and Brother web site says twist rate is 1:48 just for your information.

A Tale of Two Minie's---

I picked up a second mold for the Zouave.

The first was the Lee Original Minie. .575 at 500gr. It loaded easy and gave me good targets at 100yards.
The second is the Lee Improved Minie. .578 at 478gr. Being thicker it loaded snug about like a patched ball but easy enough. It should have engaged the rifling better. Don't know why they call it "Improved" At the same 100 yards not one out of the five even hit the 20" frame!

Off the back wall at 250 yards I picked a small bush as a target. The original fell in a vertical line above and below the mark with little side to side difference.

The "Improved" was WILD. Wide by 6'-8'. All had the same load.

<a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> is the Original at 100yards.Last 5 in the nine ring.
Attached Thumbnails
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

---

90% done. This has been fun. Still need to touch up a few scratches in the blueing and trim the butt plate at the toe. The finish is 3 coats of Tru-Oil rubbed out with 0000 steel wool then "Loved" with old flannel . When it's all done it will get another coat of oil.

Did a lot of work on the bore. Most of the marks are gone.   From what I read Zoli made some of the better bores back in the day. Before polishing, once I found the range and paper I put the last 5 in the 9 ring at 100 yards.  Should be even better now ---  if MY eyes and nerves are having a good day. Old man stuff.

Now I am thinking about selling it to fund another. I have a old Juker Kentucky that is up next. That I will keep.
modify_inline.gif
index.php

Zouave after 005.JPG (546.03 kB, 1200x900 - viewed 1 times.)
index.php

Zouave after 004.JPG (604.29 kB, 1200x900 - viewed 1 times.)
index.php

Back