Navy Arms Nipple Thread Pitch?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Anyone know the thread pitch? The Musket nipple in this NA Hawken Hunter is HUGE, I hope BACO carries these, or at least can get them for me.

Here it is compared to a TC 1/4X28
KBzzFNI.jpg

I don't like Musket caps - just too much 'stuff' on the rifle.
You might consider a #11 top nipple with those threads. I just made one for my new AH Volunteer rifle, those threads were 5/16-18.

52Bore said:
I don't like Musket caps - just too much 'stuff' on the rifle.
You might consider a #11 top nipple with those threads. I just made one for my new AH Volunteer rifle, those threads were 5/16-18.

I agree on the Musket Caps, Plus it is harder to get the good ones around here anyway, Lots of the CCi Re-enactment Musket caps, But none of the Good German brand RWS 1081, They just aren’t popular around here. I have been told MANY times, and read it more, that their wasn’t much, to Any gain with Musket caps vs The Magnum 11s Like the RWS 1075 ‘Plus’ I was over at Buffalo Arms this morning and seen i could get the Treso/Ampco 5/16X24 nipple for No. 11 Caps, they were out of them But that is exactly what i am gonna do!

Lewis
Sportsmans Warehouse in Spokane usually has the RWS musket caps in stock. I have used them and like them. Easier to handle compared to the #11 caps. I keep both on hand.

shguns said:
Lewis
Sportsmans Warehouse in Spokane usually has the RWS musket caps in stock. I have used them and like them. Easier to handle compared to the #11 caps. I keep both on hand.

What is the price difference in the RWS 1075 (No. 11s, Actually 10-3/4) and The RWS 1081 Musket Caps? I do like handling the larger Musket caps better, makes it a bit more handy for sure! The little No. 11s can be tricky to handle with cold fingers!

I will check prices later today and let you know. Both are,expensive compared to American brands.

shguns said:
I will check prices later today and let you know. Both are,expensive compared to American brands.

I appreciate it! We don’t get to Spokane very often, but do now n then.

I can get the CCi Magnum No. 11s for 5 bucks a 100, They are really good caps, I can’t tell a difference in these CCi Magnums VS the RWS 1075s? If there’s a difference it’s very small. The RWS 1075s cost Twice as much, sometimes a little more than Twice as much as The CCi Magnums, Local sport shop here is 12-13 bucks a 100 for the RWS 1075s. I have 1 old box of the RWS 1081 Musket caps that must be at least 10 years old with a price take of 14.99 on them, I’m sure my dad bought them here from the Local sport shop. As much as i shoot these are WAAAAAY to expensive! The CCi Magnums at 5 bucks are the way for me to go. But i do like the RWS 1075s (10-3/4) for nipple fit, Hunting. I will always keep some around for hunting, but to spendy for the amount of Target shooting i do.

Got caught in a meeting at work that went late into afternoon so I didn't get over there. Bit it is a block away from my office so I'll make it there tomorrow.

shguns said:
Got caught in a meeting at work that went late into afternoon so I didn't get over there. Bit it is a block away from my office so I'll make it there tomorrow.

How far away is Sportsman Warehouse from the Kaiser Aluminum plant? I have never been to the Sportsman warehouse in Spokane? Heck I haven’t been to 1 in years. Here we use North 40, and when i get down to Coeur d'Alene i go to BlackSheep

It is on North division north of francis ave. probably only 2 - 3 miles from the old Kaiser mead works site
They have one container of RWS musket caps #1081 on the shelf, they have 200 caps per container - $21.99
They have 23 containers of RWS 1075+ percussion caps with 100 per container - $10.99 per container. so about the same price per cap as musket caps.
They have CCI caps in size #11 and #11 magnum for $5.99 per hundred, plenty in stock.
Let me know if I can help you if your headed this way.
Scott

shguns said:
It is on North division north of francis ave. probably only 2 - 3 miles from the old Kaiser mead works site
They have one container of RWS musket caps #1081 on the shelf, they have 200 caps per container - $21.99
They have 23 containers of RWS 1075+ percussion caps with 100 per container - $10.99 per container. so about the same price per cap as musket caps.
They have CCI caps in size #11 and #11 magnum for $5.99 per hundred, plenty in stock.
Let me know if I can help you if your headed this way.
Scott

Thank you Scott, I appreciate it! That is better priced than anywhere around here, Nobody carries the Good RWS 1081 Musket caps anywhere close by, i just ordered 2 Treso/Ampco 5/16-24 No. 11 nipples, i have at least 2 Cases of good No. 11 Magnum Caps, So makes better sense for me stick with the 11s, Tho i can see me swapping over to Musket right before hunting season :yeah:

biggest advantage to musket caps over magnum #11 caps is the fact you don't have to mess with the tiny little suckers, they are a pain in the posterior to load in a capper or do it by hand. Musket caps are so much easier.

dbowling said:
biggest advantage to musket caps over magnum #11 caps is the fact you don't have to mess with the tiny little suckers, they are a pain in the posterior to load in a capper or do it by hand. Musket caps are so much easier.

FULLY agree!! I think the Musket Caps would be about as good as it gets for hunting, and is probably what i will end up doing. From my Target Bench I don’t mind the little 11s, i can get them fairly cheap here, And the Magnum version CCi 11s are HOT, PLENTY Hot. As much as i shoot, the Musket Caps would get really spendy. For each shot i use 2 caps for sure, and sometimes 3, I would rather burn these cheaper 11s up than the high dollar musket caps.

Latest posts

Back