Need help, any knowledgable Knight folks on here?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
Used to own a Knight Disc Extreme. Positively loved that rifle. I ruined the barrel during a nasty wet hunt because I was not able to clean it soon enough. So in the last couple or three years I've been searching for a replacement. Nothing really measures up to what that Knight was. Thought the Savage ML-10 II would satisfy my needs. Well I must of got a lemon because I'm very unhappy with it. It will be heading back to Savage soon. So I want another Knight. Here's my questions-

1. How do the new production Knights compare to the older ones? Accuracy, fit/finish, etc?

2. My Knight had a SOLID synthetic stock. Was stiff as heck. What sort of a synthetic stock do the new Extremes, Bighorns, and Mountaineers have? Hollow tupperware or good stiff, solid, strong synthetics?

3. What excatly is the difference between the Mountaineer and the Extreme?

Thanks!

edit- I did call Knight this morning and though the CS lady was very nice and helpfull and so was the fellow she transfered me to, I'm leery of the responce I got when I asked them about the construction of the synthetic stocks currently being made.

Used to own a Knight Disc Extreme. Positively loved that rifle. I ruined the barrel during a nasty wet hunt because I was not able to clean it soon enough. So in the last couple or three years I've been searching for a replacement. Nothing really measures up to what that Knight was. Thought the Savage ML-10 II would satisfy my needs. Well I must of got a lemon because I'm very unhappy with it. It will be heading back to Savage soon. So I want another Knight. Here's my questions-

1. How do the new production Knights compare to the older ones? Accuracy, fit/finish, etc?

I believe they are very close to what they use to be if not a tad better.

2. My Knight had a SOLID synthetic stock. Was stiff as heck. What sort of a synthetic stock do the new Extremes, Bighorns, and Mountaineers have? Hollow tupperware or good stiff, solid, strong synthetics?

Same stocks as they used to have only a different outside texture. They are a solid composite.

3. What excatly is the difference between the Mountaineer and the Extreme?

The Mountaineer is built to tighter tolerances. The barrel is fluted and 1" longer than the older barrels or current Extreme. The bolt is diffeent in that the bare primer slides into rails on the face of the bolt for insertion and extraction. The Mountaineer comes with a wood laminate stock + recently you can order it with a composite stock.

Thanks!

edit- I did call Knight this morning and though the CS lady was very nice and helpfull and so was the fellow she transfered me to, I'm leery of the responce I got when I asked them about the construction of the synthetic stocks currently being made.

The reason why I'm really curious about the construction of the synthetic stocks is this-

I called Knight back when they were not producing rifles but were handling parts/warranty issues to see if I could buy a replacement barreled action for my old Extreme. They sent me one but it would not fit right in my old stock. so they said that they would exchange stocks if I wanted a thumbhole (they did not have a straight stock). Well for what ever reason the new barreled action rocked back and forth in this thumbhole stock and it was not useable (don't know if it was 'second' or what) so I sent it back. However I do remember that the plastic was different and it had a hollow butt stock and a very flexible fore-end. This is why I'm trying to find out excatly what type of a synthetic stock is being used on the new Knights. I DON'T want a tupperware stock but would be happy with a stock like the old solid stiff synthetics that were made before they went under, were sold or whatever it was that happened to them.

JimG said:
The reason why I'm really curious about the construction of the synthetic stocks is this-

I called Knight back when they were not producing rifles but were handling parts/warranty issues to see if I could buy a replacement barreled action for my old Extreme. They sent me one but it would not fit right in my old stock. so they said that they would exchange stocks if I wanted a thumbhole (they did not have a straight stock). Well for what ever reason the new barreled action rocked back and forth in this thumbhole stock and it was not useable (don't know if it was 'second' or what) so I sent it back. However I do remember that the plastic was different and it had a hollow butt stock and a very flexible fore-end. This is why I'm trying to find out excatly what type of a synthetic stock is being used on the new Knights. I DON'T want a tupperware stock but would be happy with a stock like the old solid stiff synthetics that were made before they went under, were sold or whatever it was that happened to them.

I have 2 knew stocks from Knight and they are built just as they were in the past. It is not hollow and the forearm don't move very easily at all. Some older Knight stock will not interchange with all Knight DISC's becasue of the diferent recoil lugs on the Extreme and the Elite. Same for the barrel channel - they are not all the same again because of a contoured barrel of the Elite and the less contoured barrel of the Extreme.

jim,
do you still have your old disc? Numrich has new ss 50 cal extreeme barrel assemblies for 200 bucks, in the old days a disc was a disc was a disc, all the parts interchange, dang it all I'm gonna miss this place

No, a fellow I knew wanted all my Knight stuff including the Extreme with the ruined barrel (he knew all about it) as he had a couple Knights himself and wanted the stock off of mine and some of Knight accessories I had. Paid me more than he should of for the Extreme, but he had to have had.

Knight

Have you checked the classifieds cause ronlaughlin had a Mountaineer for sale in there. An Elite just showed up there as well.

good price on that elite, but for the time being I've got enough toys

Does the Mountaineer have the forked lug the Disc Elites had? Does the Disc Extreme have the retangle 'plain' lug or has it been updated to a different design like the forked lug or similar? Trying to figure out if I need the 'extras' the Mountaineer may or may not have over the Extreme.

JimG said:
Does the Mountaineer have the forked lug the Disc Elites had? Does the Disc Extreme have the retangle 'plain' lug or has it been updated to a different design like the forked lug or similar? Trying to figure out if I need the 'extras' the Mountaineer may or may not have over the Extreme.

The Mountaineer does have the forked recoil lug and the Extreme has the normal squared lug.

The Extreme has the regular traditional Knight bolt the the Mountaineer comes wtih either the traditional or the new NFPJ bolt that allows loading on the 209 primer in the face of the of the bolt.

Originally the Mountaineer came with only a laminated wood stock now it can be ordered with a composite.

All things considered equal, would the typical Mountaineer be considerably more accurate than the typical Extreme or is it a case of splitting hairs?

JimG said:
All things considered equal, would the typical Mountaineer be considerably more accurate than the typical Extreme or is it a case of splitting hairs?

All things considered... probably splitting hairs

Latest posts

Back