NEED YOUR HELP - PLEASE READ, THANK YOU

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
img2.jpg
Hey members (males and females),

Jonathan and myself are running out of subjects to provide you with and a good safe place to hangout at. 

Your input would really help keep this form going and growing (think we are running out of "Topic" lines). If you have something you want to know, have an idea, or have a question, I'm sure we can help you get the correct answer your looking for.   :study:

Help us grow bigger than we are, I'm sure there's unanswered questions, subjects your interested in and would like to share. Jonathan is always open for suggestions on different subject headers as we have all seen grown over the years.  :)

Let's put our old gray matter to work and come up with different ideas to kick around.    :shock: 

Thank you folks for your time, we'll talk later as we need to answer your ideas. Buck and Jonathan.  :Red tup:

I'm searching for "Subject Categories" we have for resources, modern and period articles, links, and information that would be helpful for you folks to use. 
waugh.jpg

CURRENT SUBJECT DEPARTMENTS (maybe we need to rethink these, try and group Topics Headers under the same Subject Title)?

What are we missing?  :scratch:    :study:

if you put religion and political areas, they will come but do you really want that? paperpatching is always a interesting subject to many, keep it in one catagory, no matter what kind of rifle it goes into. wheel guns ,anykind, any year made, questions and answers. black power cartridge section, long range shooting. discussion on same.

Sports, religion and political remarks are good for big time problems with folks getting upset with each other, that's a NO.   :thumb down:   :pete slap:

Been a lot of wars fought over religion and politics.  Don't know about the sports angle but this isn't a football forum is it?

If you have ever lived in one of the major sports teams cities: football, baseball, hockey or basketball and make an off the walk remarks about one of their teams. 
"Cadee bar the door", you just started a war.   :affraid:

I lived in Philadelphia, St. Louis and Denver, I'm sure others have experienced the same.   :slaps:   :Bat:   :Scucks:  :no:

ok here is what i think this site is all about. it may be all wrong so forgive me if it is. first i love the idea it is a peaceful site and even has more tolerance for the occasional off colored words said. that is very  good for this site. cnat express enough thanks for that. now for what the image of this site is. its all about cva guns.

if your not into cva guns than input doesnt go anywheres here at all. i left cva guns way way behind many many years ago and have no use for them any more, flinters, percussion or modern. built three when they came with american made barrels with the right twists for the cal. they no longer do that, so have no use for them. as to inlines, built a modern inline off of a douglas barrel. way better than any cva ever made.

i dont know if cva pays this site to push cva products or not. if they do then be content with what the site is. a cva site. also it also seems if your not a flinter your input isnt encouraged also. if that is so then be content with what you have in this site. you are good guys, both of you but be content if your all cva. i have a lot of knowledge on round ball and patching it as well as cast bullet and paperpatched shooting. its of no use here as it isnt encouraged.

all that is encouraged here is 1/28 twist cva or 1/48 twist cva. if any one wants to really learn exteme accuracy out as far as you can see then this site has to move beyond that cva stuff. they are a starter gun and thats all they are. thanks for the question and thats my input. i no longer contribute to any muzzleloader qusetions because no one wants to move beyond cva type questions.

Strong Eagle, at one point I did a lot of work on the CVA guns, so I can see where you think this site is all about CVA.

This site actually started up as a hang out for Powerbelt shooters. I got sick and tired of the guys that used these bullets from getting harassed by other folks on the other forums, So I started my own forum as a safe hang out where people shooting cva and powerbelts had a laid back place to chat without being constantly attacked and called stupid for shooting this or that.

Over the past year, maybe 2 years, the forum has shifted huge over to traditional muzzleloading. Guys that were shooting inlines, then started coming over here saying.... hey... I just picked up this sidelock, how do I shoot it? What do I need? It was a huge welcoming in my eyes! I love traditional muzzleloading and the more we have, the better we are off on this site.

I used to shoot the living hell out of inlines but after a while, I lost interest as it got boring and quite frankly, a plain piece of beechwood on my traditions sidelock is still prettier than camo plastic. :lol:

There are no paid advertisers on this site currently. I have many favorites places I shop and have dealt with, so I run ads for our members to go to and buy from. Muzzle-Loaders.com for example I love as they have an educated customer service and will back up the product they sell you, should there be an issue. I have even discussed with them, in the past, about offering a 10% discount to our members here.

Its been a long while since our last Modern Muzzleloader post on here, which IMO, I wish we would see more of. But if they've switched to traditional muzzleloader.... Hey, I will take that!

Respond to questions when you feel you can be helpful and offer something more.

as for powerbelts, they are easy to load and very accurate. dont see why anyone would knock them. ill try posting info again and see if anyone responds. as to beech. the best stain for it is leather dye. much better than any wood commercial dye. soak it in really good. let it dry then wash off with water and let dry again. after that any type of oil finish will look a lot better. most people dont rub out their final finish properly. HUTS plastic polish on pure cotton brings out a deep luster that is hard to beat.

I looked around at some forums and sites that list topics that may be of interest to people on Frontier Muzzleloading. Here is the list:

Stories and Tall Tales

Humor

Gunsmithing Muzzleloaders

Solving Problems with Muzzleloaders

Period Dressing for Muzzleloading Activities – Help and Discussions

Powder Horns – Photos, Use and Building

Muzzleloading Shows and Rendezvous (We do have an “Announcement and Events” section that includes this topic)

Historical Articles and Discussion

Muzzleloader and Black Powder Books

Recommended Links

Charts and References

Tutorials

Ron

strong eagle said:
..... now for what the image of this site is. its all about cva guns.

if your not into cva guns than input doesnt go anywheres here at all. ....

i dont know if cva pays this site to push cva products or not. ...

all that is encouraged here is 1/28 twist cva or 1/48 twist cva. if any one wants to really learn exteme accuracy out ....
Everything you have mentioned from what is shown is wrong. Just about every manufacturer out there for muzzleloader (traditional and in-line) has had discussions on their wares. You want to talk about being one sided, your remarks on this one strong eagle was just that.

Jonathan explained that very clearly in his remark.

Ron C you have some interesting subject titles that need to be considered over some we have now. Maybe a little moving around on some items to make finding a talked about subject a little easier. I know when you write something then want to go back to add additional thoughts, I find myself spending a lot of time trying to find what I wrote a few day earlier?

Strong Eagle, Jonathan, RonC thank you guys and eveyone for your input (you guys really help to keep things moving in an orderly direction).   :Red tup:

FrontierGander said:
...quite frankly, a plain piece of beechwood on my traditions sidelock is still prettier than camo plastic. :lol:
This captures what I think. And, I would add, the feel of wood and metal beats the dickens out of the poly-poly-I-wanna-really-shoot-a-tactical-black ops gun every time. ;)

Strongeagle, I was a little surprised at the CVA opinion, but I guess it depends on which portions of this site you read. I thought it was the GRRW & GRRW CA show. 
:joker::joker::joker: 

Seriously, I have written about 15 rifles, shotguns, and pistols here in the last couple of years. They were Colt, Remington, CVA, GRRW CA, Hatfield, Enfield, Mosin Nagant, Browning, Huntsman, Sig, Glock, Garand, & Pendersoli. I wrote about what I was using at the time or what I thought others might be interested in. If I wrote about one gun more than any other, it was likely the GRRW CA or the Browning. 348 lever action. I had not noticed a 'lean' toward any one brand. We are pretty greedy and get drooling about a lot of different guns.

I like to read about what folks are doing. Events, builds, travel, places, people-actually hunting and fishing and using stuff.

What I have valued about this place is that it reminds me of the local barbershop my Dad used to take me to as a kid. There would be a bunch of hunting and fishing magazines everywhere. The shop was full of guys swapping stories and advice. The barber had a couple of standing gun cases in the back and he would sell them to his customers. YOU COULD ASK ABOUT ANYTHING... and people who knew (or, thought they did) would chime right in and folks would hash it out. Oh, yeah... and, you got a hair cut, too. 

Here, I have found a couple of mentors and can always ask. I find that really valuable. Me, I try to provide the occasional entertainment. ( :

I shoot only traditional black powder firearms and this site has been a Cornucopia of help and ideas for me.
I never have fired an inline rifle. That doesn't make me better than anyone else. I count on genetics to do that. :D (Okay, that is meant to be a joke!)
Like the Colonel, I have found Mentors here. Here is one of my Mentors:
minota10.jpg

Ron

RonC said:
 I have found Mentors here. Here is one of my Mentors:

minota10.jpg

Ron
WOW 'It's one of the "Strong Bull Clan".....   :Hide:  they are the baddest, look how he can turn his left hand ....  That's like saying "Come and get some".

And... Some of them Mentor/Minotaurs are sometimes full of bull. :roll: But, they are not generally dull. 8)
As they say, "In my family, we don't hide crazy. We sit it out on the front porch and serve it a lemonade.:D

My next venture is likely to involve a replacement lock for my (Sorry, Strongeagle) 30 year old CVA, making my first knife, or making my first possibles bag (I have not forgotten BrownBear!). I will likely write about one of these when that happens. Life is keeping me hopping so I don't know when that will be. 

OH! I will be running my first Spartan Run in a few weeks at Ft. Knox. This is a marathon with obstacles; rope climbs, walls, spear tosses, fire hurdles, etc. I have dropped 30 lbs and 6-7 inches at my waist. I'm still fat and ugly, but I have been cycling hundreds of miles and training. I don't know how I will do. I have never run any kind of marathon. (Yes. I am asking for prayers.) Is this an adventure you would like to hear about? I may fail.

I wish you the best on your "Run." Looks challenging.
You have my respect for your dramatic improvement. In fact, I am envious of your progress. Although I exercise regularly, my cardio conditioning still lags and my struggle with excess weight is still a ...struggle.
Ron

Personally politics and religion would be poison and would open an ugly can of worms. Plenty of other sites to discuss those subjects. 
     I like the laid back and the occasional off colour remarks.  You seem to have a good coverage of subjects here as it is. 

Cheers 

Gordon

you nailed it, dont feel like big brother or some one like that is watching me here. thanks

strong eagle said:
you nailed it, dont feel like big brother or some one like that is watching me here. thanks
Isn't that the truth. I have the NSA watch dogs about a 1/2 mile from my house (guarded 7 X 24), they have Camp Williams National Guard across the street (cannon boys) and now building a very large building that's going to house the CIA - all of them together with in a rock throw ....

NSA, CIA, National Guard - maybe they are trying to tell you something, Buck. :D

I am on a forum for another hobby. Every time politics or religion comes up in a thread, the posts become argumentative, contentious, confrontational and ultimately the thread explodes. Every time! Each poster's opinion becomes the only correct opinion, at least to the purveyor of that opinion.

Minds clam shut tighter than a gun safe's door. Arguments turn into bumper sticker slogans. Then the moderator terminates the thread.

Let's just stick to discussions about serious life issues like whether Hanes or Fruit-of-the-Loom boxer briefs are better.
Ron

Latest posts

Back