Needing motivation.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhinoDave

Reaction score
Still trying to convince myself to put in a small garden. Still have lots of tomatoes left from last season as well as several jars of pickles and jalapeno peppers. Ended up giving away several squashes and once again failed to grow any radishes or carrots. My gardening skills are limited to going to the farm market.

put something in, even if it is in the south side of the house flower bed. it is fun to watch it grow and to eat from it.

Some years it works out and some it doesn't, but it is fun playing in the dirt.

RhinoDave said:
 Ended up giving away several squashes and once again failed to grow any radishes or carrots. My gardening skills are limited to going to the farm market.
 I thought radishes grew themselves. I just throw some seed down a small row, lightly cover them and water. In just a few days they're up and they're ready to eat in less than a month.
Maybe you're planting them too deep.  :Questuon:

patocazador said:
RhinoDave said:
 Ended up giving away several squashes and once again failed to grow any radishes or carrots. My gardening skills are limited to going to the farm market.
 I thought radishes grew themselves. I just throw some seed down a small row, lightly cover them and water. In just a few days they're up and they're ready to eat in less than a month.
Maybe you're planting them too deep.  :Questuon:
Maybe in your world they grow themselves but in my yard they put all their energy into growing nice bushy green tops and zero roots. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled up a nice large stalk and looked at a tiny shriveled little radish. Just not worth the effort anymore.

Don't use fertilizer in the beginning. Sparingly use some potash (K)-heavy fertilizer after 2 1/2 weeks. 
Too much nitrogen makes the tops grow at the expense of the roots. The potash will put some heat into your radishes .. and peppers.

listen to the above. do not use fertilizer with radishes. they just go to plants then. poorer loose soil, plant early. also try the long white oriental radishes, they are more tolerant of good soil, later to harvest but very good to eat.

Back