New .54 Cal TC Maxi “Hunter” Mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I recently ran across this .54 Cal TC Maxi Hunter Mold Brand new in it’s Package, I Had to have it 👍 I got it for a Very Reasonable price.

7376 is the .54 Cal
GPY5u4yl.jpg

3JgBq9nl.jpg

Cast of Pure Lead
aIRSvtWl.jpg

6gcl8Ysl.jpg

It Casts a REALLY Nice Bullet 👍
RG5S0fpl.jpg

The above New .54 Cal TC Maxi “Hunter” Mold is a Good Companion to my .45 Cal, The .45 Cals seem to be MUCH Harder to Find, I have only see a Couple of them. Again, i got a REALLY Good deal on this one, Brand New in the Package

Here is my 7374 .45 Cal before i pulled it from the Package
WMmmdUul.jpg

This is kinda neat, Back of the TC Mold Packaging shows the Mold Numbers
jJ7uFqTl.jpg

7ZvilUFl.jpg

This .45 Cal Maxi “Hunter” Mold Casts a VERY Nice Bullet as Well 👍
pOiuD1vl.jpg

Beautiful bullets Idaholewis. What is the mold made of...steel or aluminum?

Nice score there Lewis! And from our text messages last week...I do believe that is the mold I was talking about!! It went to a good home.

I am almost positive it is, that’s why i asked ya :) These Maxi “Hunter” Molds are Getting Harder to find, and they usually Bring a PREMIUM when you do see them For Sale. The TC Maxi “Ball” Molds are not difficult to find, i see them on a Fairly Regular basis. Lyman makes a Maxi Ball Mold that is literally identical in Bullet Design to TC’s, Except the Lyman is a Steel Mold, Which i feel to be FAR SUPERIOR to the Aluminum TC Molds.

I would like to Find a .50 Cal TC Maxi “Hunter” Mold, I had a Brand new one a few years ago and let it go, i wish i had that Mold Back now! I see 1 on Ebay for a Ridiculous Figure, I’m not gonna pay that kind of money for one, Especially used

Sweet looking mold and great looking bullets as usual Mr Lewis
Those should shoot lights out for ya. I have killed several deer with the 350gr 50cal and only had 1 that ever ran on me after being shot but it only made it about 30yds before it took a dirt nap. The Maxi Hunter's are great conicals. Can't wait to see you post a video on theses. I

very nice! I wonder how much of an impact that slight hollow dish will have on game?

I would think it to be beneficial? My bet is Similar to a Wide Meplat in Performance. You describe it perfectly here “Slight Hollow Dish” I see folks refer to the Maxi “Hunter” as a Hollow Point, But i wouldn’t call them that, They are Only about a 1/4 of a BB Size Dish in Depth is all.

Some Talk Hollow Point Lead Conical Bullets Down, Claiming them to be a Poor Choice as a BIG Game Bullet, And i fully admit that i am GUILTY of doing it as well. My reasoning? When i think of a Hollow Point Bullet My Thought Process Immediately goes to Pistol, Self Defense, With Many of them Designs intended to RAPIDLY Open, and Even Blow Apart/Fragment, Which Goes against EVERYTHING I was taught to be a Good Big Game Bullet

After a Lot of time spent with these Muzzleloaders, and Lead Conicals, My Thinking toward Hollow Points is COMPLETELY Different Now Days. A guy has to Remember, Our Muzzleloaders are NOT Speed Demons, they are NOWHERE near Cartridge Guns in Velocity. 1,500 Fps with a 450 Grain Lead Bullet is about MAX of what you can Expect to get with STOUT, UPPER end Loads, The Average will Be 1,300-1,400 Fps. At these Blackpowder Muzzleloader Velocities, a Hollow Point Lead Conical is NOT gonna Blow Apart/Fragment, They will Roll Back and Form a BIG MUSHROOM Ball. I have collected MANY of them From Sand Banks, Dirt, Snow & Ice. They all look the Same, A BIG Mushroom Ball

Let’s take Edmehlig’s Lyman Gould Hollow Point, and Ron L’s Test Results for Example. Ed sent Ron both his Hollow Point Lyman Gould, and the Solid Version of the SAME Bullet. Ed’s are Cast of PURE LEAD

The Bullets (Pictures from Ron L Test) Both bullets were shot with 80 Grains of BH209
dA1mJRF.jpg

The Hollow Point Results, The bullets weighed 346.2 Grains BEFORE the Test, and 340.8 Grains AFTER the Test, a Loss of ONLY 5.4 Grains
Y8A1oWW.jpg

RB2lDuW.jpg

And here is the Solid Version, it weighed 359 Grains BEFORE the Test, and 354.7 Grains AFTER the Test, A loss of ONLY 4.3 Grains. NOT MUCH Difference in the Hollow Point VS the Solid huh? :)Both Bullets performed FLAWLESSLY in Ron’s Test, Performance here is what I would consider PERFECTION in a BIG Game Bullet
wGUa0UZ.jpg

Last edited:
You done very good ;)
I scored a 54 TC Maxi Ball and 50 Maxi Hunter(just got this one in Jan haven’t shot any yet) which are super rare her in Canada.
good score for you as well.

Love the terminal ballistic tests with your casts Idaholewis 👍

Love the terminal ballistic tests with your casts Idaholewis 👍

No credit to me on the test above, it isn’t mine. I robbed it elsewhere to use as an Example here in Comparing Hollow Point vs Solid Nose. The Man that did the Test is Ron L from another Forum. The Owner of the Bullets in the Test are from my Friend Ed Mehlig.

I feel the above is a Darn good Test, Showing How Little Difference there actually is Between a Hollow Point, and Solid Version of the SAME Bullet, Hitting the Same Test Media, Same Powder Charge Etc.

If you have enough lead behind that hollow point, all will be fine. Its when you take a iny 250gr ( or less ) projectile and hog out a huge hollow point, thats when the problems start. Powerbelts, Harvester sabortooth bullets, they both suffer from tiny mass and hollow points that are either to wide and deep or just to deep in general. The hornady great plains bullet is a good example of having mass, but a HP thats way to wide and deep. Splat!

If you have enough lead behind that hollow point, all will be fine. Its when you take a iny 250gr ( or less ) projectile and hog out a huge hollow point, thats when the problems start. Powerbelts, Harvester sabortooth bullets, they both suffer from tiny mass and hollow points that are either to wide and deep or just to deep in general. The hornady great plains bullet is a good example of having mass, but a HP thats way to wide and deep. Splat!

I FULLY agree! Good Post Jon 👍 Some folks want a Bullet to Fragment Apart, that is the FARTHEST thing from what i was taught, I want a Premium Bullet that will Stay Together, and NOT Fragment. I eat the Game that i Harvest, The last Thing i want is a Bullet that Blows apart, sending Shrapnel Throughout the Animal, Making a NASTY BloodShot Mess out of it, That you ultimately end up Throwing away

So thats what i got then. Recived a mold in a package buy a while back. Thinking i might just have to go out and test them in the 1:32 caplocks.
Best regards,
Chris

Attachments

• 20200318_095239.jpg
    20200318_095239.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 15845469911738119386989279662164.jpg
    15845469911738119386989279662164.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 15845470787363598730779035524976.jpg
    15845470787363598730779035524976.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Just noticed that model number is diffrent from above OP packaging, mine is 9237, possbly the Lymans mold?

No, that is a GENUINE TC Maxi “Hunter” Bullet Mold You have there, you have the .50 Cal TC Maxi Hunter 👍 I have the .45, and .54 Cals

The 9237 numbers you are referring to is the Mold Block “Matching Numbers” The Actual Mold # to identify the TC .50 Cal Maxi “Hunter” Mold is #7375, my .54 Cal is #7376 (These numbers are Not usually on the Mold Blocks, ONLY the Mold Halves “Matching” Numbers are found on the Blocks)

No, that is a GENUINE TC Maxi “Hunter” Bullet Mold You have there, you have the .50 Cal TC Maxi Hunter 👍 I have the .45, and .54 Cals

The 9237 numbers you are referring to is the Mold Block “Matching Numbers” The Actual Mold # to identify the TC .50 Cal Maxi “Hunter” Mold is #7375, my .54 Cal is #7376 (These numbers are Not usually on the Mold Blocks, ONLY the Mold Halves “Matching” Numbers are found on the Blocks)

Thanks for the information, appreciated. Have been using the patched roundball in my 1:32's caplocks, at least in the 50 cal's. Definitely need to pour some lead this spring and work up a load.
Best regards,
Chris

I recently ran across this .54 Cal TC Maxi Hunter Mold Brand new in it’s Package, I Had to have it 👍 I got it for a Very Reasonable price.

7376 is the .54 Cal
GPY5u4yl.jpg

3JgBq9nl.jpg

Cast of Pure Lead
aIRSvtWl.jpg

6gcl8Ysl.jpg

It Casts a REALLY Nice Bullet 👍
RG5S0fpl.jpg
Hello... I have a TC .54 cal., I have 14 of these 455 grns No. 7786. I would like to have more in stock. Can you cast me some, or would you consider selling me your mold. My Dad gave me this gun so it means alot to me... Thank You... Please respond ASAP. Thanks again.

Back