New BBL..What am I Seeing??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving on, any suggestion for a quality inline 50 cal sabot capable that will shoots both pellets and bh?
Another that comes to mind, one that my brother owns and I have shot and was impressed with was the Traditions Vortek Strykerfire VAPR. Its available in both 45 cal (my personal choice) and 50 cal. Many on this forum would warn you away from Traditions citing poor customer service issues and I can neither confirm or deny any of these claims. No shortage of that these days apparently. I would not not buy a rifle based on my fear of it breaking and then not being able to get proper warranty work from the manufacturer. My primary concern is how well does it shoot and I can confirm my brother's Strykerfire in 50 cal shooting 2 Triple 7 pellets and a Hornady Bore Driver FTX shoots sub MOA at 100 yards. What more can you ask for?

After talking with the manufacturer and taking pictures of everything clean as you did which is a good idea ,if the manufacturer would allow me to go ahead and shoot the gun I probably would have done that even with the rifling looking the way it is just more of a curiosity thing for me ,one of the most accurate barrels I ever had in my life was a $80 Adams and Bennett Barrel from Brownells years ago the rifling if you looked in the bore look like the scars on Frankenstein's neck and the bore could never be cleaned I don't care how much you scrubbed it or soaked it it shot five different factory loads less than a quarter of an inch.

Moving on, any suggestion for a quality inline 50 cal sabot capable that will shoots both pellets and bh?
Knight MZ have always shot well for me. New and used. Woodman Arms Patriot are reported to shoot well, I have never had one. Mark does beautiful work that much I can attest to. Find an Omega in good shape.

I heard back on my bbl. I’ll paraphrase, The bbl was air gauged and scoped and all was in spec!! No comment on all the irregular markings in the bbl. No sense contacting Bergara U.S., same outfit.

As an expert in air gaging, 27 years and running, I find it hard to believe that they would have a special tool to air gage a barrel AFTER it had been rifled, before yes, not after. One gages the barrel before the rifling process to insure a uniform bore. I can't say it is not possible, just not likely.

I heard back on my bbl. I’ll paraphrase, The bbl was air gauged and scoped and all was in spec!! No comment on all the irregular markings in the bbl. No sense contacting Bergara U.S., same outfit.
So they aren't going to replace the barrel? That's one of the ugliest barrels I've ever seen! I can't believe that they said that it was all in spec! Wow!

I would have definitely been let down with the barrel ,and then again I would shoot it, if it's a 50 cal 28 twist and most of what you're going to be shooting are plastic loads, I don't know that it's going to hurt anything in reality it may throw that sabot loose quicker,than a really finished rifling would, you won't have to knurl your bullets. I would personally take machine marks any day over having a bore that was loose in the bottom or loose at the end.

I had a real pleasant surprise this afternoon. As bad as this bbl looks it sure shoots good!!
Shooting Bh 73.5gr by wt, 250 gr XTP in ribbed black sabots. I shot two rounds to get on target at 40 yds. After a scope adjustment I moved out to 100 yds. After the 1st round the next 3 shot one ragged hole!! I swabbed the bbl between shots. Mnt Monkey I will be in your camp. I guess a bbl that looks like a washboard gravel road can shoot, as long as you run sabots. IMG_3465.jpeg

I was also thinking that the barrel looked pretty bad. But I was also going to say to give it a try and shoot it too. It may work out fine. It looks like you did just that. Anyway thanks for sharing and letting us know that it still works well even with the funky rifling.

Appreciated. I am an old retired guy who shoots small and large bore 3-4 times a week. An addictive hobby. Let’s pray we can look forward to that being a constitutional right in the future.

Appreciated. I am an old retired guy who shoots small and large bore 3-4 times a week. An addictive hobby. Let’s pray we can look forward to that being a constitutional right in the future.
Amen to that! That's some good shooting! I'm really surprised that it shot that good!

Always nice to have clean, picture-perfect rifling. Especially in the barrel of a new gun. It's what you pay for. Can't blame you for being pissed and wanting to send it back. I know I would.
However, I have shot some of the nastiest looking bores that have surprised me at the range.
Still, there is no excuse for those imperfections. QA has gone down hill lots of places.

Back