New Field Dressing Knife Recommendation??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been using the Swing Blaze knife from Outdoor Edge for several years. Hold an edge very well, in fact I’ve never had to touch it up during the process. The zipper blade is the best I’ve used for opening up the skin and the carcass. Keeps the hair out. 45A40C36-D5AA-4790-ACFD-626178457D80.jpegDD4185AE-F23E-4CDB-BCA6-784B4CC8AE11.jpeg

I'm kind of a knife junkie.
Probably have 30 or more from fixed blade to folders.
When I start cutting up a deer, I'll use probably 3 different knives, a good German made boning and 2 different length fillet knives.
I never had a do all knife.
When I hunt from the stand, I carry a folder and when on the ground, usually a fixed blade.

I carry a Buck 102, nice knife for field dressing, and skinning, the 105 is also nice, I debone my deer with a Victorinox 6in. deboning knife,
similar to a fillet knife but not quite as flexible

Ive got one of these and it is super sharp but the blades dont stay sharp long enough imho. They also offer gut hook blades for them. Its a handy knife for certain. Ive had folder close on me when really putting pressure on them so i dont take one hunting anymore.
These are the knives that I use. I have one that uses replaceable blades. No more sharpening. They also have what they call a swing blade and it looks like it'd be in your wheel house. After using the one I have I wouldn't consider any other knife.

I broke down and bought a havalon... Blades get dull, change them. Have a pretty simple gut hook on them as well. I own and use several "custom" knives. All are good. But I also wanted ease of use AND if it got full... Change the blade and roll on. I have several bucks. 110 is ALWAYS in my pack. I also have a couple of the bucks selector. Quick Google search shows they now have a selector 2.0. That may fit your bill for a new knife. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

I use a Rapala 4” filet knife. Comes with a little ceramic hone for something like $15.00. Sturdy yet flexible. I use it for everything. Works great for deboning and easy to keep an edge on it. I use the two finger method for gutting as well. I love it for skinning also. Just my .02

A two bladed knife with a gut hook and I never got along, seemed the hook was always in the way. I have always made a small incision, stuck in two fingers with the sheep hoof blade of a stockmans knife between them and opened 'em up. Fingers hold insides down and the short blade has no point to poke insides. Dad taught me that (he was a sheepman) and I have been doing it since 1955.

Louie
Yeah, I do this from time to time as well, I simply like the ease of the gut hook in different situations.

Check out knives if Alaska, great steel, I carry the Yukon model, no gut hook but the shape of blade acts like one. I also have with me the old buck 110 hunter. With these two knives all the cleaning can be done. You really can’t go wrong with a buck knife. Knives of Alaska also have models with the gut hook. Have you thought about sending your knife in to bucks sharpening service, they’ll put a new edge to it, or replace the blade.

Never found a way to sharpen a gut hook on a knife to where it was useful, to me they were something not needed.
I havent had to try and sharpen a gut hook yet. I think the design just keeps them from much abuse that can dull them. But youve got me thinking about how to do it and a chainsaw sharpener file would probably do the trick. I dont have a chainsaw so I never had to sharpen one.

I havent had to try and sharpen a gut hook yet. I think the design just keeps them from much abuse that can dull them. But youve got me thinking about how to do it and a chainsaw sharpener file would probably do the trick. I dont have a chainsaw so I never had to sharpen one.
A ceramic or diamond rod is what you useIMG_0062__94867.jpg

Yeah, I do this from time to time as well, I simply like the ease of the gut hook in different situations.
i have yet to kill/dress a deer so i'm sharing purely out of my ASSumptions .....

but there's plenty of folks around here using gut hooks and plenty that do the finger method . i considered a havalon but didn't care for the blade only having about a 2 inch cutting length due to the thingy on the side the blade attaches to and looking at youtube videos i could easily see me cutting myself changing the blade on a havalon . and the OE razor-pro gut hook/zipper blade looks like it could be easily sharpened with a ceramic stick or the bottom of a coffee cup if/when it need's it . the OE blades can be sharpened also .

i lack the skill set to dress a deer so i try to make it easier on myself , but i have several folks offering to help me when i get one . everything isn't for everybody .

BTW ... anyone use a butt-out ?

Back