New from MI

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Bowhunter

Reaction score
Hello all!! Despite my name, I also enjoy shooting and hunting with a muzzleloader and pretty much anything else that goes boom or flings a projectile. I use the name almost everywhere and it just seems easier to remain consistent.

I started out with a CVA Eclipse many years ago and am now using a Traditions Buckstalker loaded up with Pyrodex pellets and topped with a 250gr Barnes Expander MZ. I've been pretty happy with that combination at least on the range. The jury is still out on how it performs on game, I just switched over after last season. I had been using Hornady SST's but after taking a few deer with them I really did not like the expansion, or lack thereof, I was getting.

I've been eyeing the Knight Mountaineer and think that may be my next upgrade at some point. I've also been looking at getting a kit and putting together my own old school rifle.

I stumbled upon this site while looking for some info and decided to register to expand my knowledge and hopefully contribute as well. Thanks for having me!!

Welcome. I grew up in the NW rural U.P. Of MI. I've been in WI for a long time now but go to the U.P. a handful of times a year, family, a camp, hunting, and the rest.

I started with 'black powder' like many, side-locks and real black powder. Now I 'm content to use a tweaked up modern in-line. I never feel handicapped at all over my centerfire rifles. I do a lot of IL hunting, so the in-line meshes well where center fires are not allowed for deer hunting.

I have drifted to Knight over the years, but there are several good options. The average M-L takes some experimentation and trial and maybe some error to get it set up most effectively. One can do a little reading here to hopefully jump ahead instead of muddling along with a less than optimum combination.

Then there are an almost unlimited number of components one can use, bullets,sabots, powders, charges, primers, etc. many can be quite workable, no reason we all have to use the same.

Welcome to the Forum, glad you found us. Tons of great info here and lots of great guys willing to share info freely. :yeah:

Back