New IWB Holster

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregaw

Reaction score
I finally finished making a holster I started many months ago and then 'forgot' about for a while. It is all Kydex held together with those two piece rivets.

I started out by heating an approximately sized piece Kydex in the oven. After is became pliable I used two boards and a couple pieces of carpet foam to sandwich the gun into the kydex to get a nice basic shape.

After that I used a "craft" heat gun (yes my wife's) to heat smaller portions to tighten or loosen the fit. Cut away the excess Kydex with tin snips and then used a grinder shape and smooth out the curves.

That's all I did several months ago. Today I cut out a second piece of Kydex for the clip and heated with the afore mentioned heat gun and fit it to the holster. Then riveted it down and after a couple of tries and trimming got the clip right. Forming the clip piece so it didn't sit too tight against the holster thus allowing the shirt to tuck in and of course only putting the rivets down at the bottom. The edges were smoothed with sandpaper.

I wore it for a couple hours to my son's Karate class. It worked very well and I'm very happy with it! I careful when attaching the second piece to be sure my cant was where I wanted it. We'll see how well it holds up now!

Holster2.jpg

Holster1.jpg

8) Nice design and custom work there gregaw.

What temperature and how long did you need to have it in the oven to make it pliable :?:

I did 325 for about 5 minutes or so. Just wait until the corners start to curl up a little bit. I just wore some leather work gloves to handle it. The stuff is just amazing. It's so easy to work with. Very forgiving, just heat it up and try again! I haven't 'melted' it yet.

I also made this cheek rest for my savage with some thicker Kydex. (this is the only picture I have of it online right now:
rifle10fp-1.jpg

I have a project or two in mind. I know now who to go to now with my Kydex questions :)

I'm no expert, but I'd be happy to share my experiences! I'm sold on the stuff. I have 3 kydex hosters now, two I made and a crossbread, plus the cheek rest. I bought the kydex sheets on ebay.

wow thats pretty sweet! I never knew you could do the home made stuff out of this. I most certainly will look in to it!

Back