New Mexico legal muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSR

Reaction score
I have a very good friend who lives in Northern New Mexico and they have some great Mule deer hunting. Tags aren't easy to draw but I figured I would try and need a recommendation on a muzzleloader that would be legal. What would be a good muzzleloader that specifically fits their regulations?

Also Legal sporting arms for deer, elk, pronghorn, bighorn sheep, ibex, oryx, Barbary sheep and bear (big-game sporting arms): any muzzle-loading firearm at least .45 caliber or larger.

Muzzleloader, crossbow or bow only: Hunters may use any legal muzzleloader with open or "iron" sights, any legal bow or any legal crossbow during regular muzzleloader hunts (see also restricted muzzleloader). Scopes, red dots or other similar sights are not allowed on muzzleloaders during a muzzleloader hunt. See Licenses, applications, harvest reporting and general information: 1-888-248-6866 2023–2024 29 definition of muzzleloader on page 125. Sabots and in-line ignition may be used with muzzleloaders except during restricted muzzleloader deer hunts. No drugs may be used on arrows or bolts, and arrows and bolts (see arrow and bolt on page 122) cannot be driven by explosives, gunpowder or compressed air. Airbows and all guns firing arrows or bolts are illegal.

Restricted Muzzleloader for deer: Only a muzzle-loading rifle using open sights, black powder or equivalent propellant and firing a full bore diameter bullet or patched round ball is legal. The use of in-line ignition, scopes, and smokeless powder are prohibited. Bows and crossbows are legal during restricted muzzleloader deer hunts.

Restricted Muzzleloader for deer: Only a muzzle-loading rifle using open sights, black powder or equivalent propellant and firing a full bore diameter bullet or patched round ball is legal. The use of in-line ignition, scopes, and smokeless powder are prohibited. Bows and crossbows are legal during restricted muzzleloader deer hunts.
I thought they Only Outlawed Scopes for 2023. I didn't realize Inline Ignition & Sabots were also Illegal!

I wish you had some good news, all my experience has been with in-lines and scopes for the most part.

I'm sure I will get some hate for this, but I think this is how all states should be.

IMO muzzleloading seasons were set as they were viewed as a primitive weapon, but now they have turned into a slowly reloaded single-shot rifle. They have ballistics that matches modern legal centerfire rifle cartridges, you just have to hand load in the field. Pretty much all of today's inlines are capable of killing a deer size animal out to 250-300 yards.

I am a western hunting consultant and hunter, there is a reason that the tag with the most range restrictions is easier to draw, IE archery then muzzy then a rifle. Now don't get me wrong, I am all for putting as many eggs in my basket as I can to be successful, I am not a muzzleloading purist, I am a hunter who goes into the field with the goal of harvesting an animal.

IMO muzzleloading seasons were set as they were viewed as a primitive weapon, but now they have turned into a slowly reloaded single-shot rifle. They have ballistics that matches modern legal centerfire rifle cartridges, you just have to hand load in the field. Pretty much all of today's inlines are capable of killing a deer size animal out to 250-300 yards.
And how is that any different than the fast twist 45s that have been made since the mid 1800s? Assuming both have iron sights, they both seem pretty lethal well past 200 yards if the shooter can do his part. Big lead moving 1400fps or less has been around a long long time and will virtually match a 45-90 or better.

If you dont think a 460gr leaving the muzzle at 1350fps wont plow thru a deer at 300 yards you might want to dbl check its ballistics.

And how is that any different than the fast twist 45s that have been made since the mid 1800s? Assuming both have iron sights, they both seem pretty lethal well past 200 yards if the shooter can do his part. Big lead moving 1400fps or less has been around a long long time and will virtually match a 45-90 or better.

If you dont think a 460gr leaving the muzzle at 1350fps wont plow thru a deer at 300 yards you might want to dbl check its ballistics.
Because I would bet 90% of the shooters who could hit a deer size target at 250-300 yards with a scoped weapon, couldn't do it at 200 yards with iron sights.

So your problem is with shooters, not the firearm used to do the deed. Same rifles shot back then are still winning 500 yard+ matches today shooting the same type of bullets. Many of which have plenty of energy and velocity past 200 yards to ethically harvest game.

Somehow placing the ignition source inline has made the huge change when in reality, it didnt. My Knight 45 1-20s are no more lethal shooting these loads than the Gibbs/Mortimer/Volunteer/Ect rifles from back then....Its probably the reason i shoot big lead in mine.....Well proven, simple and very deadly.

So your problem is with shooters, not the firearm used to do the deed. Same rifles shot back then are still winning 500 yard+ matches today shooting the same type of bullets. Many of which have plenty of energy and velocity past 200 yards to ethically harvest game.

Somehow placing the ignition source inline has made the huge change when in reality, it didnt. My Knight 45 1-20s are no more lethal shooting these loads than the Gibbs/Mortimer/Volunteer/Ect rifles from back then....Its probably the reason i shoot big lead in mine.....Well proven, simple and very deadly.
Yes I agree. The rifles were always capable, but the modern magnified riflescopes are what allowed those 300+ yard shots at game. Peep sights are just a type of open sight and should be legal according to the regulations. Maybe a day will come when some form of magnification restrictions on rifle scopes used for hunting will happen & I predict that may occur in the next 25 years.

At least one state has ruled that only 1x optical sights allowed during muzzle loading periods, might have been PA. Even 1x would let me be reasonably accurate, traditional v style rear are pretty much useless to me these days, I need a peep at the very least because of my eyes. I'd like to see the above changed allow 1x optical sights.

I wonder how they would rule on a non-optical tube sight?

Latest posts

Back