New Nevada Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carone

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting into muzzleloader hunting and after doing a fair amount of research I am left with a number of questions. Nevada requires a minimum of 45 caliber and has a no scope rule but 209s and blackhorn are fair game. I am having a difficult time deciding what kind of rifle to purchase. I was thinking about going with something that is favored by longer range shooters like a Remington Ultimate or a CVA Paramount but I am concerned that the gun will outshoot the sights and be overkill for what I need. It also sounds like a CVA Accura or Optima are popular choices and offer factory sights.

At this point in time I don’t see myself hunting outside of Nevada. I would ideally like a muzzleloader that should be capable of reliably reaching out to 200 to 250 yards (I assume that is the realistic limitation of iron sights in a hunting situation but I may off on that). What rifles would you recommend to given the Nevada regulations? Are factory installed sights any good or am I better off buying my own? Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Welcome from Oklahoma.
Check out some of Idaho Lewis videos on YouTube.
He is a great long range marksman using globe and peep sights. It will give you some ideas for what you're looking for.

Welcome Carone. Don't rule out Knight Disc and Woodman Arms Patriot. Getting into MLs is a great idea for more than just adding hunting opportunity. Eventually you'll wonder why you even bother with CF guns.

Thank you both for the replies. What Lewis is able to do with iron sights on an ML is almost magic. Haha. For sure gives me some ideas on sight types.

I am open to any brand of ML and will look into the models you mentioned above. In my research I was just able to learn more about CVA and they are a bit easier to find locally.

With that being said I think part of the issue I’m struggling with with any of the brands if it’s it’s worth moving up their lineups to a higher level models given I have to use iron sights.Just using CVA as and example with all else being equal will you notice difference in a 200 yard shot with iron sights between a paramount, accura, or optima?

If you end up hunting other states (even though you're currently not planning to) having a sidelock over an inline will open up a lot of opportunities. Worth looking at Idaholewis sidelock shooting videos. I'm working on getting my sidelock out to 250 yards, mind you that's a long shot with open sights!

I've got a lyman 57 SML tang peep and a Lee Shaver PH globe sight on mine. Shooting 250 Gr hornady Monoflex Coppers. Killed two buffalo with the set-up last year.

it would be easier to narrow down the gun for you if you had a price range in mind. Every one listed will shoot to 200yds, imho, if you're able to shoot well enough.
The Optima is a super gun at an easy price. The Wolfs are good guns and inexpensive. Rem Ultimates are real nice but pricey now. Imo knight is a better gun at same or lower price. Woodman is a super gun by all accounts at a very reasonable price for what you get. No matter which you get you'll probably have to adjust, modify or change something to better fit your needs.

If you want to shoot BH209, then the gun has to use hot 209 primers. You want to have it fit so you don't get blowback around the breechplug. For my Accura V2 .45, Win 209 primers come out clean, but I haven't seen any for sale for several years. BH209 is very clean, so you don't need to swab between shots. It will spoil you. If you want to save money, you can shoot 777 powder. It ignites well with #11 caps. If you use hot primers with 777 you'll have a crud ring, which I find I have to swab between shots. With #11 caps and 777, I still swab, but I don't get that hard ring you get with 209 primers.

Thank you to everyone for your advise.

Bushfire, that sight setup seems like a great hunting setup with the larger front globe for better low light visibility

I am actually leaning more towards a 45 cal which should make the ML selection a bit easier as they are not as common. Unfortunately that also seems to take some of the less expensive options off the table. I’d like to spend under $1k and run 209s and blackthorn. I think that leaves me options like the Knight UL, CVA Paramount and Accura, and the Woodman Patriot (I am really loving this one I just wish a local dealer had one I could hold). Are there any other options I should consider? Again thank you all for your input

My inline is a Thompson Center Triumph Bone Collector, its a great gun and I've shot plenty of deer with it. Light and very manageable recoil.

Mine was a 50, not sure if they do a 45.

Thanks again for all the input. I have narrowed it down to 3 rifles. The Woodman, the Knight UL, and the CVA Accura MR-X. I am really leaning towards the Woodman especially after speaking with Mark. He was extremely helpful and it was great to know that if I ever had a question about the rifle I could always call. I am not sure what barrel makes the most sense for the Woodman the 1:24 or the 1:20 Cut. For hunting do full barrel bullets have any real advantage or sabots under 250 yards? Do any of these ML have better sight options ( I notice a lot of the adjustable peep sights were made for specific MLs)?

Sabotless has the advantage of not having to wait as much for the barrel to cool between shots. Sabots hate a warm barrel and sabot selection is basically 3. I would really lean towards a Brux 1-20. That is a top shelf barrel used by many custom builders. The Green Mountain barrel Knight uses are good and if you want to just shoot sabots its 8 lands vs the 6 land Brux. I prefer 8 lands for shooting sabots.

Woodman mentioned trying some of the McGowen 45cal 1-22s on his next order. That is a pretty decent sabot shooter too and should save you some coin vs the Brux. That barrel was used for years as an affordable option when doing Savage 45cal conversions. Its also a 8 land barrel.

Latest posts

Back