New Nevada Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! If it was me, I'd go with a fast twist .45 Knight UL hands down. The Woodman is also a great option for fast twist .45 Both are high quality, and made in USA :lewis:

Personally, not a fan of the CVA's but if you want a decent rifle that is less expensive you could go that route. Alot of folks have them and they certainly get the job done.

I am 99% sure I'll be going with the Woodman with a Brux barrel. The only thing I need to confirm is what kind of adjustable sight options I have. When looking at sights made for specific guns does the Woodman share a mounting style with any of these. For example if I want to go with a Williams FP which FP do I order?

Hi Carone, welcome to this great site, full of great reading. Just curious on why you want to go with iron sights when you could legally use a scope? I feel for the distance you want to shoot, 250 yards, you would be ALOT more accurate with a scope at any range. Seeing a small target lets you group your bullets in a smaller group, which is what we all strive for. IMHO..SHORTY

Thanks for the welcome Shorty.

In my home state of Nevada iron sights are required during ML season

By bad. I was going off what you said in your post number 1. Ty and i am sure you will make out ok with you iron sights..

Welcome from Wi . I feel sorry for your wife. Just kidding of course. It's a addicting hobby.

When looking at sights made for specific guns does the Woodman share a mounting style with any of these.

You can by-pass that problem by getting a rear aperture sight that mounts to a Weaver style scope mount. I have one made by NECG, and I'm pretty sure there are others.

Sabotless has the advantage of not having to wait as much for the barrel to cool between shots. Sabots hate a warm barrel and sabot selection is basically 3. I would really lean towards a Brux 1-20. That is a top shelf barrel used by many custom builders. The Green Mountain barrel Knight uses are good and if you want to just shoot sabots its 8 lands vs the 6 land Brux. I prefer 8 lands for shooting sabots.

Woodman mentioned trying some of the McGowen 45cal 1-22s on his next order. That is a pretty decent sabot shooter too and should save you some coin vs the Brux. That barrel was used for years as an affordable option when doing Savage 45cal conversions. Its also a 8 land barrel.

i did not know that about sabots ...... good to know .

Thank you to everyone for your advise.

Bushfire, that sight setup seems like a great hunting setup with the larger front globe for better low light visibility

I am actually leaning more towards a 45 cal which should make the ML selection a bit easier as they are not as common. Unfortunately that also seems to take some of the less expensive options off the table. I’d like to spend under $1k and run 209s and blackthorn. I think that leaves me options like the Knight UL, CVA Paramount and Accura, and the Woodman Patriot (I am really loving this one I just wish a local dealer had one I could hold). Are there any other options I should consider? Again thank you all for your input
Come on over to Utah and you can handle mine for a minutePatriot.PNG

I am 99% sure I'll be going with the Woodman with a Brux barrel. The only thing I need to confirm is what kind of adjustable sight options I have. When looking at sights made for specific guns does the Woodman share a mounting style with any of these. For example if I want to go with a Williams FP which FP do I order?
Also, the Brux does not come with the front sight threaded barrel for some reason?
I may have a gunsmith do that for mine if Utah decides to make us take scopes off muzzleloaders soon?

FYI, the rear hole spacing matches a Marlin model 336 lever action.

Latest posts

Back