new savage 10 ML II owner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREELIZARD

Reaction score
I would like to say thanks to Tar-12 for recommending this sight to me and for all of his help so far. I just ordered my new 10ML II on saturday from natchez shooters supplies and i should have it here by the end of the week, I already ordered a four pack of Randy Wakemans vent liners, I already have the scope for it its a leupold 3-9x40. now i need to order the mounts and rings so i was thinking about the warne maxima 2 piece steel weaver style bases and the warne 1" maxima rings in the medium height. but will the medium height rings give me enough clearence or do i need to go with the tall rings? will the 1" rings fit my scope or do i need to go with the 30mm rings? I also need to order the EZ tool for breech plug removal. is there any thing else that im missing?

TREELIZARD said:
I would like to say thanks to Tar-12 for recommending this sight to me and for all of his help so far. I just ordered my new 10ML II on saturday from natchez shooters supplies and i should have it here by the end of the week, I already ordered a four pack of Randy Wakemans vent liners, I already have the scope for it its a leupold 3-9x40. now i need to order the mounts and rings so i was thinking about the warne maxima 2 piece steel weaver style bases and the warne 1" maxima rings in the medium height. but will the medium height rings give me enough clearence or do i need to go with the tall rings? will the 1" rings fit my scope or do i need to go with the 30mm rings? I also need to order the EZ tool for breech plug removal. is there any thing else that im missing?

Congratulations! You'll be real happy with the Savage. As far as the rings 1" medium rings are what you need and are good for scopes up to 44mm objectives so yes you'll have plenty of height. :wink:

One other suggestion, I would go with the Quick-Detach Maxima rings. It makes it nice to be able to pull the scope off for cleaning, etc. :)

Glad you made it over here Treelizard! Welcome!! We have a good bunch of guys on here. Fire away man!

Congratulations TREELIZARD, I got mine last week and haven't shot it yet....don't care...it's beautiful and getting rid of all that stinky, dirty stuff was icing on the cake. Good shooting, smoker

Nic_58, is this ram rod intended to be a range rod or will it fit where the Savages original rod is carried? smoker

smoker said:
Nic_58, is this ram rod intended to be a range rod or will it fit where the Savages original rod is carried?
Smoker, the ramrod that I provided the link to will fit PERFECTLY in place of the ramrod that comes with the Savage 10ML-II. The "T" handle on the end folds flat when placed in the thimbles on the rifle for a sleek, clean fit. The Knight branded rod and the XS Powerrod are one and the same. The 22" model is the one you need.

Hey guys thanks for the the warm welcome and thanks for the replies. well the UPS guy paid me a visit today and he had my new savage with him :p . i took it out of the box, read the owners manual and inspected and cleaned the gun. i was disapointed with the quality of the black synthetic stock but the rest ot the gun looks great. Nic 58 thanks for the link for the ramrod i'll have to get one of those

i was disapointed with the quality of the black synthetic stock but the rest ot the gun looks great.

Don't worry..it should still shoot just fine. I shot back to back 1.2 and 1.3 inch groups today with my synthetic stocked 10ML-II today!

Thank you Nic_58 and Big6x6. I just ordered that ram rod from mid south. I was really having a problem pulling out that rod....arthritis!!! At least with the new one I'll be able to grab on to something. Thanks again. smoker

i use an older knight solid ramrod for an mk-85 but in looking for a buddy i cannot find another :cry:

hey big6x6: what loads are you using to shoot those groups thats pretty impresive? :applause: thanks

TREELIZARD said:
hey big6x6: what loads are you using to shoot those groups thats pretty impresive? :applause: thanks

Hey Treelizard! Here's a BIG welcome to the board! :D

I MAINLY took my newest two 10ML-IIs to the range to try things I have NOT tried before...I tried some SR-4759 for one thing. I have not used much of that at all.. 40gr of SR-4759 and a 300gr SST did VERY well from both guns. 2024 ft/sec average velocity too! That moving out pretty good for a 300gr bullet.. 38gr N-110 and a 260gr D/C @2003 fps did very well also. BUT over and over the best groups I get are with 40-42gr VV N-110. The best bullets YESTERDAY were with the Barnes 250gr Expander. EXCELLENT groups! Of all the groups I shot yesterday the best were with 42gr VV N-110 and the Barnes 250gr Expander. Groups from my stainless/laminate were 1.2 inch and 1.4 inch..groups from the blue/synthetic were 1.2 and 1.3 inches! Average velocity of 12 shots from both rifles 2305fps. All in all out of four different 10ML-IIs I have not found much that will beat 40-42gr of VV N-110 and a 250gr .452 XTP, 250gr SST, or 250gr Barnes Expander.

All in all out of four different 10ML-IIs I have not found much that will beat 40-42gr of VV N-110 and a 250gr .452 XTP, 250gr SST, or 250gr Barnes Expander.

And those loads that did beat it are the ones I would bet many would like to hear about!
For accuracy purposes/testing I am gonna try the load Big 6x6 recommended on the little project I have going on for alot of my testing of the rifle itself before moving on to higher horsepower loads for hunting.
Low recoil and great accuracy is what Chuck reported for the 35 gr load of VV N-110 and a 250 SST, but I may use an xtp for the cost difference. Velocity is low around 1900fps if I recall correctly. Should help me work out any accuracy bugs with the rifle a little quicker due to less needed barrel cooling time, at least thats the hoped for objective.

R-Man, You got a picture of that top secret project that you would like to share with us?

QUestion; has anyone tried a 240 Gr. 44 caliber bullet with the Hornady green sabot? I used this in my 77/50 with 100 gr. pyyrodex pellets (2) 50's. Suppose this load with smokeless should have much better performance in the velocity department, but accuracy?? The gun never had outstanding accuracy but would do 2 to 3" groups at 100. Just thinkin out loud. smoker

Back