New TC Prohunter XT vs. FX

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuietMan

Reaction score
Complete newbie on ML's...

I'm leaning toward the Pro Hunter XT to have the option of center fire in the furture and the fact that the rifle is designed to up to a 500 in the Katahdin rifle.

Has anyone had hands on with this ML?

I have yet to be able to put my hands on one to check it out, big box stores don't usually carry the Pro Hunter, at least not near me.

Thanks in advance

I have the ProHunter. I personally can't see the sense of buying the FX and losing the centerfire options.

I have not seen a FX yet i stores but here in NY both Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops usually have the Pro Hunter weather it be a XT model or Endevor model. It you want the option of the centerfire then you answered your own question. I personally would lean towards a FX model but I live in a slug only area of NY and have not use for a rifle but I love the way a Pro Hunter shoulders and handles, just not the price attached to it or the upgrades that need to be done to get them to shoot well. At least in my own opinion if you are going to drop the money for a complete T/C Pro Hunter it hasd better be good to go out of box. Now I say complete T/C because you can save a few hundred by buying a frame and stock off of the net and adding a Bergara barrel for half the cost of a T/C barrel and get a more accurate gun for less money.

If it was me, I would try a less $ model first.Just to see if you enjoy the sport.Might even want to check the used market out.Be carefull the muzzle loader bug bit me awhile back and now I am additcted.

The pro hunter is great but from what I am told needs some upgrades from Bellm to be a tack driver.If am spending close or more then 900 on a ML I don't want to have to make upgrades . The Triumph , omega , impact all cost less and are great guns too out of the box..

TC built the FX model to cure the hinge pin issuse so commmon is most pro hunters I am told.

Thanks guys...I have read some of the same things about TC...The biggest issue I have read about is the need to have trigger work done.

Ohio is a ML or Slug state...I bow hunt only right now and just looking to add in a ML to have something different to do a few times a year.

I think I'm starting to answer my own question...I do have other rifles I could use for centerfire when I need them. All of my guns are inherrited and this will be the first new rifle I have bought for myself and I just don't want to sell myself short down the road.

If I go with the FX I could spend a little extra on the glass for the top.

With the XT...Do you need to buy a new forend for each barrel? I was surprised to see a barrel and forend in one of the shops.

As far as trigger on a ProHunter, mine shot sub moa with the factory trigger. It was heavy at 6 lbs but still wasn't a bad trigger. I did send mine off for a custom 2 lb trigger job but it shot good with the factory.

I know the FX can be ordered without FFL...

I was curious if there was any significant velocity loss with the 26" barrel FX vs the 28" XT?

I know about being bitten...Started bow hunting 3 years ago...Best thing I ever did...To have deer at 8 or 10 yards and have them not even notice me...
I grew up shooting rifles and it became to easy...I wanted the challenge of a bow...I think that's why I like the idea of a ML and 1 shot...Not to mention Ohio only allows ML and shotgun for deer and ML can be used for all those seasons...

You sound a lot like me..

You won't be disappointmented . Good luck with your decision.
Steve

Thanks Steve...I think I'm leaning toward the FX...the amount of time I will be hunting out of OH is slim...Spend the difference on glass for the top.

I think either one would work good for you. T/C usually makes a great product. My brother-in-law has the ProHunter and my nephew has an Encore. As far as I know, no complaints at all. They take several deer each season with both rifles.

If you really want the option of switching barrels, the CVA Apex is a nice gun for the money.

Latest posts

Back